CEE BEE Avenger Rebuild: Still Goin' Strong!

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All,
It's been awhile since I posted here. I thought I'd repost a link to the resto I did on the boat I presently own over the Winter/Spring of '06-'07. I've made a couple changes to the rig since I last posted. I put a jack plate on (total set-back about 7"), SeaStar Pro hydraulic steering, and an '87 Merc. XR2 150. This boat is now capable of 70+ mph, though I haven't had it that fast yet. Need to play with props and get used to the handling at that speed. I post again because I'm an amateur boat restorer that had excellent results in the rebuild of this boat. Were there things I would do differently were I to do it again? Absolutely! But that's why I'm here. If you are considering restoring a similar boat I would love to give you what advice I can, and steer you in the right direction as much as possible.

Be safe, and have fun out there!
TG

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n103/tadpoleig/

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: CEE BEE Avenger Rebuild: Still Goin' Strong!

I remember that boat. So you dumped the inline and went with a 150. Still looks great :D

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

Long story on that in-line. LOVED that motor! Ran perfect, and NOTHING sounds like one of them. Really, I ended up getting that 150 with no money out of pocket, and it's perfect. I wanted more hole shot, because that 115, even with a 20P High Five would barely pull me out of deep water slalom skiing. But I'm a big dude (240lbs). I was perfectly content to keep the 115, because it WOULD pull me up, but this deal for the XR2 was way to good to pass up.

TG

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Looks good. I too had to repower my Avenger from a Merc 1500 to a Merc 135HPV6. The bottom power is much better, and the top end is likely better as well, althought I have never actually ran at full speed due fear and rough water.

As you probably already know, if you hit a wave at 50MPH, you will go airborne. I call it "takeoff speed". Watch for chine walking at speed, and hold her real steady. Keep the open side up!