Steering Cable Clamp Issue-- Need some advice

jarway

Seaman
Had my steering cable freeze up and was trying to loosen it and torqued the steering wheel too much and something popped under the center console. Turned out to be a clamp/braket that connects the cable to the rack (rack and pinion steering). I think the steering system is original (86 Sea Nymph) and I am probably lucky to get this much time out of it since the clamp is white metal and is at a major stress point. It is rectangular on the one end to clamp down on the body of the rack and pinches down on the other end to pinch teh cable. Bolted together with 4 bolts. I freed up the steering rod on the motor (1982 150 hp Johnson) and would like to replace the connector but can't seem to find one. All boat shops want to sell me a new kit which is probably a good idea but I would like to try to either replace the clamp or fabricate something that would hold the cable in place.

Any thoughts/help out there would be appreciated. Otherwise I will probably upgrade to No Feedback Rack system which would make it nice not to have to fight the engine torque.

Thanks in advance,

FishTales

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Steering Cable Clamp Issue-- Need some advice

PLEASE just replace the whole thing. If you fabricate and it fails you and others may be harmed or worse.

jarway

Seaman
Re: Steering Cable Clamp Issue-- Need some advice

Thanks for the sound advice Bob. Shopping for a NFB rack system as we speak.