removing bottom paint- slow progress

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class
We got this boat last fall and keep it trailered now. I made the decision to remove the bottom paint -20 years of coats of soft and hard. It was a lot more work than I expected, but am almost done. The bottom/gel is in decent shape underneath. I have a few gel paste patches to do. I used all sorts of methods- chemical strippers, oven cleaner, wet sanding

boatbottom.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: removing bottom paint- slow progress

Looks like you are doing a great job. I did that years ago on an older tri hull and it was horrible work to do. I applaud you on your effort and results!

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

no painting yet. That is the gel coat underneath. I mostly took the last of paint off with a combination of oven cleaner or wetsanding with 600 grit.

I'm hoping not to paint, but will re-evaluate later.

ugh, elbow grease,lol.
I am thinking of doing this to mine, just not sure which route to take yet, remove, or repaint. . .
Good Luck!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Wow, that looks great! I may consider doing the same to mine, instead of repainting... whenever I get around to it! LOL!

Once you get it to the point where you are ready to restore the gelcoat, try applying some Penetrol, which is available online.

Keep us posted and thanks for the pic!

-BWR

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

BWR-
Thanks for the comments. What is the penetrol supposed to do? I don't recall hearing that one.

58hydraglide

Seaman

Penetrol is supposed to bring back the color and shine. It is used as an additive for oil based paints. I have used it when hand painting interior trim on some house I built. It helps the paint level out. I have never used it on any fiberglass though.

Budcruiser

Recruit

I have used penatrol it works great on fiberglass.