• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

OK to use exterior treated plywood for deck?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK to use exterior treated plywood for deck?

I've posted several times here on my deck and have a plan and all the stuff ordered except the wood. Someone laid a floor in there but then quit and its only half inch. My question is, would I be messing up if I put in 3/4 treated exterior plywood from Lowe's in at 32 bucks a sheet verses 3/4 marine plywood at 70 bucks a sheet?

Re: OK to use exterior treated plywood for deck?

Originally posted by chris0061 View Post
    I've posted several times here on my deck and have a plan and all the stuff ordered except the wood. Someone laid a floor in there but then quit and its only half inch. My question is, would I be messing up if I put in 3/4 treated exterior plywood from Lowe's in at 32 bucks a sheet verses 3/4 marine plywood at 70 bucks a sheet?
    Yep just make sure you coat it with 3 to 4 coats of something, I used polyuerthane on mine !! John
    http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj258/jcsercsa/

STANLEY CUP CHAMPS 35-36 36-37 42-43 49-50 51-52 53-54
    54-55 96-97 97-98 01-02 07-08

Comment

Originally posted by jcsercsa View Post
      Yep just make sure you coat it with 3 to 4 coats of something, I used polyuerthane on mine !! John
      Yup done mine two years ago like this right over the top of the original deck because It got a hole in it. No stringer rot or wet foam so thought hey what the heck. To be able to check the condition I screwed a piece to an old treee stump in the back yard. I just checked it yesterday and it looks good as new and even the screw looks good. I thought it might rot. I used decking screws and only replaced the back half up to the front of the back to back seats. Then matched the carpet the best I could with Deck Carpet from Home depot. I probably got $80 in the whole thing.
      Chuck
      "OWN-IT II"
      1986 Four Winns Horizon 190
      1982 Aqua Patio
      50 Hp Two stroke

Comment

ok great, I got 3 gallons of epoxy resin on the way so I'll give the bottom two coats and then coat the top, lay the mat then coat again. Thanks guys,

Comment

i did lots of research on the subject as well and ended up using marine plywood. I bought mine from a local bot repair place because it was "kiln dried" i didnt have the time or patience to allow mine to dry and have heard MANY TIMES that if the PT is still wet the epoxy/ poly will not saturate it for good protection.

If you can allow it dry as long as possible. THe yard where I bought it uses it in all of there restorations. They have been around for about 15 years and have a good reputation for quality work. I trust there opinion and experiance.

Good luck with your project! Check out mine at: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=297511

Comment

Oh yeah if your using epoxy you way good.

Poly and so mat would work too, if you wanted to save some dough.
            sigpic1982 Baja 16ss

Comment

When I redid the deck on my boat I just used regular plywood. The place that I looked it up on line said not to use Marine plywood because the fiberglass rosin does not stick to treated wood as well as non treated wood. So I put the resin top and bottom and it seemed to work well. That was about 5 years ago.
              sigpic "Spend a little money, save a lot of time"

Comment

There is a lot of mis-information and mistaken beliefs about PT ply in boats. The APA (Engineered Wood Association) recommends PT plywood in boats and there are a few publications by them confirming their tests and promotion of PT wood in boats. And there are tests by the APA that show resin sticks very well to PT plywood even at 90% moisture (sopping wet).

But read it straight from the horses mouth here and make your own decision:

http://www.glen-l.com/wood-plywood/b...g-plywood.html

http://www.glen-l.com/wood-plywood/f...s-plywood.html

Also, ask Bond-o about how well pressure treated plywood has been holding up in his boat for the last 10 years.

3/4" is probably over kill. Go with 5/8 if the 1/2 was not strong enough. Plus the glasswork will add more rigidity to the floor.
                sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Comment

Originally posted by chris0061 View Post
                  Using exterior ply is fine. Using 3/4 vs. 1/2 can cause problems if you don't remember you're a 1/4 higher than you were before. Anything you intend to fit back in will need to be trimmed.

Comment

Working...
                  X