• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Painting over Metalflake?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting over Metalflake?

I have an old 83' Skeeter Bass boat that I am wanting to repaint. I have the Rustoleum marine paint and primer. I plan on putting in the large amount of prep work required, but I have a few questions about the prep. Most of the areas I want to repaint are a metalflake finish and my question is...do I need to sand all the way through the metal flake before I primer and paint or do I just need to sand it down to a smooth finish? I am not sure if the metal flake would eventually alter the finish or break through. And if any of you have painted a bass boat and have pictures I would love to see them.
    2009 Tahoe Q4 SS
    3.0L 135 HP Mercruiser
    2004 Chevy Avalanche Z-71

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, then there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Re: Painting over Metalflake?

Just sand smooth and prime.
    You don't need to remove the metal flake.

Comment

Alright, so I was sanding my boats and after a couple of passes with the orbital sander I noticed some loose metal flake from where I sanded a little too far. Can I still primer and paint over this without blimishes or do I have to sand all the way past the metal flake now...please tell me that I can just primer and paint,
      2009 Tahoe Q4 SS
      3.0L 135 HP Mercruiser

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, then there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Comment

Originally posted by NewYork View Post
        Alright, so I was sanding my boats and after a couple of passes with the orbital sander I noticed some loose metal flake from where I sanded a little too far. Can I still primer and paint over this without blimishes or do I have to sand all the way past the metal flake now...please tell me that I can just primer and paint,
        Just go by feel. If the surface is uniformly smooth and there is no loose junk, spray on the primer. You can always color sand it a little bit and reshoot if necessary. Again, it's important that the surface be sound.
        For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.-2 Timothy 4:3-4:

Comment

I cleaned the surface after sanding and although there is no longer any loose metalflake on the surface, I can still feel the metalfalke slighty pushing through. If I sand any further I will continue with the same results. Can I go ahead and primer over this and with primer and 2-3 coats of paint will the roughness show through?
          2009 Tahoe Q4 SS
          3.0L 135 HP Mercruiser

Comment

Prime it and go. I did the same and used PU paint (2 part). It's smooth and I have 2 clear coats to go! (I too have the Honkin Big metal flake to cover).
            Attached Files
            Boston Whaler 15 SS Ltd
            Glastron GT-150 '79 Resto
            Hobie 18
            Hobie 17
            Glastron Jetflite Resto

Comment

Thanks for the breath of relief, Divimon. Your paint looks amazing...did you spray that yourself? I am using the roll and tip method and if my finished product looks half as good as your pic then I will be a very happy man.
              2009 Tahoe Q4 SS
              3.0L 135 HP Mercruiser

Comment

Originally posted by divimon2000 View Post
                Prime it and go. I did the same and used PU paint (2 part). It's smooth and I have 2 clear coats to go! (I too have the Honkin Big metal flake to cover).
                So did you have the metalflake actually coming through? I noticed that if I ran my hand along the hull that I have little pieces of the silver metal flake on my palm. I keep wiping down the boat, but these things keep showing up. I just don't want them to be lose in the primer and end up causing any blemishes on my final coats.
                2009 Tahoe Q4 SS
                3.0L 135 HP Mercruiser

Comment

......I keep wiping down the boat, but these things keep showing up. I just don't want them to be lose in the primer and end up causing any blemishes on my final coats.
                  Wipe it down with a fluid on a cotton rag. Then shoot a couple or three coats of a scratch filling primer to lock it in. Wet sand and shoot another coat. You will probably be smooth and fine at that point. Then you can start shooting the color coats. Probably need 2 or 3, then clears go over that.
                  Last edited by Mark_VTfisherman; April 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM. Reason: clarity
                  Clean feet are happy feet; same for boats.
                  1964 MFG Niagara Deluxe
                  1969 MFG Edinboro

Comment

Originally posted by divimon2000 View Post

Ok hold on here for a min...First you would cut off dead material with 600-800 grit. Then a wipe with xylene then clear and clear followed with 1000 grit between coat's, That was the orignal process...am i missing something here...Aka prime it...Prime a clear...

Your going to have to build a final clear coat
                    Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

Speed is how fast you hit the wall
                    Torque is how far you move the wall"

Comment

Originally posted by Tail_Gunner View Post
                      Ok hold on here for a min...First you would cut off dead material with 600-800 grit. Then a wipe with xylene then clear and clear followed with 1000 grit between coat's, That was the orignal process...am i missing something here...Aka prime it...Prime a clear...Your going to have to build a final clear coat
                      I took it that he was painting another solid or metallic over the metalflake, not trying to repair it. Maybe I am wrong, but that was my take.
                      1964 MFG Niagara Deluxe
                      1969 MFG Edinboro

Comment

You are correct, I am not trying to repair the old metal flake finish I am painting over it with Rustoleum Marine Fiberglass Primer and Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint using the "roll & tip" method. If anyone has experiences with roll and tipping a bass boat please respond. I want to make sure that I make as few mistakes as possible, LOL.
                        2009 Tahoe Q4 SS
                        3.0L 135 HP Mercruiser

Comment

If anyone has experiences with roll and tipping a bass boat please respond.
                          Roll and tip is roll and tip no matter what you're doing it to. In your application it sounds like the prep is going to be the most important and you may need a few primer coats to get the base smooth for the color.

With those flakes you can feel, I'd be tempted to use some 600 or 800 grit paper and sand those areas by hand lightly just to knock down the flake a bit. Key word being LIGHTLY.

Comment

I was in the auto body industry for about 10 years and I know that you need to get rid of all the loose stuff. If you just primer over it there will small amounts of air trapped under the primer and eventually it WILL come threw and your paint will crack. I guess it just depends on how long you want your new paint job to last after all that hard prep work.

Comment

Metalflake sticking up in a paint surface ain't loose- it's just sticking up. If he's tacking off his sanding job with reducer on a rag or whatever there will be no loose stuff, just those nearly potato-chip-sized flakes sticking up.
                              1964 MFG Niagara Deluxe
                              1969 MFG Edinboro

Comment

Working...
                              X