Floor removal with fiber glass over it.

p_val319

Recruit
I have a 16 foot open bow I have some soft spots in the rear of it I have the seats and carpet out it already. Im just wondering what my next step should be to get the floor out. There is a layer of fiberglass over the entire floor im just looking for some advice thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Floor removal with fiber glass over it.

Welcome to iboats.

This may not sound like a proper answer however you are absolutely in the right place :D

Read through these threads in the restoration forum, learn to use the search engine here.

Soft spots on the deck may be the tip of the iceberg. You may have to either split the cap and that fiberglass may go with it or you will have to carefully cut around the edges.

Post a few pictures and let us know.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Like Bob said, there is quite a bit of experience here.

I was able to borrow my neighbors battery operated trim saw. I set the blade to minimum depth to just cut the glass. As I gained confidence, I was able to cut into the deck for removel - oops, probably didn't need to tell you the part about deck removal before you even get started:D.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always select a spot away from a stringer. Judge that by looking at the sides of your bilge. Go a couple inches past where the stringer should be, at the edge of the bilge. Use a hole saw or something similar to cut out a small area...I like to do this to see the thickness of the material I'll be cutting. Then using a circular saw set for the floor thickness, cut the floor out in small sections.
I like to cut area's about 2 feet square. You want something easy to handle, plus it gives you a look underneath of what you'll be cutting next. You want to know where all under-deck plumbing, wires, etc are, to avoid doing even more repairs. WEAR proper safety equipment, and not a paper mask. Spend to 40 bucks for a quality respirator wit the catridges. Be ready for a big mess, and you might as well be prepared for the worst. (Wet foam, rotted stringers, transom, etc.) Keep in mind, this is like finding a soft spot in your kitchen or bathroom floor. Want appears to be a cheap, $100 fix turns out to be the tip of the iceberg. If it's just the sole that's soft, and you happen to get lucky....count your blessings!

yroc5975

Recruit
I have a '87 Astroglass and I have a soft spot near the steering wheel. It doesnt feel large when I push on it with my feet and I wanna replace it. Everything is out of the boat (seats, carpet, etc ) and I wanna know what my next step is to get the floor out.

yroc5975

Recruit
I have a '87 Astroglass and I have a soft spot near the steering wheel. It doesnt feel large when I push on it with my feet and I wanna replace it. Everything is out of the boat (seats, carpet, etc ) and I wanna know what my next step is to get the floor out.

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Pval welcome to the dry dock! We thrive on pictures and they often tell more than words. Woodonglass has a nice tutorial on stringers, decks and transoms; see link below. In it he tells you how to cut out a deck. You can scale it down if you only want to cut out a section. Most people leave a few inches on the perimeter so you have a reference point for setting the height of your stringers/bulkheads (you might need that) so if you want to start small just avoid that area. Once you have some access below deck you'll be able to determine the condition of the structural members and foam if it has it. Yroc you should start your on thread. It won't be long before you have different questions and will need your own stage

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
guys, this is a 5 year old thread. please start a new thread