• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Patching Aluminum Holes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patching Aluminum Holes

I've got a hole about the size of a #2 pencil in my aluminum boat that allows it to take on water at a pretty decent rate. My "fix" was to jam a plastic grub in the hole backed with an old rivet, but that is only a temporary solution.

I'd like to find a DIY solution for patching holes in aluminum that will last a good amount of time and not cost me a ton of money. My first thought was to try some soda cans and JB weld... but I know nothing about that stuff. My second thought was to use Bondo, but I just don't know.

Re: Patching Aluminum Holes

there is some stuff called gluvit...

im not a tinny guy, but i would get some alum and weld it into place....i imagine rivits could be used.....but gluvit is a great product.

cheers
    oops
    The Hull Extension Thread
    great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
    November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

We used to scuff up the aluminum real rough and put a fiberglass patch on it. It would probably work even better with today's epoxies. We actually patched the oil pan from a crane engine with fiberglass!

Comment

A #2 pencil size hole like a new pencil about 6 or 7 inches long !!!

Get a bolt that fits that hole, coat it with some 3m5200 and tighten it up.

For other holes or leaks we suggest that you re-buck the rivets and use gluvit on the rivets and seams. It is a penetrating epoxy designed for that.

For serious large holes get a piece of aluminum (fairly thick) something like a piece of an aluminum street sign (hint hint) coat it with gluvit and rivit it in place or use 3m5200.

Use only stainless steel bolts and aluminum rivets when working with an aluminum boat. Do not use regular steel or any pressure treated wood since they will react with the aluminum.
        This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
        Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Working...
        X