Starcraft 1976-Mrnr 21 0/b restoration/Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Hello All, New Owner and New member;
Well I came across this boat and got it. Don't know anything about these boats, but after looking at pics of new ones and the others in here that have been restored I am really liking mine. I do have some work to do. The previous owner didn't have the skills to fix it up as you can tell from pics. His floor repairs are something I can't live with. Also looks like some things missing not sure what kind of console and windshield or what ever it originally had but that stuff is missing. Guess I will convert to center console. If any one has any nice pictures or more info of this model I would be grateful. Really would like to know what it looked like in original state. It is model MRNR 21 0/B I think 1976, has a older probably about same era 115 Merc on back. I couldn't attach the pics so click the link. http://picasaweb.google.com/jbcrumbley
PS I may be getting rid of this motor(115 hp merc) if anyone is or may be interested in it let me know.

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starcraft 1976-77 Mrnr 21 0/b

hi bud.....welcome to i boats !

best boating site on the net !

your link didnt work. in the non boating tech forum there are three stickys at the top of the the forum about how to post pics......480x640 somthing or other is the biggest we can use on the forum....copy the img tag.

as with all re-creations, the best thing to do is to start reading here.....the compleated projects forum is great....

a beginner to advanced thread is called hull ext in progress.....it is a page or two pack at this time.

cheers
oops

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

OOPS! should work now sorry.:confused:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Great boat! Your choice..... you can make it a center console or a side console. MatthewP is rebuilding a center console http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299519&highlight=matthewp and this might help.

Those missing stringer pieces that extend to the bow should be replaced with aluminum.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Those stringers don't go all the way to the bow. I believe that's the way it was originally. If you look at my pics and the same view of MatthewP His stop in the same place. Thanks for the link to his, That can inspire me even more and give me ideas.

Mine> http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LpAeaGUAeF8/SlIBGVwp2mI/AAAAAAAAABk/9xV9Mtc0hOM/s720/P7010035.JPG

MatthewP> http://lh5.ggpht.com/_oYIDRGdccgo/SceZtU5oSUI/AAAAAAAAASw/BgMyQRC1xuQ/s720/P1010031.JPG

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Oh I know that. I was just advising you make your stringers to support the deck from aluminum and never worry about below deck rotting. I would not wnat those pieces of wood scabbed in below deck.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Ahhhhh Yea I see. Yes those were put there from the previous owner. Those badly scabbed in 2x4 pieces are already in the trash.:D I am posting a link here for future refference for anyone else that may be doing a resto on a boat. There is a company here close to me in Covington, GA The name is Nyloboard. I know this may be too late for some but anyway I have spoken with them and they tell me some boat mfg's are starting to use their product for flooring and transoms. It comes in pre made sizes but they also informed me that they mfg it right there and that I could have it mfg to just about any size and thickness I need. I am waiting on the samples to come. They also have a product that is pre wrapped in fiberglass. I will more than likely be using this for my transom and flooring. Here is the link http://www.nyloboard.com/HOME/tabid/36/Default.aspx

Rickairmedic

Commander

Jim welcome to iboats and the ever expanding Starcraft club :D. Looks like a great starter there and one you could go several differant ways with center console, side console, or even copy a Super sport with a console on both sides with a walk through :D.

Rick

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the welcomes. Well I guess my resto is at a halt for a bit. after removing the floor and cleaning I had a bit of a mishap. The inside of the hull being wet and well me being stupid as I am at times I had a slip and cut my right inside ankle real good on one of the main stringers, wearing my comfortable little crock shoes. Well I decided to be the Doctor myself and do my own treatment. Did I mention that at times I can be stupid or is it stubborn, OH well any way I finally took my wife's advise and went to the doctor, That's when I found out it wasn't just a simple cut but that a descent sized chunk of my ankle bone was gone and not to mention it was starting to get infected and really really hurting. Kinda helped convince me to listen to the wife. Did I mention at times I can be dumb or was it stubborn. Any way Hope to get back to the resto process soon as I am able to walk again. Also on another note I guess I have come up with a name for this vessel when it's done.
"Bad To The Bone" :eek: Any way I supplied a pic of the cut so look at your own risk. If you have a weak stomach or might be having a snack I suggest you don't. http://picasaweb.google.com/jbcrumbley/BadToTheBone#

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man, I am so sorry to hear about the injury. You know, laughter is good medicine so how about opening up a "name that boat contest" based on your mishap. It will at least give you something to laugh about while you heal up. If you don't know, it looks like your boat is a super sport. I just started redoing one and they are identical except that your's has been stripped. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Keith

North Beach

Commander

Welcome to iboats jim.

We give you three full days to heal up and start posting some more pictures:D

Mine's finished and I can't rely on kev to get anything done!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats jim.

We give you three full days to heal up and start posting some more pictures:D

Mine's finished and I can't rely on kev to get anything done!

HEY I resemble that remark!:eek:
You know me NB..Just a whistlin and a shufflin my feet

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guy's, Well Floyd M I am kinda thinking mine may be the Mariner on the model number it shows this MRNR 21 O/B. Thinking the MRNR may stand for Mariner. I might be wrong just a guess. This is what I am thinking I will make mine look like not in those colors though. http://www.lancastercountymarine.com/NewClearanceStarcraftMariner2100CC.html :D North Beach I will need more than 3 days I just went to the Doc yesterday and I waited 10 days before I finally listened to the wife and went.:eek:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Jimb..
All my nicks and cuts on my feet were superficial compared to that! Florida, flip flops, well go figure..

Thats one nasty cut bro..I broke my wrist a couple years ago and I finally admitted 7 hours later (at 3am) that I may need to go to the ER..

I think we can grant you a medical leave of absence..but we expect you to be posting comments and being active during this lay up..lol

Heal quick!

North Beach

Commander

Yeah dude-just kidden! Except for the stuff about Kev:D

And I'm pretty sure you got a Mariner there bud!

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes JimbC, it is a Mariner and I am stupid from smelling all of the rotten foam in my boat. :redface: I do hope everything heals up soon and I can't wait to see what you do with her.

Keith

Rickairmedic

Commander

Jim youll fit right in here I dont think theres many Starcraft owners here that think carpet belongs in a boat. I am painting if you get bored down there ( pretty light work and I have a rolling stool you can use ) :D:D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Jimbc, sucks about your injury, but look on the bright side, it gives you plenty of time to order all the stuff you need! iboats carries stuff like leaning posts and center consoles, so check them out here first, as thats how these forums stay alive is from the boat parts sales.

You have a pretty clean looking base to start with, much better than mine started out as!

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starcraft 1976-Mrnr 21 0/b restoration/Rebuild

Well Finally back at it, kinda:) Still hurting quit a bit in the ankle area the wide cut hasn't quite closed yet and the bone is still sore as hell. I guess going to work is making it take longer, keeps opening up the cut. Anyway had a little time and was having withdrawals, So I had to at least see if I could get the fuel tank and that last part of the floor out as well as remove those stupid 2x4's fin bow from PO. I didn't really want to remove anymore rivets than I had to so this was how I got that last piece of floor out. (the channel pieces for rod holders). See last few pics. http://picasaweb.google.com/jbcrumbley/197677Starcraft21OB#
Things will go slower than I wanted on this resto have run out of money since buying my 17 yr old son a car..... there went my chance at a nice re power. Just have to build the old mad money account back up someway. The old motor on this boat to me just probly isn't worth it to me to put any funds into it I would rather sell it and find a newer and bigger something in the 150 to 200 hp range, and cheap I hope. Have already had to pass a few nice deals up for lack of funds also gonna hold me up on the process of putting the deck and whatever else I need for a while. Anyway that's about it for now I need to get an engine hoist or tow the boat 25 miles one way down to my dads house to remove the motor so I can remove the transom wood. Dad has a nice MF tractor with a 3 pt. lift for removal or the engine hoist is about $170.00 Hmmmm I could use one of these things around the house for sure in future. Well Hope all are well and hope to be back at mine soon. You guy's boats are looking great making me wish i could get back after mine all out.:(

Attachments

• 144848_lg.gif
    144848_lg.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.