• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

where to purchase marine plywood, and hatch door

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to purchase marine plywood, and hatch door

Ok I need to know where to buy marine grade plywood. (local franchise hopefully) They don't carry it it Lowe's, or Home Depot here.

Also I am wanting to get a hatch door for the bow glove box I will have made, if it is not too expensive. (the kind with a lock) You see these doors all the time in boats nowadays.

Re: where to purchase marine plywood, and hatch door

What will you be using this plywood for? The application may help you decide whether you really need marine plywood. It's likely that you don't.

Sure...go ahead and laugh at my old aluminum boat. It's paid for!

Comment

If it turns out you do, you can get it usually from a "real" lumberyard.. not a Lowes or Home Depot type place, but look in your phone book or online for a local lumberyard or building supply center that is less retail oriented. They'll have better quality wood usually too.

If they don't have it, they'll either know who will or they can order it in, usually cheaper than paying to have it shipped yourself.

The only big box type store I've seen to carry it locally near me is Menards, and then only in their larger stores.

Erik

Edit: In Texas, it should be relatively easy to find a lumberyard that carries the stuff locally, since you at least have some ocean coastline on the state
      Sea Ray SRV-210 - Winter refit
      75-85 foot displacement hull trawler - gleam in my eye

Comment

I was able to find marine grade, pressure treated ply at a local boat repair shop. He's selling the 3/4" ply to me for $60/sheet. This particular grade is 7 ply and guaranteed for life. You might be able to find it yourself by doing a google search in your area for "boat repair" and then narrow down the results to an actual repair shop that specializes in glasss boat repair. I had pretty good luck and was able to find people that specialize in motors, upolstery, and repair.
        '76 Fiberform Custom 18
        Volvo AQ130D/280

Comment

Like CAT said, if we knew what you were doing with it we could head ya in a good direction. I have replaced one of the hatches on mine and just used oak. with the poly on it the wood will never see the moisture.
          sigpic "Spend a little money, save a lot of time"

Comment

This wood will go in for the transom. I was going to leave it, but it was recommended to me that I replace it. 1/4 sheet of marine grade plywood would be more than enough. This is for a 14 ft aluminum boat.

Comment

lumber yard for the wood. might need to ask around but someone close will have it. the hatch you can get in the iboats marine store probably and if not just check around online
              1986 Larson Senza V-175BR
              1977 Columbian Celebrity 14'

New England Get Together.. Still getting ideas!! Come join in the fun!!
              http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....67&pagenumber=

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
              November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Thanks. I will see if they have what I am talking about for a hatch on iboats. I had hoped to get one locally though.

Comment

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/...pics/3287175/1

This is the type hatch I meant, it is for a deck. I had hoped to be able to get one with a lock. I did not see anything like this on iboats.

Comment

do you want it to be aluminum or whatever that metal is or can it be plastic?
                    1986 Larson Senza V-175BR
                    1977 Columbian Celebrity 14'

New England Get Together.. Still getting ideas!! Come join in the fun!!
                    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....67&pagenumber=

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
                    November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

You can add a hatch without purchasing anything fancy. Doesn't need to have a full frame around it. Stainless steel piano hinge, build a box underneath with a lip for the door to rest on, and a simple collapsing marine latch. Carpet (or not), done!
                      1989 Starcraft 171S Select "Cap'n Crunch" / OMC Cobra 4.3 V6 / 432APRMED

If you're going to keep that OMC Cobra, please for the love of everything good in the world, get an OMC factory service manual. Not a Clymers, Not a SELOC. You can find them on eBay.

My boat repair website: http://transomfix.dcpolk.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zach103 View Post
                        do you want it to be aluminum or whatever that metal is or can it be plastic?
                        I would prefer the aluminum. If it is too high, I won't get it though. It does look awful nice, a lot of fishing boats have them I noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by danond View Post
                          You can add a hatch without purchasing anything fancy. Doesn't need to have a full frame around it. Stainless steel piano hinge, build a box underneath with a lip for the door to rest on, and a simple collapsing marine latch. Carpet (or not), done!
                          I wonder where to get a piano hinge. The box below is the bow of the boat. I plan to put a glove box area in there, with a small casting deck on top. That will hold my first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and stuff like that. I would like to be able to lock it too.

Comment

Google!
                            1989 Starcraft 171S Select "Cap'n Crunch" / OMC Cobra 4.3 V6 / 432APRMED

If you're going to keep that OMC Cobra, please for the love of everything good in the world, get an OMC factory service manual. Not a Clymers, Not a SELOC. You can find them on eBay.

My boat repair website: http://transomfix.dcpolk.com

sigpic

Comment

I think the hatches in that thread you linked are assembled from aluminum frame, some panel pieces, and hinge and latch hardware... they don't look like they're a factory unit.

But if you want aluminum hatches, a couple good places to get them are here:

http://www.heatercraft.com/category.aspx?categoryID=36

and

www.greatlakesskipper.com
                              Sea Ray SRV-210 - Winter refit
                              75-85 foot displacement hull trawler - gleam in my eye

Comment

Working...
                              X