Vinyl spray paint - anyone ever use it?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
In randomly clicking around on youtube today, I found a video by the makers of DupliColor showing how to paint vinyl seats in a car. I was amazed! I've never heard of such an animal as spray paint for flexible bits, especially something as flexible as a car seat!

Has anyone ever used this? Does it last? How durable/scratchproof is it?

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuiTj-VTvHo

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Vinyl spray paint - anyone ever use it?

I can tell you next week oh low one...

Gonna do my doghouse and my side runners..panels whatever the are called with it..Not the seats though..but then again.....lol

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I can tell you next week oh low one...

Gonna do my doghouse and my side runners..panels whatever the are called with it..Not the seats though..but then again.....lol

AWESOME! I'm tempted to use it in place of buying different color vinyl, just taping some neat patterns and spraying. Seeing as it'll be my first time doing any real sewing, I'm hoping this will be a nice alternative to complex seams and sewing patterns. Also, it will enable me to use some stencils in choice areas.

Do tell how it turns out!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

will do!
My starcraft is some kinda cream brown...and the dog house side panels are the color brown as my dash pic shows below...nasty...gonna be blue and white Shelby Cobra style, with the white stripe down the middle of the bow and then deck, then doghouse..will match these cool jump seats i found for 35 bucks! man i am cheeeeep! lol

Attachments

• seats.jpg
    seats.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0
  • boat color.jpg
    boat color.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 0

CATransplant

Admiral

The stuff works very well, but best with dark over light. Be sure to follow the instructions for cleaning and prepping the vinyl to be sprayed. Prep is everything.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you?re considering painting the upholstery I?m going to assume it?s already not in the best of shape. I really can?t see how you could go wrong painting it. I mean as long as the paint is not like a ridiculous price. Worst case you need to reupholster it if it doesn?t work and it probably needed that already.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

The stuff works very well, but best with dark over light. Be sure to follow the instructions for cleaning and prepping the vinyl to be sprayed. Prep is everything.

You kiddin me? A Vice Admiral dont hafta tell me twice! I'm sold! ;)

mrdopes

Seaman

rustoleum has a flexible vinyl paint. you can buy it at the local hardware chain store. I bought some at homedepot not too long ago...

I havnt had the chance to use it yet, but its in the garage....

I was going to use it on my upholstery, but came across a killer deal on material, so just bought the vinyl instead...

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=117

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Hmm, you gave me a good idea. I plan to paint some of the vinyl I already have using it, so I'll just cut a few square feet of it and lay it on top of the seat cushion in my truck. That way it'll get some use and testing before I decide to possibly ruin my hard work redoing the insides of my boat with it. No UV or sun fade testing, but better than nothing.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

I Have been on both sides of the vinyl paint thing. I did my seats last spring and the results were 50-50 the seats that were in good condition turned out well, the seats that were weathered the paint came off in a week in chunks on everbodys wet bathing suits. For sure preperation is the key(proper cleaning).

I was watching a thread last year about the same as this one and there was not many fans of vinyl paint. I guess that has chaned this year.

In my case I would use it again, I would just take my time and make sure everything is clean and replace not paint dry weathered vinyl.

Just remember car vinyl goes through diffent conditions than marine vinyl. At overtons they sell a marine paint + I have also seen vinyl preb and primer. In my stuation I bought the regular car vinyl paint about $4 a can.
Denny

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I used it on the seat of a jet ski.....was not impressed! I prepped as stated on the can.
It started peeling off by the end of that summer...It was Duplicolor brand if i remember correct.

Moody Blue

Captain

Before spending money on the Duplicolor product have a look at this product. Never used it but have heard good things about it. Website has how-to videos and tutorials as well.

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?cat=36

Was considering using this but got an amazing deal on a set of new seats instead.

cnr2003

Seaman

Before spending money on the Duplicolor product have a look at this product. Never used it but have heard good things about it. Website has how-to videos and tutorials as well.

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?cat=36

Was considering using this but got an amazing deal on a set of new seats instead.

This SEM vinyl dye is the stuff I used on the dash in my car. The vinyl was in good condition since it was a new car and i did a flat black over the original tan. It turned out extremely well and doesn't have a single scratch or scuff on it after 4 years. Not to mention I sprayed it when the temperature was around 35 degrees and it still turned out great!

bear_69cuda

Commander

I used SEM brand on my Barracuda resto. Kick panels and other items... Even used on my dash pad... The stuff is awesome... Like aforementioned... Prep is everything!