17' Crestliner Transom and Floor Progress

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 17' Crestliner Transom and Floor Progress

Good pictures. Glad to see the epoxy bottles in there too...... a labor of love. Keep us updated.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nice work. I like the fiberglass stringers that Crestliner used. Why are the gauges off to the left of the steering wheel. Isn't there space to mount them right at the wheel?

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

That's a good point Mark I never thought of that. The original gauges were there, so when I replaced them I put them in the same spot. There is plenty of space right behind the wheel too. Oh well, holes are there now.

I'm hoping to knock out the rest of the project in the next week or two, I've got some time off.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Got a lot more work done this past weekend, new pictures start on page 4 of the photo album. I've just got to recover the wooden ski racks with new vinyl, some paint, and put the motor back on and connect the steering and wiring.

What do people do to cover up the bilge area under the splashwell? Picture attached is the area I'm talking about. Originally the boat had a little door hinged to the top of the splashwell ,just seeing if anyone has done anything else.

Attachments

• undersplashwell.jpg
    undersplashwell.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 0

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Here are some before and after pictures:
Transom Before
transom%20before.jpg

Transom After, painted with rustoleum topside gloss white, notice the reflection of the motor stand in the transom
transom%20after.jpg

Vinyl side panel before
panel%20before.jpg

Vinyl Panel after recovering with new vinyl
panel%20after.jpg

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Boat project is getting there. Still have some interior work to finish up, as well as compound/waxing the blue deck. Took the boat out for the first time on July 2nd since the restoration project started. Took it out again on the 4th. Couldn't have done it without all the help from everone on this site!!!

meandboatsmall.jpg

starboard2.jpg

port2.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Holy cow! Nice work. Great pictures.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow, boat looks great!

SKUBYWES

Recruit

love what you have done to the boat... im new to boating and i have the same boat... i am also currently restoring and upgradeing it. now ive got soething to look forward to.:D

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Ah you've got the same boat? Sweet! I haven't found any just like it yet, and very few that are similar (built by crestliner anyway). Post some pics of your boat. If you've got any restoration questions feel free to ask.

barberben

Recruit

im all so new to the boating thing i bought a 1963 crest liner last year and i need to do all the same stuff u did to ur boat floor and every thing but i dont know where to start help please lol thank you

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Well I started with the floor and took out all the old flooring and foam, the foam was totally soaked with water and very heavy..well thats what dad said anyway he did the foam removal step, not much room for 2 people working when you've got no floor!

Browse through my photoalbum link at the top of this post, I've got everything posted in the order I did it. Start a thread of your own you'll be supprised by the amount of knowledgeable people you get to answer questions for you!

Also, I suggest the book Runabout Renovation: How to Find and Fix Up an Old Fiberglass Speedboat , I bought it on amazon, they might have it at your local library. Its an amazing source of information and it goes in a logical stepwise process. I highly recommend it, its an easy read and pretty short. It tells you more than I ever could on here!

Good luck!