rent 3 engine hoist to paint boat?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Thinking when I get to painting my 68 starcraft..I could rent 3 engine hoist, one for the bow and one each corner in the stern, all attached to the eye hooks mounted.
Planned to leave the 4 cyl 120hp onboard..may or may not remove OD, probably will to paint it up as well..

Only need a few feet off the trailer so I can get her all at once..

Is this just insane?

92excel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: rent 3 engine hoist to paint boat?

I think it is doable that way.. but how much do they charge in your area to rent them? I imagine you would have to rent them for a few days so you can get total cure before setting her back on the trailer. might be cheaper to build a temporary ganty..

North Beach

Commander

Kev, I see them regularly in the local trader for 75-100 bucks. From a weight standpoint all you need is one on the stern. Ours goes to around 4000 pounds which is way more capacity than your boat even weighs. The problem we ran into was the front. The stabalizing legs of the hoist are so long and they go to the front so we couldn't get the trailer out without running over them.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Are you going to spray or roll and tip? Huh maybe I am cheaper than you but I would put it up on stands made from wood. I just look at the logistics of moving 3 engine stands!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Kev, I see them regularly in the local trader for 75-100 bucks. From a weight standpoint all you need is one on the stern. Ours goes to around 4000 pounds which is way more capacity than your boat even weighs. The problem we ran into was the front. The stabalizing legs of the hoist are so long and they go to the front so we couldn't get the trailer out without running over them.

Ahaaaaa..Didnt think of that..May build a frame and mount the come-a-long to raise the bow...

And to Bob_VT
I wasnt sure which way to go, leaning towards roll-n-tip..But have my heart set on getting the bottom completely covered...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

do you have exposed joist in your garage?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I second the joists method. Just be sure you brace the heck out of the joists. Maybe even make a homemade gantry for the bow and stern and buy (2) 1-ton chain pulls (they cost ~$35 @ harbor freight). That is likely the method I will go with. I made mine out of 6x6 tinbers, but you can likely get away with 4x4's and some bracing.

So:

4 - 4x4x8' (the supports)
2 - 4x4x10' (the spans)
2 - 1 (1/2 tonners will do if they carry them) ton chain falls
4 - 2x4x8' to use as feet and bracing for the supports

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Do you really think the bow and stern eyes are strong enough to support the weight of that boat? With an I/O engine? I think they will tear out!

I was leary about using the bow and stern eyes on my 600# speedboat to support it.

if you are just bottom painting it, block it up with cement blocks, paint it, put it on the trailer and touch it up.

mthieme

Captain

Thinking when I get to painting my 68 starcraft..I could rent 3 engine hoist, one for the bow and one each corner in the stern, all attached to the eye hooks mounted.
Planned to leave the 4 cyl 120hp onboard..may or may not remove OD, probably will to paint it up as well..

Only need a few feet off the trailer so I can get her all at once..

Is this just insane?

Yes.
Why don't you take it off the trailer using blocks like everyone else.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Yes.

Lol...I guess easy isn't my forte...Honestly blocking her and getting the trailer out seemed more daunting than my hoist idea..You guys understand that these things come to me in the grey area between being awake and just falling to sleep..I go to bed and wake up with this boat in my head..like many of you!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Yes.
Agree.. So much easier. If you learn how to stack dunage you can use just about any scrap dimensional lumber that you have laying around. If there is a Marina nearby, you can probably just go rent a set of stands. After that all you need is a 2-1/2 ton bottle jack to raise the bow. You use the trailer as a jack for the stern. Just lower the bow all the way down, put your blocks under the stern area and raise it back up. The boat stays high the trailer goes low.

North Beach

Commander

I spoke to a lady at Starcraft who's been there since the early 60's and she said they lift them by the stern and bow eyes all the time. The stern eye is called the stern lifting eye. Mine has a 12" x 12" x 1/4" steel plate on the inside. Fully rigged with the I/O the boat only weighs 1750 pounds and I'd bet yours is even lighter. With all the stuff I have removed, I'm probably only around 1300 or 1400 pounds right now.

I don't know if you noticed, but I have the stern blocked up since the danged engine hoist keeps bleeding off. We left it outside with the jack up and the shaft rusted and damaged the seal. But if I keep checking it every few hours, I can keep it off the blocks.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I painted mine this winter and just jacked up the boat(16' aluminum bass) and put it on 12'' blocks on the trailer then removed the bunks, it was a little tight but I got it done.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I painted mine this winter and just jacked up the boat(16' aluminum bass) and put it on 12'' blocks on the trailer then removed the bunks, it was a little tight but I got it done.
That''ll work too. North Beach is right about the lifting eye's that's what they are there for. I talked to Craig over at Starcraft about that also.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

i was planning the same but one hoist in back and one in front , put boat on ground then lift. I was going to remove outdrive possibly engine.