Removing Bottom Paint

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
When I purchased my Mariah Davanti Z235 last fall, one of the things I wanted to do to it was remove the bottom paint, as it was UUUGGGGLLLYYY!

I did a fair bit or research on sanding it off, having it soda blasted, and also looked at using paint stripper.

After getting some quotes for sanding and blasting, $$$ I decided I would take a shot at paint remover. I decided to give Circa 1850 Soft strip a try. http://www.swingpaints.com/1820.htm It contains no methylene chloride or MEK, and is environmentally friendly. I tested a small area first, to make sure it had no effect on the gelcoat itself.

While it did take a few applications to remove it, and you have to leave each application on for a while, [I used a paint tray and roller] I'm pleased with the results. Once the paint was softened up by the stripper, I used a pressure washer to remove it. Like I said, it did take a few applications over a few days, but I think the results are pretty good. There are still a few spots that need to be removed, but they will sand out pretty easy. I then plan on touching up the gelcoat in a few spots, and making her shine again.

Here are some before and after pics.

DSCN0109.jpg

DSCN0131-1.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Removing Bottom Paint

Try some fast cut 3m compound and a variable speed polisher on it. The 3m compound might eat right through the remaining paint spots but be very carefull you do not burn the gel coat finish by using the polisher the wrong way.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

Actually, I don't plan to use any paint at all. This will be a trailered boat, and under all that mess, the gelcoat was in good shape. I just need to remove the rest of the paint, touch up a few gelcoat spots, polish it all, and then a good wax.

58hydraglide

Seaman

Looks good 300sflyer, I am in the process of stripping the bottom on my hull. I started sanding. nasty! Your thread inspired me to use stripper. Although not fun, much better than sanding!
Mike

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

Glad I could help.:)

The stripper is temperature sensitive, and works best at about 70F.

Good luck!

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

Here is an update.

I'm all finished. I ended up putting a 4 coats of Interlux VC Perforfance Epoxy on the bottom, after I prepared the surface. I could have buffed out all of the imperfections in the gelcoat, but I was pressed for time, and wanted the boat out of my shop to work on other projects. I think she looks pretty good!:D

DSCN0154.jpg

DSCN0155.jpg

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Looks a lot better than "pretty good"

Looks superb!

Moody Blue

Captain

That looks truly awesome. How about a few tips on how you achieved such a great finish. Looks like a new boat.

I was contemplating painting my hull but was afraid of not being able to achieve a good finish.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

Basically I just followed the directions for applying the Interlux VC Performance Epoxy. I used a roller to apply it after properly filling any imperfections, and then sanding the entire gelcoat. I taped it off using painters tape, and started rolling, using a very short haired [nap] roller. I too was surprised at how nice it looks. ;)

Have look here. http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

It's listed under the anti-fouling paints, even though it is not intended as such. It dries to a very hard semi gloss sheen, that does not ware off with use.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.:)