Fiberglass encapsulated stringers.

Hermyboy3000

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Let me know if this is a myth - some goon at the marina last year was telling me that if my "stringers are encapsulated, the wood within it could completely rot and the boat will still be just fine". He said the wood is pretty much a redundancy when boat builders make them that way. So what do you think? Hogwash or true?

I'm working on my deck now and that comment is haunting me. My boat is forty years old it's got encapsulated stringers. Should I worry or is it smooth sailing?

Thanks!

Sisqo

Cadet
Re: Fiberglass encapsulated stringers.

I can tell you from experience that this is not true. I have a 1965 15' Aquarian bowrider that I am in the midst of rebuilding. It has encapsulated stringers in it and they were rotten the floor of my boat was extreamly spoungey and I had to replace them all as they were no longer supporting the floor.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It is possible to have a boat where the laminate without the wood was engineered to take the entire load, but unless you know exactly how your boat was built, there's no way to know if yours is. Its hard to say how many boats are being used year after year with totally rotten stringers and the owner has no idea.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It is possible to have a boat where the laminate without the wood was engineered to take the entire load, but unless you know exactly how your boat was built, there's no way to know if yours is. Its hard to say how many boats are being used year after year with totally rotten stringers and the owner has no idea.

I second that, I bet the numbers are astounding:eek: I was one of them.

Like it has been said, it is possible that the boat would be fine with rotten stringers but good glass but you never know for sure. it isnt worth the risks involved. Do some core samples of the stringers and find out how bas they are. It really isnt that much more work to do them while you have the floor up.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

From the posts from new members, it appears that a lot of people are unaware of a rotten stringer/deck system until their foot goes through the floor into a bilge full of black water. Another problem is transoms rotting to the point of the glass cracking or ripping from the weight of the motor.

So my guess is there are many older boats that are marginal out on the water all summer long.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would even say, all "SUMMERS" long;)

Hermyboy3000

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My floor is still really solid. I've yet to find any "springy" areas of the floor. Is there are hard and fast method to check without coring?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You mean without a "core sample" ?

Do a percussion test on it.. Basically tap it with a hammer or a large thick screwdriver and listen for that dull thud ( you will/should know ).

This is how you can tell delam..or wasted wood. If you find what you think is a bad spot, drill with 1/8" bit and look at the wood that comes out.

YD.

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll tell you from personal experience, one sure sign of rotten stringers are loose seats..

My deck was so bad in some places only the top coat of fiberglass was remaining. The wood turned to compost in my bilge.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Also consider the added weight of the wood (and flotation foam, but I know this is more of a wood discussion) when it's wet.

The engineering of the boat would determine if the wood is truly needed for structural integrity.

But think about it...if you have stress cracks in your gelcoat around bulkheads, the stringers, that would help say if they're needed for structural integrity.

Personally, I like the idea of having nice, new wood in my stringers when I'm battling 4-5 footers in the Straits :cool:

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

My boat was built with foam stringers...I hope my foam doesnt rot! Just Kidding. The stringers are there to support the boat, if the glass is thick enough everywhere (not the case on my last boat) it would be fine if it all rotted out but my guess is the thickness isn't consistant enough for the glass to be load bearing. With THAT said, my last boat had rotted stringers but youd never have known, no gell cracks, no flex etc etc. To be safe, I replaced them and glassed on!

F14CRAZY

Ensign

One thing worth mentioning thought are tri-hulls...they tended to have really thick hulls and the V's serve as stringers, I guess