• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

How do I thin epoxy resin for plywood coating?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I thin epoxy resin for plywood coating?

I have read that you may thin resin with acetone at a percentage to saturate plywood before you actually apply fabric, so that it penetrates deeper and then you use resin at full strength epoxy resin on top when you apply fabric? Would 10% be good and is that by volume before adding epoxy hardener or after adding the hardener. I will let these cure for a couple of days before I apply fabric. Any help is appreciated.

Re: How do I thin epoxy resin for plywood coating?

bzajdek,

Yes you can thin epoxy with acetone and you would add it after you have thoroughly mixed the hardener. I did the same thing using acetone and I believe it evaporates too quickly to allow the thinned resin to really penetrate. I have heard that you can also use xylene,toluolene (sp?), mek or denatured alcohol. I have never tried any of these. You can also use CPES but it is very expensive. That is what I have used to really penetrate the wood. Do a search on here and you should find somemore info. If not I'm sure a few guys in the know will chime in that have had experience thinning resin.

Mike
    '73 slickcraft ss 235

'92 starcraft 170 dc walleye

Comment

You're better off not thinning it, adding solvent will lower the viscosity, but it also degrades the resin, physical properties drop when you add anything not in the original formula. Is also does little to help penetration, so you don't really gain much for the downside of weakening the resin. Some people claim adding as much as 50% of some type of solvent works great, but if you’ve ever seen what it does to resin you’d think differently. This applies to both epoxy and polyester. Many of the penetrating epoxies on the market are just normal epoxies with a great deal of low cost solvent added, then they jack up the price.

Comment

ondarvr,

I have heard that also. (from someone who sells thinned epoxy, but there solvents don't ) When you say it degrades the resin. What properties are sacrificed. Strength, Waterproofing, adhesion, etc ? The reason I ask is the only place I would like to use thinned resin is to saturate my plywood before glassing to penetrate the porousity of the wood, hoping to delay the eventual decay, which I wouldn't think would suffer from a loss of strength. The strength will be achieved when its glassed. (im talking stringers, bulkheads, sole etc. Not necessarily the transom, although I would like to saturate all cutouts and drilled holes in the transom as well. I think this is what bzajdek is after also.

Thanks, Mike
        '73 slickcraft ss 235

'92 starcraft 170 dc walleye

Comment

Every property you mentioned is reduced by adding solvents and there is little difference in penetration, plus if the wood gets wet it will rot with either product.

Thinned epoxy is less water resistant and will absorb water faster than unthinned resin.

Apply a coat of epoxy and let it soak in, repeat this until it won't suck any more up and then glass it.

Comment

Ayuh,...

The whole Penetration thing is alittle overboard,.... Really...

If you take a piece of epoxied plywood,+ Bust it...
            There's Wood stuck on the inside of the epoxy,.. It's Stuck,... How deep do you need,..??
            As for the Rot factor,...
            Wood usually rots because of untreated Screw Holes....
            The wood Rots from the holes in the center Out....

For stringers, bulkheads, etc,...
            You can either build so the strength of the wood itself is utilized, as a lighter lay-up,...
            Or,..
            You can use the wood to support the lay-up til it sets,+ the lay-up will be All the structure needed to keep your barge afloat...

Personally,....
            Draining Water away from whatever composition you dream up is the #1 thought going into Any lay-up for a hull...
            Boats, Will take on water,.. somehow, some way,...
            As long as drainage allows for drying,... Everything else will just fall into place....
            Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Originally posted by ondarvr View Post
              You're better off not thinning it, adding solvent will lower the viscosity, but it also degrades the resin, physical properties drop when you add anything not in the original formula. Is also does little to help penetration, so you don't really gain much for the downside of weakening the resin. Some people claim adding as much as 50% of some type of solvent works great, but if you’ve ever seen what it does to resin you’d think differently. This applies to both epoxy and polyester. Many of the penetrating epoxies on the market are just normal epoxies with a great deal of low cost solvent added, then they jack up the price.
              I agree with what Ondarvr said.

Thinning the resin reduce the amount of "solids" in the product. The more solids; the stronger and more durable the product is.

I have used Hi-Solids epoxies which have zero solvents in them which makes them low VOC (volatile organic compounds)compliant.A good thing if you live
              in states strict on those compounds...ie California.

These are durable as hell and self leveling to boot. I have never thought about using them in a marine application until now.

I have, however, used moisture cured urethane on a previous "patch" job on
              a deck that showed ZEROsigns of failure in more than 2 years. This maybe what i am going to use on my proper fix, currently underway, as it showed such promise. (see photo).

These products are considerably cheaper than resin.

I will keep you all informed.

Hope that offers a little bit of clarity, while not being too long winded.

Cheers Guys
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Davinciman; March 8th, 2009, 08:43 PM. Reason: punc
              Catch & Release.... in the grease!

MyProject:http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=295535

Comment

Before thinning epoxy read this article.

http://www.seqair.com/skunkworks/Glu.../Thinning.html

Comment

You have replied to a thread that is 9 months old.......
                  This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
                  Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_VT View Post
                    You have replied to a thread that is 9 months old.......
                    Ayuh,.... But it's a Good 1 though,....
                    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Yeah, but it was the second result I saw when researching the topic. I thought I might save sombody some headaches and maybe their life by referrring them to the article I found as the 1st search result.

Comment

Do me a favor ...... re-post the exact information in a new thread and title it "Before thinning epoxy read this" and re-post the link.

It is a good article and it would make a better impact that way.

Then I will close this older thread.
                        This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
                        Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

I did not thin at all. It really did a nice job.
                          1986 Carlson CVX-18 Restoration

1995 Sea Ray 220 Signature Deck and Stringer Restoration (SPLASHED!!!)

1981 Glastron SX-190 Rotten Transom Replacement and Re-power! (Splashed and SOLD)

Follow !

Comment

I let the plywood warm up in the sun to let the pores open up so to speak.

It seems to have made a difference as I used more epoxy versus the other wood work done on a colder day. The stuff done on a colder day seemed to me at least as to not show as much grain after my first pass.
                            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=319609

http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/v...y%2018%20redo/

sigpic

1977 Starcraft Holiday 18 I/O

Comment

Originally posted by Bond-o View Post
                              Ayuh,.... But it's a Good 1 though,....
                              Bond-o

What's with the "Ayuh" at the start of every one of your posts?

In my experience that's a Maine thing, and you're a long way from there on Lake Ontario on the western edge of upstate NY...

Inquiring minds want to know................

Comment

Working...
                              X