• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

My Jon Boat Conversion

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Jon Boat Conversion

Here's my jon boat conversion I just finished this weekend:

Comment

Re: My Jon Boat Conversion

Comment

Comment

http://red4mq.blu.livefilestore.com/...13JW6Cw/z4.jpg

What do you think ????

Comment

Looks nice.
            Have you had it in the water?
            Be careful when you first take it out, because the center of gravity of the boat is now way higher than it was before. Hopefully it is still stable enough with 2 people in it.
            Please no PMs. My mailbox is full anyway......

Comment

I like the reinforced rails under the deck...good thinking. The camo job looks great, too! You just go yourself a very inexpensive new fishing rig! I agree that you need to be careful about the center of gravity, please be cautious when you go out. You may also want to consider sealing the wood you used with resin, as water will make your deck soft in a couple of years.

Comment

Did you treat or coat the plywood before the carpet? It looks very good..... I would stability test it.
                This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
                Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Nice job! Did the same thing to my 14/36 Eldocraft. I stand up and fish out of it but I'm cautious of my movements. Will you have an outboard on the back? If not I'd suggest moving the battery to the stern. I put two large Trojan batteries on either side of mine and it helped with the stability a lot.
                  There are three types of people in this world:
                  Those who understand math and those who don't.

Comment

I have given some thought to her stability. And I want to be able to stomp around on that deck without any worries. So I'm considering an outrigger system to help keep me on deck.

Something like this:

Comment

Yes, I treated all of the wood with Thompson's Water Seal after all the cuts were made..stunk up the garage for 3 days.

Comment

Outstanding job !!!
                        Murph in Kansas
                        sigpic

Comment

The outrigger would help with stability but I'd drive me nuts while I was fishing. It may not be necessary though. I was actually surprised at how stable mine was. It's only when I get right on the edge that it gets squirrely. I've learned to stay in the middle of the boat and have yet to take a swim. If you're not going to have an outboard or a battery in the back or something heavy it may have a tendancy (when you're up front) to dip foward lifting the stern out of the water. If that happens the boat will spin around like a wind sock in a light breeze. Don't ask how I know.
                          There are three types of people in this world:
                          Those who understand math and those who don't.

Comment

Eventually (when the budget permits) I plan to put an outboard (9.9hp) on her. I'm also considering the outriggers to keep her stable for duck hunting.

Comment

Nice job . Is that a 1232 or 1436 ?
                              I got a 14'er waiting for time , weather , and , my natural tendacy to completely over-engineer every detail , lol .

Take her out for a sea trial when you get that 9.9 , it just might be a little more stable than you think .

Comment

Working...
                              X