Starcraft 1976-Mrnr 21 0/b restoration/Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starcraft 1976-Mrnr 21 0/b restoration/Rebuild

Well right now my boats are on the back burner(damn economy) Plus I decided to use some money on some motors I have had for a while. Then add in damn car problems.:mad:

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Well I decided to finally mess with this OLE' TOWER OF POWER 76 Mercury 1150
inline 6. No telling how long this motor has been sitting and what moron had his hands on it. :eek: I do have some good news and bad news with this motor. You want the good or bad first.:D Well here's both the good and bad click this link and read all about it.:D http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=394536

P9100127.jpg

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

jim
looks like you got a good hook up with classyglassy on the mtr.
it's nice when you get some who knows what their doing and speaks so we can understand, and takes the time to help

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

More Bad New I guess. Man what a mess Salt water can do to things.:eek: I can tell by this that the PO's of this motor didn't do fresh water flushing after boating with this motor. Well good thing I decided to investigate it further.
P5180054.jpg

P5180052.jpg

P5180055.jpg

P5180056.jpg

It was everything I could do to get this Cylinder Block Cover off. I was only able to get two bolts out of the sixteen. The other fourteen were welded to the cover. The cover was like it was welded to the block. It was all I could do to get it separated. Four ears even just crumbled off of it. The gasket is even welded to the block and cover, I swear this cover has never been off in 34 years.:mad: If you boat in SALT water Make sure you fresh Water Flush after every use. (Cheapboatkev, NorthBeach) and any of you other guy's

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Well here's some after pics. Still have about 6 bolts to drill and tap, they broke off. I was using PB Blaster letting it soak over night and using heat with map gas torch and they still broke. Well anyway I used some CLR on here let it soak then brushed the best I could then rinsed. It did OK but I will soda blast it later. Going to soda blast the carbs and different areas of the motor and cowlings for repaint so I will do this area as well. I'll post pics of that when done.:)

Zi6_0067.jpg

Zi6_0068.jpg

This is what the cover looks like I didn't spend much time on it got tired. A few ears even broke off when trying to remove the bolts. The soda blasting should take care of it.
Zi6_0069.jpg

Zi6_0070.jpg

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Here's some more before and after pics. It is looking better did some soda blasting. My compressor is just not big enough to keep up. I am going to borrow my brother's big *** IR I know it will keep up.

P5240025.jpg

P5240027.jpg

P5240026.jpg

P5240029.jpg

P5240028.jpg

P5250021.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Jim buddy..You have skills..I would never be able to tackle that sonofagun!

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Jim buddy..You have skills..I would never be able to tackle that sonofagun!

LOL Kev I'll be honest with you at first when I brought this boat home I kept telling my self that I was intimidated by outboard motors. But since I've jumped in head first I wish I would had started on this thing before the boat.
A Power boat has to have power to be fun. Anyway I got the big compressor here now and am able to do some serious soda blasting. My little compressor just couldn't keep up. Here are some more after pics of the results. Way better looking now. The motor is even almost ready for paint excluding the cowls(covers) and lower pan. Just waiting on some eBay parts to arrive so I can start putting it back together. Then see how she will run. Oh and next to start on the soda blasting on the boat and putting it back together.
P5270024-1.jpg

P5270025-1.jpg

P5270026-1.jpg

P5270027.jpg

P5270028.jpg

P5270022.jpg

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Wow Jim, great work! Impressive to say the least :cool:

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the comments guy's. Well I got to do a bit more soda blasting yesterday. I think I will just use some paint stripper on the rest of the cowls/ covers and that bottom pan. Those parts didn't seem to be primed first so the paint is chipping and it just uses too much soda and time .Still not finished but closer. Here are a few more pics of that.

P5280027.jpg

P5280029.jpg

P5280028.jpg

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Well new updates. I decided I should pull the Power Head from this motor to see if I could find out for sure(piece of mind) where that small end piece of the tap went when it broke. Well I had to concoct a engine hoist first so i came up with this. Decided I could use the engine stand for more than just and engine stand. :D
P5290056-2.jpg

Well it work perfect and the power head came off without a hitch. Set it on the work bench removed the gasket and there was the passage where the tap could go. If you look at pic you can see the small rectangle hole. Either came out there and ended up in the lower unit water passage somewhere. Or when I used the shop vac on the bolt hole it sucked it out without me knowing. Need to check the vac to see if it's in there. Here are the rest of the pics showing the holes and the power head removed.
P5290067.jpg

P5290057-1-1.jpg

P5290064.jpg

P5290061.jpg

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Continued more pics: This was something I needed for this motor it was missing the complete fuel pump assembly. Found one on ebay for $9.99 it is an obsolete part, got lucky there. It arrived today sometime wife found this on the front porch.:eek:
P5290068.jpg

P5290069.jpg

It is brand new still in packaging or what they call new old stock.:D

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

nice find jim, what are the odds of finding that part in that condition

sprintst

Commander

How did the fuel pump go...

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Ok guy's a lot has changed and been going on in my life since last post. I bought new house, moved had to redo house, and still not done.:eek: But anyway have pulled the 21' mnr out from the back and cleaned it up. been looking around to see what it would cost to have someone build a all aluminum transom.:faint2: The one guy I've talked with will do it but it was way more than I want to pay,$400.00 to build the frame out of aluminum tubing and skin one side and hand it off to me. either I need to buy a welding machine or find someone cheaper. I think I could do it for about 1/4 or so using wood. I really wanted to do it in aluminum,but.
Oh well so this coming thursday I go under the knife for a abdominal hernia (you can see it in Video,don't laugh) Also have 5 bulging disk in my back and need to probally have surgery to fix them,so now I won't be able to do anything with the boat for at least 6 weeks. I still have the other motor that came with the boat, but a few weeks ago I found a replacement on craigslist for a good deal, same motor 1979 Mercury 115 HP compression 135 to 140 all 6 cyl's Here is a small video of it running . I need to rebuild the carbs and possibly the fuel pump as it wont hold the prime from the tank, but runs and cranks great on the muffs. I'll post more when I get a chance going out of town for work this week.http://vid61.photobucket.com/albums...Of Power Inline 6/77 Mercury 115/Zi6_0281.mp4

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey Jim I see you found us over at the SC forum. If you want, PM a MOD and have them move your thread on over.

circlehook

Seaman Apprentice
Hello my name is bob i have a 1975 21foot starcraft too. The floor i replaced (2) under the floor 28 gallon fuel tanks from west marine then i used 3/4" marine ply wood for the floor screwed in to the aluminum stringers i guess thats what you call them and along with a center colsol and a 135 hp mercury. Runs great. Plus it sits on a double axle trailer over rated but dont have to worry about flat tires. Also the weight of the boat & engine i can trailer it cross country for penuts. Please post some of your pictures i will do the same. Its a great starter boat and well worth putting money into. Oh and with a kicker bracket on the transom and a 9.9 mercury i can go on restricted resivors and still go into the ocean too.

circlehook

Seaman Apprentice
Oh and i replaced the flotation with a blue color home insulation i dont know what its called but will only retain 1% of water and comes in all thickness 1", 2" and 3" then i cut them to length and whith to stack up under the floor and

circlehook

Seaman Apprentice
Oh and i replaced the flotation with a blue color home insulation i dont know what its called but will only retain 1% of water and comes in all thickness 1", 2" and 3" then i cut them to length and whith to stack up under the floor and
Also run a 3" pvc from the stearn up to the bow in 2 sections before and after the center consol so in the future you want to run new wires, shift cables, ect with ez without ripping the floor back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.