1984 Bayliner Capri Rebuild

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1984 Bayliner Capri Rebuild

I just caught your other post, and just finished reading this one. I have found a good source for parts on the old Volvos is dougrusselmarine. They are a bit on the high side, dollarwise, but tend to have the parts in stock. I have used Boatfix also, but selection is limited. I'm sure there are others, though.

Checking NADA, you would have the 1950, as the only other I/O Bowrider that year was the 1650.

Good luck. My transom is good, but floor is going. It runs great, though. Good starter boat. I am now into a cuddy. My Capri will be hitting the market soon. Sad for my first boat, but fun to learn on.

Ted

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, here are the long awaited pics...

I am just about ready for carpet... A bit more fiberglassing, and another kit of foam from us composites and Ill be there...

The two big holes under the read seat bases are for 10' subs, and I still have to cut a few more holes for some 5 1/4's... more to follow...

Hope all is well...

BTW, does anyone have a parts book for my '84 1950 Capri? There are some parts I would like to look up. Thanks,

day32progress-1.jpg

As you can tell, my son really likes it so far.... :)

day32progress-2.jpg

88BLiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man you are really moving along, I have been working on mine now foor 3 months and have not gotten that far. Looks great, keep at it!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Wow! Thats progress!

Just curious, are you coating all the ply with glass & resin, or just resin? I ask because some places look like dry plywood.

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

The floor the gas tank I was going to coat in glass and resin, and everything else is getting a coat of resin. That is the plan as of right now... 32 days of the rebuild down, lets see how many more....

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

Man you are really moving along, I have been working on mine now foor 3 months and have not gotten that far. Looks great, keep at it!

Thanks 88, when I start a project, I like to finish right away because there is always another project around the corner....

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, looks like I still may make the 4th...

Below are pics...

Spare battery and blower I have yet to hook up...

almostdone1.jpg

Rear with engine cover which I still have to cover with vinyl....

almostdone2.jpg

Whats a rebuild without subs, amp and a power cap?...

almostdone3.jpg

A view without the engine cover... still have some motor work to do....
Those seat bases are still waiting on another shipment of foam from us composites...

almostdone4.jpg

Front view... dont mind the wires hanging, I havent got them strap up yet. I used about 170 feet of speaker wire as I plan to have 8 5 1/4's along with the 2 10' subs...

almostdone5.jpg

And lastly, a view from sitting in the bow seat...

almostdone6.jpg

I still have to hone my skills at the sewing machine and will start the vinyl probably later this week, or early next week...

Enjoy

j_m74

Recruit

JoeyInKC,

I've got a 1985 Bayliner Capri 1950 Bowrider with the Volvo Penta 125 HP I/O engine.. I'm beginning a similar project, but I'm not as brave as you seem to be (ripping through your uninstall/reinstall, etc.).. Basically, my flooring is okay, but I want to replace carpeting and vinyl seating. I was wondering if you had any resources for marine carpeting and vinyl (inexpensive). I've checked the usual places (West Marine, iBoats Mall, Overton's, etc.) and found that Overton's is the cheapest for carpet at $6.99 per rolled foot (16 oz.) and then $13.99 for vinyl per rolled yard. However, I'm not exactly sure if I want to just order the back-to-back seats by Overton's or Wise or just do it myself.. Do you have any updated progress or photos? Any help is appreciated! Thanks and keep up the good work!

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

j m74,

I ordered my carpet from HomeDepot.com. It came in a 8' wide by I think 25' long roll for around $250. As for vinyl, I found the cheapest place was believe it or not JoAnn Fabrics. They have marine vinyl for $12.99 a yard. But here is the kicker, if you sign up for their newsletter, they email you 50% off coupons about every couple weeks, and 40% coupons also. So you can get the vinyl for about $6.50 a yard. The vinyl appears to be tough as I have pulled extremely hard on some places to smooth it out. I got about 15 yards so far, and I might need a few more yards. Hope this helps, and good luck on your project. Be sure to post some pictures so everyone can follow along.

I have just the lounge seats left to go... woohoo!!!... I plan to take it out for her maiden voyage this weekend. Will keep everyone posted.

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best of luck on your maiden voyage:)

You've done a great (and fast) job:D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Best of luck out on the water! And get us some pics ASAP!!!!!

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

61 days later... (2 months to the day)

Ok, the interior is about 99% complete. I still need to get some quarter round to cover some carpet seams, and some hold down snaps for the seats, and re-stain/varnish the wood. But other than that she's done :)

As far as engine work today, here is what I did.

Rebuilt the carb.
Installed new fuel pump.
Installed new timing belt.
Installed new thermostat.
Replaced the alternator (found one for $175 brand new) The old one wouldnt charge.
Changed the outdrive oil. (which was like tar)
Installed a new impeller.
Installed new fuel tank fill line.
Installed new inline fuel filter.
Installed new fuel hoses.

For tomorrow, I will:

Drop the truck off for its service.
Change the engine oil and filter.
Add a few more clamps here and there.
Remove the prop.
Lower the outdrive into a large bucket with a hose running to it.
Start the engine.
Add snaps to the seats.
Install some quarter round.
Buy and apply some brush on bed liner for the front storage compartments.
Jam out to the awesome stereo system.
Maybe sand and varnish the wood pieces.
Down a few cold ones...
Maybe break for lunch...
Install a brake controller in my truck for the camper.
And if everything goes well, launch Dawndra (I named the boat after my wife Dawn)

Well here are the up-to-date pics for your viewing pleasure:

vinyl14.jpg

vinyl15.jpg

You will notice I removed the center glass. It was broken and I still need to get the size and order it. But I didnt want the frame bouncing around. I need to get a new hold down for it also.

vinyl16.jpg

I did all the sewing myself on my mother-in-laws $99 sewing machine. Mind you, the last I used a sewing machine I was just screwing around on it. This is my first major task other than sewing a button or two here and there. I got stuck with the sewing because my wife doesn't know how to, well that's what she told me anyways. ;)

If it wasn't for the weather, doing this project in my driveway un-covered, and the Army, I think I could have done this rebuild in half the time... To meet the 4th of July deadlined, there were a few things that I didn't do. For example, this winter, I plan to take the engine and outdrive back out of the boat to do a complete rebuild and repaint. And I also plan to get some new gelcoat put on for a clean new finish. I plan to scour the internet to find the original Bayliner decal kit and I want to replace the dash (someone felt the need to drill several small holes to make one big hole so they could add a hummingbird fish finder right next to the voltmeter). I may do a custom formed fiberlass dash, we'll see.

I'll post the results of the engine fire up and possible maiden voyage tomorrow if all goes well.

Enjoy :)

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Lookin real good man!!! But are you sure you got enough speakers in there:D

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Joey thats one cool looking ride.Might I add the only thing wrong is its not in my driveway.I love them old linners.Great build man.Now get some pics of her cutting up that lake.

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

Lookin real good man!!! But are you sure you got enough speakers in there:D

Enough speakers? nah... but I may have gone over the top just a tad... last year we rented a boat, and the radio didn't work, so we tried to listen to a battery powered radio and we could barely hear it. Well this time if we encounter a couple that has the same problem, they can follow a mile behind us and listen to our radio as well :)

May not get to launch the boat today :mad:

Topped it off with some coolant, next thing I knew, it was filling my bilge... just can't have nice sh!t. Broken bolt on the thermostat housing.... tried to drill it out and no luck... Im trying to work another angle and will keep everyone posted....

Well, better get back to sweating my ***** off outside in the sun....

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

ok, so we tried our first attempt at the maiden voyage... backed down the ramp, she fired right up, slid off the trailer... and there I sat waiting for my wife and son to park the truck...

all aboard we proceeding out of the no wake zone...

full throttle: chug chug chug cough chug chug...

half throttle: chug vroom vroom vroom chug chug...

idling: nice idle with a hickup here and there....

so finally eased up to full throttle then nada....

so I got some carb work to do, and that is just the beginning...

i was taking on water :(

found a few holes in the hull that i missed first go around... gonna patch them in the morning, get the carb running right, then attempt round 2 in the afternoon hopefully....

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, well took er out for the 4th and didnt take a drop of water on. WOOHOO!!!

Still have the problem with the engine/carb though. It almost sounds like it is starving for fuel... But one guy down at the lake told me it is from the ethanol. Im not sure how other states are, but Missouri has a requirement that gas is atleast 10% ethanol. Could that really be causing my problems? The same guy also said that he put some stabil in the gas, and it cured his problem...

On to other details, does anyone recommend a better location to hook up a tube? Right now I am using the transom hold downs with an airhead rig hook to that. It pulls great, but it is too low and the line drags in the water.

But other than that, had a blast, and hope everyone else had a great 4th.

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks real nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would like to do a restore on my 87 capri cuddy. How did you go about taking the old deck up? Is there only foam where the stringers are? how did you go about vinyling your lounge seats? thank-you in advance.