my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Ok, I finally have the cajones to put up pics...I am not as skilled as some of you guys, and well, may suffer from a little "project envy"...

Doing everything on a pretty tight budget to not impact the home cash flow too much..So bear with me..brought her home 800 bux poorer and one Mad woman in the truck, didnt speak to me for 2 days (ahhh silence)

Here's how she looked when I drug her home, 30 days ago..

111031.jpg

lucky me the p.o. gutted the rotten deck

111036.jpg

learned from my previous boat that lanolin no water shop hand cleaner really cuts grease with a scrub pad and a little bit of elbow grease, no fumes like oven cleaner..

Thus far I have the deck laid back in..(for the life of me I could not get the curves of the bow correct..didnt have a good template with the old deck & what I cut from cardboard did not end up on my cuts..)

Scrubbed and painted the gunwales & up under the bow with white rustoleum, wow..nice n clean! Found a "Kilroy was here" drawing with intials and "68"..From the factory I assume! Also found & had to chase a wasp nest out, it's my boat damm it!)

Used spray on truck liner for the whatever they are called areas where the side boards go back on and is left exposed...

Photo0210.jpg

Have part of the console painted, added the corona bottle opener, well cuz I like it..Polished up the speedo..looks pretty good, but it is pitted...The compass will have to be rechromed..Tried some chrome spray paint for the heck of it, just looks like dull aluminum....

dash2.jpg

There it is as of yesterday..have white jump seats for port and starboard that sit on 3/4 inch ply thats sealed and same color as the console.need to build a new doghouse..but it will get there....

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: my 68 Starcraft Holiday project

Okay.... in photobucket there is an edit function to edit the photos to 640 x 480.....

In the future when you use the image function the command is "
"

You had them loaded with an extra http\\ :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I do love the Starcrafts!!

North Beach

Commander

OK Kev! Now we're makin some progress! I know it's warm down there and you're itchin to get it in the water!
Did you do the bedliner over the old glue? I'm thinkin about tryin that with mine and was wondering how it worked out.

BTW, the 18' Ole Blue is gonna require a new floor without the old one as a template so I'm sittin here feelin your pain:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

OK Kev! Now we're makin some progress! I know it's warm down there and you're itchin to get it in the water!
Did you do the bedliner over the old glue? I'm thinkin about tryin that with mine and was wondering how it worked out.

BTW, the 18' Ole Blue is gonna require a new floor without the old one as a template so I'm sittin here feelin your pain:D

Thanks NB..you know how I feel about your SC!
Yep, I sprayed it right over..I first was removing the old glue with a wire stripper wheel on the drill..got on it for 20 mins and said WTH and tried a small spot, the bedliner spray went right over, looks pretty good up close as well..

Dont want to tell ya how much ply I simply wasted..cut it, get in the boat, it doesnt fit here, but it fits there, take a 1/4 inch of here...now its too short...cut a new piece...get in the boat...repeat...

I was thinking of sealing some of the big gap (Michael Strahan gaps) with marine silly-cone..what do you think?

North Beach

Commander

You still have the peice of trim metal the plywood sets on to go over it, right?

bear_69cuda

Commander

Cool boat!

I hope the factory dash bottle/beer opener stays! :D

"brought her home 800 bux poorer and one Mad woman in the truck, didnt speak to me for 2 days (ahhh silence)" That's funny!

Looking like your making some great progress!

And again, very cool boat! If I ever restore a classic, it will be a Starcraft!

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found a "Kilroy was here" drawing with intials and "68"..From the factory I assume!

Now THAT is cool, Kev.

Regarding Mad women: sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission ;) (800 bucks? sheesh, the trailer looks like it's worth more than that!)

Keep up the good work! My plywood may be cut a little better (ONLY because I had the old stuff to go by), but your floor already in the boat. Mine is still airing out in my living room. My whole place smells like Home Depot. Hmmmm. I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning. It smells like.... VICTORY.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Cool boat!

I hope the factory dash bottle/beer opener stays! :D

"brought her home 800 bux poorer and one Mad woman in the truck, didnt speak to me for 2 days (ahhh silence)" That's funny!

Looking like your making some great progress!

And again, very cool boat! If I ever restore a classic, it will be a Starcraft!

Thanks Bear! It was touch n go there for awhile..I tried to touch her and she would GO!..she's warmed up and has helped "a little"

Now THAT is cool, Kev.

Regarding Mad women: sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission ;) (800 bucks? sheesh, the trailer looks like it's worth more than that!)

Keep up the good work! My plywood may be cut a little better (ONLY because I had the old stuff to go by), but your floor already in the boat. Mine is still airing out in my living room. My whole place smells like Home Depot. Hmmmm. I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning. It smells like.... VICTORY.

Thanks Matt...been reading your thread and NB's, and its you guys that gave me project envy..lol THANKS I dont buy why yours is better..but thanks!

I'll try to get under there and snap a pic of the KILROY....It took me a second to realize what it was...

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Only a little time today..will finish the deck tomorrow...
Had a bright idea to have a stripe down the deck,
then figured if it was an arrow, it would be like the star craft ---> arrow logo....

thats my story and Im sticking to it

PIC-0002.jpg

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good, Kev. Racing stripes make everything look cool. You should see what I've done with my cat. Hey, it almost looks like your floor matches the truck in the driveway.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Looking good, Kev. Racing stripes make everything look cool. You should see what I've done with my cat. Hey, it almost looks like your floor matches the truck in the driveway.

Thanks Matt..
In fact I wanted to find the Nissan Midnight Blue for the hull, so that the boat and truck would make a good combo going down the road..But $$$ had me go with good ol rustoleum!

Even better would be a 68 Chevy stepside or El Camino to tow her with..

MrMarine

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Rustoleum Works For Me Check Out My Thread I Just Primed The Hull. Yours Is Gunna Look Nice When Its Done. You Just Have A Few More Square Feet Then Me. Keep Up The Good Work.;)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ok got the stripe painted..
Now I have my Starcraft "ARROW"
(patented trademark of Starcraft Ind) lol

arrowdeck.jpg

bear_69cuda

Commander

Thats super cool dude! Bet it's never been done like that before!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks Bear!

I guess from overhead I'll look like a floating compass needle..lol

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Just because I have gotten over my "project envy" lol

Here are my jumpseats..One for each side of the doghouse.

And here is my port side panel..I didn't cover it with foam and vinyl, just treated wood and painted..
I did clean up and spray the alum trim to make it a bit cleaner..

Attachments

• jump seats.jpg
    jump seats.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 0
  • port panel.jpg
    port panel.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 0

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey Matt...I just caught that..Did ya airbrush your pet? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.