Which fiberglass to use for stringers/deck and maybe transom?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
I have been looking for deals on fiberglass recently and having found this on ebay: roll of 1.5oz mat ($150 shipped)

Will this be enough to do stringers, deck and possibly a 3x3 section of my transom (I have a multi-section transom)?

I wasn't expecting such a high cost of fiberglass and with no work my budget is getting tightened a bit.

The boat is in the sig (a 20' bayliner capri). I am hoping to gelcoat the deck and not carpet.

Are there better deals for fiberglass or something other than mat I should be using? I'm looking for bare budget, here.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Which fiberglass to use for stringers/deck and maybe transom?

Well, I ordered up the mat, since it seemed like a good bargain, so I hope that is the correct glass to use.

I'm going to wait until the last minute to order the poly, since it apparently goes bad quite quickly. Rather use it immediately after getting it. Seems as though UScomposites beats out everyone, save one shady yahoo merchant who is $100 less, which seems too fishy for me.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

This will be far more mat than you'll need, and you'll need some 24oz roving also, so start looking for that too.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

holy ****e batman......

what he said...^^^^^^^^.....thats a big roll.

but it is only matt.....as said above you also need a "kint" or "cloth" product.
so you still need more glass.

see the hull extension thread for detailes.

cheers
oops