Here I go again, this time a 1954 Feathercraft

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finished the Glaspar, and now sale is pending. I had a little fun on the lake with it, but I am itching to get started on this

000_0005-7.jpg

It's a 1954 Feathercraft 12 ft D-lux Runabout.

My Grandfather Bought it used in 1964 ( I think) and it originally had a Johnson 25hp Seahorse. The motor is MIA over the years and he thinks it went to the new owner when he sold the lake house. The Boat stayed with us. I used to fish on it in upstate NY as a kid using an old elgin 3.5 motor

I finally brought it down to NC 5 years ago and the first thing I did was strip the two coats of EPOXY paint (yup, grandfather was a tile mason and it's what he had)

4 Gallons of stripper and a whole summer and I ended up with the silver boat.

000_0004-4.jpg

Check out the kneeboards on this transom
000_0006-5.jpg

I already made new patterns from the old plywood of all the wood peices (seats, floor, etc) and they are still stored in the shop...I have the cleats and hardware as well as the Johnson Control box/cables (in good shape)

I plan to hopefully power it with the 1960 West Bend 16 HP outboard he bought new at a department store in 1960.
000_0001_1.jpg

I cleaned the points and fresh gas and it fired right up after over 20 years of sitting

I'll need to find a trailer too:D

Hopefully will have this one at least in the water (but not finished) in the next couple weeks

Dave

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Here I go again, this time a 1954 Feathercraft

Dave that is a sweet looking classic Tinny . I look forward to seeing your resto on her :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Well...It's not a starcraft....Ummmm..

I LOVE IT!
PLUS family ties too?

Ya killin me!

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks!

I really can't wait to start on it!

I have had it for over 5 years, just moving it around the yard.....stripping the paint 5 years ago was enough I had to take a break from it.

This thing shines like an airplane when you polish it right. I ordered a "sample" of this special aluminum polish and did a corner to see how it turns out and I could shave my face in the spot. The whole boat will look like a mirror on the lake.

I saved the Bimini top from the Glaspar boat (hey, new owner cAn't have EVERYTHING LOL) and will cut the frame down (need 54 inches across, current width of Bimini is 74 inches) and a friend who does upholstery can shorten the canvas for about $40 :D

The Family Ties part is great. Here's a good story:

When I was a kid in Tully NY on "Green Lake" I used this boat to fish with with the 3.5 Elgin (spin around for reverse).

One night I was out just at twilight fishing about 100 yards from shore...just out from the community "parK" at the end of the lake....right next to the park was a little spot people would park their cars and go swimming after hours

So I am sitting there, just old enough to realize girls weren't nasty and made me "feel a little funny", when suddenly at the swimming spot on shore 4 teenage girls walked down, shucked their clothes and went in au natural. I got enough glimpses of things I wouldn't learn about for at least 2 years later, but I will never forget that night, that boat, and what I wished I could've seen closer now that I am a dirty old man :D

I will post more pics as I get along

Dave

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW the "69 Starcraft" name comes from when I first Joined Iboats

I bought my uncles 69 starcraft while at home on Vacation one christmas

With all hopes of restoring it to its prime as it was the boat I learned to ski on, and was parked next to my Skinny Dip Voyeur boat :D (i went out fishing EVERY NIGHT after above story that summer)

The boat was not restorable....over the years my cousin (his daughter) and husband abused it until it was shambles..

If I could change my Iboat name I would, but don't know how. I don't have the 69 starcraft any longer so it does seem kind silly

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

That tinnie looks sweet, kinda like a big steam iron for pressing bed sheets :D
I notice the tinnies are fast & simple to retore, so I guess you'll be finished in a few weeks.
Also, cool skinny dip story, I wonder what they look like now:eek:

BTW: I don't think it's possible to change your screen name unless you register over and start off as a cadet again. If you decide to register again put your old name in your signiture for awhile so we know it's you ;)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Great story..I would never sell that boat ever if it was my first "glimpse":D
and to top it off, you said you took PICS too....lol

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, No Pics of the skinny dippers. They never came back again, and trust me I was there every night waiting :D

Here's an update

Bought this on CL for $125

I think it was actually a Starcraft boat...open bow and aluminum. Needed a complete restoration, but the hull was in great shape.

Don't kill me, but I only wanted the trailer, so I promptly took better photos of the boat after a quick clean up and re-posted it on CL sans trailer for $150

000_0001-2.jpg

She sold within 3 hours...obviously I didn't ask enough for it, but I wanted it gone fast. He left a $500 deposit, went and dumped the boat off, and returned trailer. I got a free trailer in excellent shape, $25 cash, AND I pulled off the Transom mount piece needed to hook up a teleflex cable to an old outboard (about $150 worth of parts)

Remember also I Still Have the Bimin Top from the old Glaspar I sold for $2k :D

So here is how she sits now Everything is just sitting in it for photos...I don't plan on motoring in the lake with a chunk of 2X4 for a transom lol

000_0001-3.jpg

000_0005-8.jpg

000_0008.jpg

Transom is next, then registration

then polish polish polish and more polish (she cleans up and shines like a mirror)

Then I should be able to use it to fish with the kid while I restore the interior, fix the gawd awful dash, and eventually find a 25 - 40 HP motor with controls for it

Dave

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well she is legal now!! :D

Called Fish and Game and explained that the paperwork was MIA and boat was last registered in NY in 1960.

They only required a short paragraph on paper from me of who owned the boat and how I came into possession of it. This paper was notarized by them and $15 later I have valid #'s and Sticker.

I'm Going to Lowes in a minute to get a piece of wood for the transom and hopefully will have her in the water for a test run either Tomorrow or this weekend.

Anyone have any Ideas of what to do with the Dash? I don't see how I can repair the holes in it, so I'm going to have to cover the whole dash with something and start over for Speedo, Voltmeter, switches and etc. I picked up a nice whiteface lighted Speedo kit (pitot, tube included) off Overtons clearance table for $25 (half off)

Boat also originally had steering wheel and controls on the left and I think I am going to have to move it to the right side when I get a newer motor with control box. Not sure yet.

Dave

Rickairmedic

Commander

Dave I would rivet a piece of aluminum over the whole dash for a fresh start . You should be able to get a ( drop ) big enough from a local metal supply place to cover the entire dash. That way you wont have to buy a full 4X8 sheet just to get that piece.

Rick

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

She got wet yesterday!!!:D

000_0004-5.jpg

After not seeing water for over 25 years we dropped her in yesterday about 2pm and didn't leave until almost 6pm

My boy and I spent all day fishing, putting around, and enjoying the lake.

It sure was neat being back on the boat I spent my childhood fishing on. It sure feels smaller too (or I guess I grew).

No leaks of any kind....we picked up about maybe 1/2 gallon of water from the kid jumping in and out of the boat to swim and thats it. I'll install a bilge pump and that will keep that under control....

Motor Ran flawlessly. Initially when we left the dock and I opened it up for the first time she took off and then bogged down.. Acted like fuel starvation....checked, and the fitting on the gas tank is crappy and was sucking air. A zip tie fixed this for now and we were off.

000_0011.jpg

I've never driven this boat so fast before. When I had it as a kid was just a 3.5 on it. The 16 makes the boat fly. I think we reached at least 20 mph. The shape of the boat and the "rails" on the side make her carve through the water like a dream.

Steering from the back (tiller) sucks! This is gonna get changed as soon as I figure out how to hook controls to the west bend.

000_0016.jpg

Yes, the old hippie driving is me:D

Here's the kid on his first ever fishing trip! We didn't catch anything but a good time!

000_0014.jpg

Dave

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Oh man! That is just too cool! You must be really proud to have the boat and motor your grandfather owned. What a great job of bringing back the Feathercraft to original condition.

Do you think the original style wire cable steering can be found or will a traditional rotary/rack helm be installed?

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh man! That is just too cool! You must be really proud to have the boat and motor your grandfather owned. What a great job of bringing back the Feathercraft to original condition.

Do you think the original style wire cable steering can be found or will a traditional rotary/rack helm be installed?

Yeah I am pretty proud.

I never thought I would ever get around to getting the 16 ever running again. I was surprised that all it took was wiping some white chalky corrosion from the points and fresh gas. She fired right up and ran in a bucket quite a few times before sucking something into the carb. A quick carb clean and rebuild and I have had no issues.

I have a post in the "other outboards" forum trying to figure out if controls ever came as an option for this motor and trying to get a photo. There is a hole in the middle (near the tiller) where the bolt would go for remote steering so I can only logically assume they offered some kind of control setup also. I can't see running to the back to speed up or switch gears :D

Originally this motor went on a 12 foot rowboat. The Feathercraft originally had a 25 HP Johnson (the old green sea horse) I still have the working control box for the johnson, but motor is long gone. I only ever saw it used once on this boat. The rest of the time it just had the 3.5 Elgin on it.

To my knowledge this is the first time the 16 has been used on the 54

I have all the components to put in the old cable style steering, but most likely will go with rotary. When I was shopping for a system for the Glaspar I went and looked at a whole rotary helm a guy on CL wanted $25 for. It was too short, but I emailed him shortly after and asked if he would go ahead and cut it out of the boat and i will pay him for it. I had it in mind for this boat

I am going to be doing A LOT to this boat over the year. Eventually it will look like a mirror on the water when I am done polishing it.

and BTW, once again, I got loads of comments and stares on her at the ramp. All the Frat boys with the $50,000 moombas didn't get a second look while I was there. Everyone wanted to come up and talk about my old boat. :D

Andy in NY

Commander

I think it was actually a Starcraft boat...open bow and aluminum. Needed a complete restoration, but the hull was in great shape.

Don't kill me, but I only wanted the trailer, so I promptly took better photos of the boat after a quick clean up and re-posted it on CL sans trailer for $150

000_0001-2.jpg

that def is a starcraft, late 60's super sport.actually looked like it was in good shape, i would have paid triple that 150 for it...

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that def is a starcraft, late 60's super sport.actually looked like it was in good shape, i would have paid triple that 150 for it...

I was waiting for someone to say that. I knew I let it go to cheap, but I was in a hurry to get the trailer and just have to many "projects"

I had to settle for the free trailer, helm parts, and the $25 cash this time

Now I am having regrets as it was in excellent shape structurally and would not have taken much to get it back to good shape.

But like I said, too many projects. You can't save them all
and the feathercraft is near and dear (and I think older and more unique)

The serial # on the boat was STR71920M751-R if that helps

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Don't know how you would put control cables on that West Bend. Maybe someone on the Ask A Member board at www.aomci.org would know. They probably have a diagram of pulley/cable steering for that kind of boat, too. A stick steering system might be cool, if you can get remote cables for the West Bend. Until then, put a homemade tiller extension on it so you or the first mate can sit in the stern seat and make her go. The tiller extension requires a chunk of wood, some pvc pipe and radiator clamps...not pretty, but would let you sit down to steer. Your first mate looks like he's ready to start getting his learners permit.

69starcraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't know how you would put control cables on that West Bend. Maybe someone on the Ask A Member board at www.aomci.org would know. They probably have a diagram of pulley/cable steering for that kind of boat, too. A stick steering system might be cool, if you can get remote cables for the West Bend. Until then, put a homemade tiller extension on it so you or the first mate can sit in the stern seat and make her go. The tiller extension requires a chunk of wood, some pvc pipe and radiator clamps...not pretty, but would let you sit down to steer. Your first mate looks like he's ready to start getting his learners permit.

I already have a request in at that site

I did find Two holes underneath (where cables would go) :) but still don't know HOW they attached or functioned.

I have the complete "cable system" steering that came with it but have opted to upgrade to a Teleflex Rotary instead. This is MY boat, so I am not going for a museum resto (although she WILL SHINE like one on the outside)

As far as a tiller extension I thought about it...really only need about 1 ft and I would be fine. I was thinking PVC, radiator clamps, and a short piece of radiator hose. You lost me with the "block of wood" :confused:

I finished up the Bimini Top today. After playing around with it off and on I decided NOT to cut the frame or do any shortening. With the strange taper of the boat (gets narrower towards the rear) there was no real use in cutting the frame or the roof canvas. Here in North Carolina MAXIMUM sun shade is desireable so more Bimini for shade outweighed less Bimini for looks.

Playing around with the frame I realized I could "bend" the bottom mounts in close enough to mount to the boat without putting to much pressure on any points...she's bending slightly, but not going to "pop" and we have raised it up and down a few times with ease.

So for $8 worth of Hardware (the mounts went with the Glaspar...too hard to remove) This is what I ended up with

000_0002-8.jpg

000_0001-4.jpg

000_0006-6.jpg

000_0005-9.jpg

There are still LOTS more upgrades to come

I would appreciate your thoughts/comments. Too big?

Rickairmedic

Commander

Dave I think the bimini looks great on her . I dont know how much fun casting will be but theres plenty of shade for sure :D.

Rick

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You use a wood rod same size as your tiller grip, cut to whatever length, join this to the tiller grip using a PVC collar that is cut through lengthwise so it will compress...the rad clamps go at either end of the PVC. Bobs your uncle.