1978 Ranger v178 Restore

justfish675

Cadet
Hello All,
Let me start out by say what a great help this site has been. Thanks all for your insight and knowledge on all these boat issues. I have read and read to the point of the wife getting upset with me. LOL. I was recently given a Ranger v178 with a merc 115. I have to say I was a little intimidated at first. Once I dug in I relized the potential I had in front of me. And before I go much futher I will be posting updates with pictures. I started out by guting and removing every thing from boat, all that is left is hull and deck. I left the livewell and fresh water pickup intack since it seem in good shape but everything else is gone.
Before I started I picked a corner of the deck to try and buff. yeah that didn't work I left more of the wool pad on the boat. Then I went to a 400grit paper and it smoothed out. The boat is faded and has the feel of 80 grit sandpaper. I fear the gelcoat is all but gone. While sanding I get a few metal flakes on paper but after a 400 then a 800 then buffing with 3m super duty i can get a nice shiney finish, not like the orginal but fair enough to live with. My first question is do you think that applying a new clear coat of gelcoat would be worth it? Since the boat is stripped and will have all the old gelcoat and oxidation off of it. I don't have a spray gun but I couid get one. Can gel coat be rolled and tipped?
Second, Does anyone know the size location and capacity of the original fuel tank for this boat? The original is long gone.
Well I am burning daylight have to go sand sand sand. oh yeah also have to repair the center of the floor wich I cut out in the dark last night when I was working in the boat my big a@@ fell thru buy front drain. LOL But needless to say hull and stringers are solid and intack.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1
  • boat3-640x480.jpg
    boat3-640x480.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1
  • boat4-640x480.jpg
    boat4-640x480.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1
  • boat5-640x480.jpg
    boat5-640x480.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1
  • boat6-640x480.jpg
    boat6-640x480.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1

texag87

Recruit
Re: 1978 Ranger v178 Restore

sweet boat.....love the color......need to find me one like it to restore

brmoon

Recruit

I have a 1978 Ranger Aztec V1750. The boat itself is solid but it is in need of a refinishing job. I would be very interested in any information you can share on how to get started on this and what materials I will need. It appears to just be the clear/gel coat. It has become milky and is flaky in some places. The color is good just needs to shine.

Thanks,

_7_

Cadet

Looking for an update on this if there is any additional information by the OP.