Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 7-31-09 COMPLETED!!

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 6-29-09 *FIBERGLASS QUESTION POST 58*

Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 6-29-09 *FIBERGLASS QUESTION POST 58*

Andy, I used epoxy and 10 ounce cloth on my setup. Don't know anything about the polyester. I do know that basically all you need to do is double coat the back side and edges to make them watertight, install, and then do your reinforced application on the topside after it's screwed and riveted down. If you want you can do a second or third coat of just resin. I did the reinforced layer and then rolled a second layer on afterwards. Remember, thinner is better. Just hit the wood and don't bother trying to tie it into the metal sides of the boat. way too much movement there and stuff needs to flex. And I also understand the polyester stuff is a little rough on the ole body so make sure you read and follow safety recos.

For application purposes, you can go to my resto thread and see what we did. That will give you the basics. Also, please do yourself a big favor and hit all those seams and rivits with some gluvit. Buy the small can-it's more than enough and the stuff is pretty cool.

I hit it with gulvit yesterday... going to check today or tomorrow (depending on if its all set up) for leaks again by filling the hull. FYI, I followed your thread from the beginning, you did an awesome job... very inspiring.

Sorry to complicate it, but just coating plywood with polyester resin doesn't help much. Polyester resin is fairly brittle and when used without glass will crack and peel off far sooner than epoxy, epoxy can and may do the same thing, but will hold up much longer. Add a layer of glass to either one and the performance increases dramatically. Also polyester isn't a glue, so it's not all that good at bonding plywood together, epoxy is and excellent glue and does a very good job at sticking two sheets of ply together.

Well, heres the thing, I already have 2 gal of poly. Im on a pretty tight budget, so if theres a way i can use it and still do a decent job I would like to. for the underside, will the poly hold up as a SEALER on its own? I do plan on glassing the top, so I dont think strength will be an issue. If it really comes down to it, I will get some epoxy, but like i said i have the poly and am on a budget.

Andy in NY

Commander

Well, yesterday was an incredibly productive and good day. had a little help from my brother in law and his girlfriends father, both are into carpentry. they had the entire deck cut out in less than an hour, with Ernie making cardboard templates and Romeo cutting while Ernie was making the next.

IMG00243.jpg

IMG00242.jpg

IMG00244.jpg

and I worked on the transom

IMG00246.jpg

Also, I had decided to list the motor that came with it on craigslist to see what kind of interest i could drum up. i listed it as running but needing major work for $400, and this guy calls me says he wants it and will trade a RUNNING AND FULLY FUNCTIONAL 1974 rude 50hp. The guy is about 3 hours from me, but only 30 min from Bob_VT so he took a ride to check it out for me.
rude2.jpg

Bob said it was a heck of a deal, so im going sunday to make the deal. I figure I cant really go backwards on it...

I also fell into a few other deals yesterday too. While Ernie was helping me, he was asking about my paint plans. He said if I wasnt dead set on maroon and grey, he had 2 quarts of emerald green and 2 quarts of white topside marine paint from interlux he would give me!!! WOO HOO!

But wait, theres more!

He said he has a trailer too, galvenized thats been sitting behind his barn. He has to check with his son, and if he doesn't plan on doing anything with it he'll give it to me for like $200. I can easily turn mine around for that.

Yesterday was a great day, today im hoping to get started in resin but I have a guy coming to look at my mfg.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Oh what a warm feeling..... My first crackberry phone picture made it to iboats ;) Well I guess you got the pics! :)

Andy in NY

Commander

Oh what a warm feeling..... My first crackberry phone picture made it to iboats ;) Well I guess you got the pics! :)

All the pics I have posted are with my blackberry. I have a pearl, what do you have? they don't take bad pics...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Storm

Andy in NY

Commander

is that the touch screen one?

Andy in NY

Commander

Well, I just got the call, the MFG is......

SOLD.

So, now its crunch time to get this ol girl going before the end of the summer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You're much better off with that electric shift motor out of your life. I don't understand why a guy would want to trade that sweet 50 for it?

That 50 will move your boat decently. However, I personally feel a 3 cylinder 75 (with Tilt/Trim) would be the ideal motor for the Jupiter. So keep your eye out for one.

Andy in NY

Commander

You're much better off with that electric shift motor out of your life. I don't understand why a guy would want to trade that sweet 50 for it?

That 50 will move your boat decently. However, I personally feel a 3 cylinder 75 (with Tilt/Trim) would be the ideal motor for the Jupiter. So keep your eye out for one.

I dont understand either, neither does Bob_vt. but it is what it is... he wants to do the deal... I figure even if there is something wrong with it, i'm still NOT taking a step backwards. And everyone seems to agree about being better off without the electric shift.

Im going to be keeping an eye out for something bigger, the boat can take up to an 85.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

(Quote) Well, heres the thing, I already have 2 gal of poly. Im on a pretty tight budget, so if theres a way i can use it and still do a decent job I would like to. for the underside, will the poly hold up as a SEALER on its own? I do plan on glassing the top, so I dont think strength will be an issue. If it really comes down to it, I will get some epoxy, but like i said i have the poly and am on a budget.

You can still use the polyester, you just need to use it with a layer of glass for long lasting results. Just coating the underside will work for a while, but it will crack and peel, the time frame will depend on the wood and how much water is around it.

Andy in NY

Commander

(Quote) Well, heres the thing, I already have 2 gal of poly. Im on a pretty tight budget, so if theres a way i can use it and still do a decent job I would like to. for the underside, will the poly hold up as a SEALER on its own? I do plan on glassing the top, so I dont think strength will be an issue. If it really comes down to it, I will get some epoxy, but like i said i have the poly and am on a budget.

You can still use the polyester, you just need to use it with a layer of glass for long lasting results. Just coating the underside will work for a while, but it will crack and peel, the time frame will depend on the wood and how much water is around it.

Okay, i think i am just a little confused. Let's clarify.

I already intend to glass the TOP of the deck, but are you saying that I should glass the BOTTOM too?

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great progress so far Andy!

I'm really starting to love these so called "Starcraft" alum boats;):D

Congrats on your deal with the OB.

Long time ago my inlaw's aluminum 13' Gregor boat had the transom rebuilt, and eventhough we didn't do it ourselves, the guy glassed the whole piece.

I liked your MFG, too bad it had to go.

Keep up the good work mate:)

Andy in NY

Commander

Well, the MFG is officially sold, the guy came to get it today, so i officially have the capital to finish this project. going now to pick up more glassing supplies and hoping to have the deck and transom in by thursday and then get the deck paint done.

I plan to do the sand method, what type of paint should i use? i have 2 qt of white interlux topside marine paint, and can get 2 more. can i use that?

jonesg

Admiral

interlux topside is rather slick,
they have a deck paint that is very good though called interdeck.
A quart goes a long way if you brush it.
Deck paint is also non glare, less headaches from the sun.

Andy in NY

Commander

interlux topside is rather slick,
they have a deck paint that is very good though called interdeck.
A quart goes a long way if you brush it.
Deck paint is also non glare, less headaches from the sun.

I should easily be able to get away with a quart on the deck, even with 2-3 coats. Although Im not worried about something that is too slick because the paint will be laced with sand.

Well, no progress yesterday due to the sale of the mfg, but I did get out and get most of the supplies i needed... so today I will be getting the deck coated in resin and ready for install. My hopes are to have the deck and transom in 100% by friday.

Andy in NY

Commander

okay, what do you guys think of the color sceme? the actual color may be a bit different, but this is how i want the lines to be...

1245368990green.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Andy I'm not really a green person so the color doesnt do much for me but the layout looks good. I am planning to do my Jupiter up in red and white but I am changing things up and doing the white on top and the red on the bottom and sides.Theres actually a 16' Holiday in either the 74 or 77 brochure done up like that that I like .

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Andy I'm not really a green person so the color doesnt do much for me but the layout looks good. I am planning to do my Jupiter up in red and white but I am changing things up and doing the white on top and the red on the bottom and sides.Theres actually a 16' Holiday in either the 74 or 77 brochure done up like that that I like .

Rick

I was going to do maroon, might still. but i had a guy give me 2 quarts of interlux topside paint for free. green. dont know the exact shade yet though.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Well Andy if worse came to worse you could mix the green with white and end up with a mint like Northbeach did :D. I have been looking at the Interlux paints but :eek: they are expensive $85 a quart for the red and $65 a quart for the white and thats for the topside paint.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Okay, just got an email from the guy that wanted to trade motors. apparently he wasn't clear in his original email when he said trade... so now he wants to trade plus $175.

So what I was thinking was i'd be okay with that, but maybe haggle him down to $125 seeing as how its a 3 hour drive for me and that $50 would cover my gas.

Do you guys think its still a good deal?