Ooo! Sparkly! Redfury's Grinding again!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That link works now! That boat is looking sweet!!! I like the red windscreen.

redfury

Commander
Looks like I'll be attempting to hang the motor on the back of the boat tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. A friend is coming over with a skid steer to help get it off my deck...the thing is a beast.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If Darth Vader had a boat, I think it would look like that! :rockon: I love it!

redfury

Commander
Started rigging it up , got the electrical hooked up...realize the cables are too short for the throttle and shift, so I'll have to buy some proper length cables. Fortunately they are fairly cheap. And I have to figure out what to do with the steering link...the threads are chewed up to the point that I can't tighten the nut down ( it fell off! ) Found a replacement on Ebay for $35 shipped, but I'd like to think I could find one cheaper than that or figure out a way to fix this one.

Working on rebuilding the dash. Since the old plastic panel was all cracked up, I sprayed foam on the backside to reinforce it, used some bondo and rebuilt it the best I could, now I'm waxing it and got some PVA to spray on it to release it from the fiberglass I'm going to lay over it to build a new dash out of. Hopefully it'll work out and I won't have to monkey with a new dash design. I found a replacement plastic dash on Ebay Europe, but they wanted 150 bucks for it, plus shipping to the US. No thanks.

redfury

Commander
Managed to run a die down the threads on the old steering link and used a new nut on it. Seems to be working, but I'll have to see how it holds up after a couple of uses. Last thing we need is a broken steering link on the water.

redfury

Commander
So, I've been thinking of what to name the boat. History: I bought the boat sitting in a ditch, it's taken me 9 years to get the boat this far, I suspect the boat will be finished by the 10th year of owning it. It's Black, it's a tri hull.

Here's what I've come up with so far, feel free to make suggestions or comments:

MegaTron
Forever
Ditch It
Toothless ( being a tri hull, black and a reference to How to train your dragon )

redfury

Commander
I like Ditch'n Work. I'll run that by the Admiral and see what she thinks.

redfury

Commander
still need to upload the video, but I got the Motor running! The battery wasn't fully charged apparently when I first tried, but I got a cough out of it. So, I charged the battery, reprimed the bulb to make sure it had fuel (Held pressure well ), choked the carbs and it fired right up after sitting on the deck for 3 years. Purrs like a 125hp kitten. Getting ready to order the right length control cables since the Bayliner bass boat it came off had the helm closer to the back. I gotta get 14' universal cables...looks like I can get them for under $60 shipped from Iboats. Once they are installed and the steering is put into place ( gotta get a new keyway...somehow lost it over the last few years ), I'm bringing the boat to the lake for a shake down run!

redfury

Commander
No Title

She's water legal now! Just have to install the control cables and a seat and I can see if it floats or flips!

Attachments

• photo228608.jpg
    photo228608.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo228609.jpg
    photo228609.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0

KingRhino

Cadet
Hope you don't mind if I tag along on this rebuild. I just bought a 1976 Glastron sportster and working my way through a couple of other threads trying to learn as much as I can before I begin my restoration project.

jcsercsa

Captain
Cool red she looks great!!!!! And KingRhino i did a 1977 sportster on here (pic of work so far)love the boat so easy to launch by my self.

KingRhino

Cadet
jcsercsa I looked through your pics, you did a fantastic job and I hope I can match your skill when I start my build.