How to repair a transom after removing a Volvo AQ130-270 to re-power to 3.0GL-J-SX

montego

Banned
Hi guys.
Question:
How to repair a transom after removing a Volvo AQ130-270 to re-power to 3.0GL-J-SX
I am left with a cut out that I have to repair in a sound and proper way. Although I have my views on this subject I am searching for any one else's views and ideas which has been gained from experience.
The SX transom plate/kit will be seated up against a bearing surface that is with in the repaired cutout - therefore not sharing the load over the part of the transom that was original - in other words the repair will be supporting the bulk of the weight - so the bonding/attachment of the repair to the original transom has to be sound and strong. Any sound advise is most welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: How to repair a transom after removing a Volvo AQ130-270 to re-power to 3.0GL-J-S

The only part of the tansom that would not be touched is the outter surface. Use full size pieces and rebuild the entire transom from the inside. Any spaces left on the outside can be repaired and smooted out using fiberglass or epoxy.

The idea is to spread the load across the entire transom.

montego

Banned
Re: How to repair a transom after removing a Volvo AQ130-270 to re-power to 3.0GL-J-S

Bob_VT.
I am grateful for your reply thank you.

You said: The only part of the transom that would not be touched is the outer surface. Use full size pieces and rebuild the entire transom from the inside.

Are you suggesting I cut the transom out say within 4" of the outer edge of the boat (I can place a photo of the transom on to a website for you to view if it makes life any easier!) and then replace that entire section?

This transom docent have a separate interior or exterior skin - it is a classic 1970's half cab cruiser that I decided to restore; not US made (professionally made down under, Australia) The transom is 44mm thick - ply,glass, gel coat etc, if I was to attempt to separate the outer layer/skin I feel sure it will be damaged. Is there a link to an explained process that your aware of, that would make it clear to an idiot the procedure required to replace the transom as you have outlined.
Thank you.

montego

Banned

Sorry I explained my self poorly: I will try again:
I would like to leave the outer skin of the transom intact -BUT - it looks so well bonded that I really think it is going to get destroyed in the process, the wood is not rotten and it seems to have 100% penetration of glass/resin etc into the ply.