'74 MFG Gypsy 14 hull repair project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy in NY

Commander
There is a fairly long crack towards the bow, Right on the keel. I have an idea on how to fix this... have been reading all kinds of threads on the subject. But I am totally clueless when it comes to fiberglass. I want to make sure I have this right before attempting.

At first I was going to use marine tex, but think I would be better off going with a true fiberglass repair.

First, some pics of the damaged area.

crack1.jpg

crack2.jpg

I believe that the damage was caused by the rollers, which were a hard nylon type material. I have since replaced them with rubber rollers.

crack4.jpg

So my searching here yeilded me this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=245703

The boat is identical to mine, and the damage was almost in the same location. But on mine, its right on the keel, unlike his where it was off to the side. So, on to my questions.

Grinding:
Should I grind out all the damaged area?

If so, How do I get the contour of the keel back?

What should I use to do the grinding?

Fiberglass:

Should I pack the INSIDE of the hull with glass/epoxy like he did?

Should the layers get smaller, or bigger? He seemed to imply that he started bigger and then got smaller with every layer, but someone else said to start with a 2" overlap. then 4", Then 6", then 8"?

types of glass, should it alternate layers between chopped strand and woven?

How much material should I plan for this repair?

Im going to be working on this memorial day weekend, so I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start.

Thanks guys!

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: '74 MFG Gypsy 14 hull repair project

Yep, you have to grind the area out until there's no more crack. If that crack goes all the way through, you'll need to fix it from both sides (in and out). If not, it'll have a tendency to move/wiggle, and as the previous repair guy found out, it comes right back.

Before you get too far ahead you may want to grind it out and see how far that split goes. If it's not through the hull, you have less work to do.

Reshaping the keel isn't tough. With this kind of repair you'll be doing a fair amount of sanding, so build your repair higher than the surface of the hull, then use the grinder to shape it until it's a form match to the rest.

You can pick up a cheap 4.5" grinder from just about any auto parts/hardware store. $25-$35 each. Fit it with a flapping wheel or a 36 grit flexible sanding disc and it'll eat hull in a flash.

Andy in NY

Commander

What if I can't get to it from both sides? that would entail ripping out the deck, which I plan to do at some point but cant afford to right now...

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you cant reach the backside, you have no choice but to do it from the outside. You grind through the crack until you get into good glass and no crack. You dish out (taper) the hole you ground and start with smaller pieces of glass and go progressively bigger until you have built it back out to the original thickness. Alternate between mat and cloth. Once it is built out, use a below waterline epoxy fairing compound to smooth things out. You'll need to seal the repaired area because fiberglass is not waterproof. Once it is sealed you can then prime and paint and I'd probably add a keel guard and checkout the trailer to prevent future damage.

Andy in NY

Commander

If you cant reach the backside, you have no choice but to do it from the outside. You grind through the crack until you get into good glass and no crack. You dish out (taper) the hole you ground and start with smaller pieces of glass and go progressively bigger until you have built it back out to the original thickness. Alternate between mat and cloth. Once it is built out, use a below waterline epoxy fairing compound to smooth things out. You'll need to seal the repaired area because fiberglass is not waterproof. Once it is sealed you can then prime and paint and I'd probably add a keel guard and checkout the trailer to prevent future damage.

I have already corrected the problem on the trailer, so hopefully there wont be future damage.

1) what do I use to "seal" it?

2) I keep getting conflicting info, smaller to bigger or bigger to smaller??? PLEASE ADVISE

3) what weight mat and cloth should i be using?

newbie_owner

Seaman

No, I had the same problem as you. I didn?t want to redo the deck so I could only work from the outside. I painted the inside of the hole with resin then wet out 3 layers of cloth-matt-cloth and pushed it up through and let it fall into place on the inside of the hull. Then I used packing tape and taped up the hole so that the fiberglass would not fall out of the hole. Once that was dried, I had a backing to work with.

Andy in NY

Commander

No, I had the same problem as you. I didn?t want to redo the deck so I could only work from the outside. I painted the inside of the hole with resin then wet out 3 layers of cloth-matt-cloth and pushed it up through and let it fall into place on the inside of the hull. Then I used packing tape and taped up the hole so that the fiberglass would not fall out of the hole. Once that was dried, I had a backing to work with.

Okay, that makes alot more sense!

How long did you let the inside layers cure before starting on the outside?

BTW, thanks for all your help here and via email. If I had more time I would totally get up there to check out your project. Unfortunatly this summer is going to be busy! But I think I can convince the wife to make a road trip there to go boating for the day...

newbie_owner

Seaman

No problem, I am glad to help. I didn't know the first thing about fiberglass and all the great people on this site helped me so..pay it forward I guess.

I think I let it cure for a couple of hours, not sure. I just checked to make sure it was hard.

Andy in NY

Commander

No problem, I am glad to help. I didn't know the first thing about fiberglass and all the great people on this site helped me so..pay it forward I guess.

I think I let it cure for a couple of hours, not sure. I just checked to make sure it was hard.

That link you posted especially helped. Me and my buddie are ready to tackle this beast head on, now I just have to wait till the 30th to get started on it!!

newbie_owner

Seaman

I finished the deck, dash support, carpet, added speakers and an MP3/sirius setup, and added a volt guage.

I just have to add some more carpet to finish it up, like around the seats and all the way up the sides.

Attachments

• 100_4067.jpg
    100_4067.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 0

Andy in NY

Commander

Hey Aaron... glad to hear from you. Looks good!

Unfortunatly i ended up selling mine for another project... a 16' starcraft... check out my progress... theres a link in my signature.

Cobra5086

Recruit
Can anyone help me with an expert opinion on a damaged area of keel on a 20? boat I?m considering purchasing . The actual fiberglass mat appears to have a gash or crack. I cannot upload pic file as it is too large of a file

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Cobra this is a veeerrry old thread .
Start a new thread of your own and you should get the answers you are looking for .
They don?t want members bringing up old threads like this one .
Only the op are allowed to do that .
Welcome aboard !

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Can anyone help me with an expert opinion on a damaged area of keel on a 20’ boat I’m considering purchasing . The actual fiberglass mat appears to have a gash or crack. I cannot upload pic file as it is too large of a file

Please start a thread of your own, This one is over 8 years old and very dead. Look at the Forum Help link in my sig and look at the photo posting tutorial and the rules about old threads. Thanks.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.