Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 7-31-09 COMPLETED!!

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 6-24-09

Dremel with cutting wheel on it.

My swim ladder appears to me to be a home-brew contraption made from a section of aluminum step ladder cut and hinged. It actually works awesome! Much better than a lot of the little swim steps you see on newer boats. It's not overly attractive though. If I didn't have that, I'd probably go with something like this http://www.iboats.com/Afi_High_Dens...74832921--**********.004323785--view_id.37919

I was just looking at that a few min ago. not bad, i ma end up with just a basic ladder. how is it getting in and out with the design of the splashwell... is it slippery at all?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It would be but I liquid bedliner'd mine.

Andy in NY

Commander

It would be but I liquid bedliner'd mine.

Can you take a pic of it and show me what it looks like??

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

4" what? roller?

the areas you didnt get to, can you see them easily while on the trailer?

yep a roller..it was 4 buxs and lived long enough to do the job..

no, you cant see the unpainted spots..unless you get under there.:p

Andy in NY

Commander

UPDATE: I didn't get much done yesterday, ended up going out on the lake when my wife got home. I managed to get most of the bolts that go through the transom into the knee brace out, but there are 4 or 5 on each side that on one side none of them wanted to budge... any suggestions on getting them out?

IMG00224.jpg

So I need some opinions from you guys. I was looking over craigslist yesterday and noticed quite a few ads for people LOOKING for smaller boats (12-14'), so i thought lets put an ad for my MFG and see what kind of response i get. I listed it at $850 (have $900 into it) and got 7 calls last night with 2 coming this afternoon to look at it.

I think I can have this back on the water in a few weeks, but heres the catch. i still dont know if the motor runs, and the money from selling the mfg would go right into materials. if the motor didnt run i would have to sit out the rest of the season.

opinions?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

To be honest, I haven't understood how you've resisted at least tinkering with the Johnson for all this time......

First thing we did with mine when we got it home was hook a battery and some gas up to it and see if we could get it started. It did start and run (though obviously not on all cylinders) so we took the whole boat to our mechanic and had him get it all fixed up. We then picked it up from there and took it out on the river to test it out (sitting on lawn chairs). We were happy with the performance (thrilled actually, I punched it and knocked my dad off his lawn chair) so we took it back home and I got started on the interior.

I had assumed that you were figuring if you couldn't get the Johnson running you'd swap over the Mercury from the MFG.

Andy in NY

Commander

To be honest, I haven't understood how you've resisted at least tinkering with the Johnson for all this time......

First thing we did with mine when we got it home was hook a battery and some gas up to it and see if we could get it started. It did start and run (though obviously not on all cylinders) so we took the whole boat to our mechanic and had him get it all fixed up. We then picked it up from there and took it out on the river to test it out (sitting on lawn chairs). We were happy with the performance (thrilled actually, I punched it and knocked my dad off his lawn chair) so we took it back home and I got started on the interior.

I had assumed that you were figuring if you couldn't get the Johnson running you'd swap over the Mercury from the MFG.

I dont have a key for the johnson, have to order one. Thats the only reason i havent done anything with it yet.

and ya i had thought about putting the merc on it if the johnson was a bust...

so here are my thoughts... IF the johnson doesnt run or needs major work, then we can take the cash from the mfg and buy a motor. then keep on the pace im on now, doing a little here and a little there when finances allow. get the deck and transom done and get back on the water before summers end and finish up everything else as we go along.

or

put all the cash into the boat and have it 100% by fall, buy another outboard when we get out income tax return.

or

the johnson works fine and we are back on the water in a few weeks.

Andy in NY

Commander

well, I just got back from the dump getting rid of the old deck, foam and carpet. 280lbs worth! and that doesnt include the transom or some of the deck that i saved for the bow! all that extra weight, thats like a whole person! I fugure that the new deck will weigh 100lbs.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It can't be too hard to pop that ignition switch out and jumper it. Lets get that Johnny running!

Andy in NY

Commander

It can't be too hard to pop that ignition switch out and jumper it. Lets get that Johnny running!

do you know how to do it? i can give it a whirl this afternoon... if you know how would you be able to call me and walk me through it, seeing as how iboats has turned into islowboats.com today...

Andy in NY

Commander

Well, no work on it yesterday. Still trying to find somewhere to order a key from to test out the motor...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You have the control off the boat.... bring it to a locksmith or a Johnson Evinrude (BRP) dealer and match up a replacement. There might be a number on the switch.

The brp parts breakdown on the web has a note about seeing a service bulletin for ordering a key. I would try to do it the right way before I start popping things apart.

Andy in NY

Commander

You have the control off the boat.... bring it to a locksmith or a Johnson Evinrude (BRP) dealer and match up a replacement. There might be a number on the switch.

The brp parts breakdown on the web has a note about seeing a service bulletin for ordering a key. I would try to do it the right way before I start popping things apart.

well the closest listed johnnyrude dealer according to the website is colchester... almost 2 hours from me. im checking a few places in plattsburgh to see if they can get me a key. im heading out that way this afternoon to get some gluvit, so hopefully i can get them both taken care of.

today i also have to get the boat off the trailer so i can take it and have it weighed... any idea what the bare hull weighs?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I will send you a PM

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

do you know how to do it? i can give it a whirl this afternoon... if you know how would you be able to call me and walk me through it, seeing as how iboats has turned into islowboats.com today...
Take the cover off, hook up the battery and jump it from the solenoid to the starter.

Andy in NY

Commander

Well, I got a key yesterday and got her fired up this morning, and she runs!! so thats a good start, but not out of the woods. need to get the lower unit figured out first... its a hydro electric and its stuck in forward. I spent some time chatting with Bob_vt and we came up with some troubleshooting ideas. But, thats one step closer.

Im bringing the boat to my in laws tomorrow because they are out of town and they have a garage, and its forecasted to rain all week. so tomorrow we will get the gluvit applied and start on the transom and deck.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good to hear. I think they default to forward. Hopefully you can get it sorted out. I don't envy you on that though. I dodged the electric shift bullet by 1 year!

Andy in NY

Commander

Good to hear. I think they default to forward. Hopefully you can get it sorted out. I don't envy you on that though. I dodged the electric shift bullet by 1 year!

Ideally I would like to get the motor in working condition and then sell it... maybe buy another merc for it, something a little bigger than the 55 thats on it now.

anyways, yesterday i got the transom out, which didnt go willingly! it was still fairly solid, so i took some wire and fed it through a hole, and used a huge pry bar and lifted from the center. the hard part is that there is nothing to grip to just pull it out. but its out, and in 1 piece.
IMG00236.jpg

I also finished getting all the hardware off...

And I got the gluvit applied.

Today I am going to pick up the decking plywood, transom plywood and foam and am hoping to have all of it glassed and in by the end of the week while i have my inlaws garage (they are out of town).

I have a few questions. I'm using poly resin, so I was told I have to glass the deck for strength. Should I glass each piece then put them in, or coat underside and sides in resin, screw them in place then glass over the top of the whole thing?

Should I use csm or woven mat?

I don't need to glass the transom at all, do I? I was just going to resin coat the 2 pieces together, screw it and let it setup overnight, then remove screws and coat the whole thing.

North Beach

Commander
Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 6-29-09 *FIBERGLASS QUESTION POST 58*

Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 6-29-09 *FIBERGLASS QUESTION POST 58*

Andy, I used epoxy and 10 ounce cloth on my setup. Don't know anything about the polyester. I do know that basically all you need to do is double coat the back side and edges to make them watertight, install, and then do your reinforced application on the topside after it's screwed and riveted down. If you want you can do a second or third coat of just resin. I did the reinforced layer and then rolled a second layer on afterwards. Remember, thinner is better. Just hit the wood and don't bother trying to tie it into the metal sides of the boat. way too much movement there and stuff needs to flex. And I also understand the polyester stuff is a little rough on the ole body so make sure you read and follow safety recos.

For application purposes, you can go to my resto thread and see what we did. That will give you the basics. Also, please do yourself a big favor and hit all those seams and rivits with some gluvit. Buy the small can-it's more than enough and the stuff is pretty cool.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Sorry to complicate it, but just coating plywood with polyester resin doesn't help much. Polyester resin is fairly brittle and when used without glass will crack and peel off far sooner than epoxy, epoxy can and may do the same thing, but will hold up much longer. Add a layer of glass to either one and the performance increases dramatically. Also polyester isn't a glue, so it's not all that good at bonding plywood together, epoxy is and excellent glue and does a very good job at sticking two sheets of ply together.