Nu-foam seat cushion foam

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
I picked up a fairly large amount of this stuff today, as it was 1/2 off at the fabric store (no shipping!). Has anyone used it? pro/con reviews on it? It comes in really large blocks (about the size of a twin sized mattress)

Here are some photos of it:

3457118338_d0f8a1389f.jpg

2 giant sections of 4" for the seat cushions, 4 small sections of 2" for the seat backs and a bunch of smaller 1" sections of nu-foam for the side panels.

3457118266_0806c80a59.jpg

Close up of the 4" nu-foam. It resembles a 3-dimensional fiberglass mat material, just made out of poly instead of glass.

3457118220_cd0ed73b0c.jpg

The label for the nu-foam for anyone interested. The description actually specifies boat seats, so that is encouraging

It is made to have water run through it, similar to those cheapie throwable cushions you buy at the marine store. Sitting on it feels quite comfy and the 4" material doesn't compress down to the floor, yet is nice and squishy.

The normal foam blocks were just outrageously priced and seemed as though they would just soak up water, making for one heavy (and moldy) cushion should it get wet.

Grand total for all of the foam was $175 incl tax, where the same amount of basic foam would have been about $550.

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: Nu-foam seat cushion foam

I would think it should work fine. If you sat on it and feels good, and as long as it doesn't break down, I think you're golden!

Did the cool dogs come with for the $175? :D

What are your helpers names?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

The package actually specifies that is doesn't break down like normal foam, so that too is promising.

The helpers are (left to right) Brandi and Brutus. They initially cost slightly less than the foam, but have made up for that difference in spades via beef bones and toys ;)

Brutus weighs about 85lbs and he barely compresses the 4", so I'm hoping all will be well. It sure is a lot of foam! I keep thinking I bought a cheap bed when I glance at it.

loges17

Cadet

What was the name of the store you got it from? What are the dimensions of the 4" piece? And how much is just a single sheet of it(4")?

Looking to purchase some foam, but I am in Bermuda so...there is not much to choose from...

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Going to be watching this.Mine needs done maybe next year.Let us know how it goes.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

What was the name of the store you got it from? What are the dimensions of the 4" piece? And how much is just a single sheet of it(4")?

The retail shop was 'Hancock Fabrics'. I went to their web site and they don't seem to sell the really big one over the net, so hopefully you can find a retail shop near you.

The dimensions are big, 54"x76"x4" (roughly the size of a queen sized mattress). I got it for 1/2 off, so the big ones were $54 each.