How can I replace this helm (and make it look good)?

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One of my projects (hopefully) before launch is to ditch this 80's looking, barely functional helm with something simple and functional.

Believe it or not, it appears to be held in place with a few screws. Although the shape is angular and odd, the supporting fiberglass structure is very even and symmetrical. My thought is I could remove the black piece (And toss it), then lay some plywood, and drill holes for new gauges, steering system, switches, etc.

What I don't know about, is how do I make it look somewhat decent? IDEALLY, I would have a beautiful, white gelcoated helm that blended seamlessly with the surrounding fiberglass. However, after researching this stuff a bit, it's pretty clear there's no way I'm going to be able to do that. I just don't have the skill/knowledge.

What else could I do? Maybe just a couple fiberglass mat layers, and paint white? Then how would one handle the edges? Maybe just wrapping the whole thing in vinyl would be best? Other thoughts?

SANY0162.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: How can I replace this helm (and make it look good)?

I don't think it looks bad at all. Nowhere near as bad as some of those 80's Bayliners. Are the gauges functional? If not I can see that you'd want to replace it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't replace the entire dash, just remove the gauge panel and replace with new gauges.

Use 1/4" plexiglass. Cut to the right size, cut the holes for the gauges, drill mounting holes. Then paint the back side the color you want. Silver, black, white and gold look great. Put down a layer or two of construction paper to protect the painted surface, cut the holes for the gauges in the paper and mount the gauges. Just be careful not to scratch the paint.

The 1/4" clear plexy gives the painted back side a deep glossy look. Mount with some stainless screws with alen (hex wrench) heads and it will look professional, as well as easy to remove to add new switches, etc.

Another idea is to use white formica and glue onto 1/4" ply, then cut the holes. Sand the edges smooth, and paint white to hide the ply edge or look for aluminum U channel to dress it up.

Use hole saws to drill the holes for a perfect fit, that adds to the professional look.

And your idea of using vinyl is good too. Use 1/4 or 3/8" ply, cut the holes, and use contact adhesive to glue the vinyl on, then cut out the vinyl from the holes. Fold vinyl around the sides snug and staple or cantact glue.

Any of those methods will give you a great looking dash. I think the simple face gauges look best, and are easy to read. I have the sportsman line in my MFG and I really like how easy they are to read, even when bouncing around in the chop.

reelfishin

Captain

I've done a few with padded vinyl panels, a few with the plexiglass panels as Mark describes, and several finished wood panels with stained veneer.

I was never a fan of those oddball Bayliner gauges, when they fail, your only option is a complete redo of the dash.
I also always thought they were hard to read.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i don't like the guages, but the rest looks fine to me.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I like the beer staging mini cooler, lol

erikgreen

Captain

If it were me, I'd probably do a wood frame that I could paint white, with the front panels being removable aluminum flats, with holes for gauges.

One easy way to build a new one and make it look good is to do the basic shape (like a box) in thin ply and glass it, then fair it and paint white. The guages you could buy an assembled gauge cluster from another type of boat from Great Lakes skipper or similar.. then you just mount the cluster.

My new boat I'm doing an aluminum console with four gauges, all electronic/NMEA2k, plus in-dash mounts for my GPS and a tablet PC. It's just going to be a pedestal shaped box with a sloped front and aluminum panels with the gauges in them.

Erik

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, so many good ideas - this is why I love the iBoats forum!

ezmobee said:
I don't think it looks bad at all. Nowhere near as bad as some of those 80's Bayliners. Are the gauges functional? If not I can see that you'd want to replace it.

It's not awful I guess, but it's asynchronous with the styling I'm going for in the rest of the boat. The fuel gauge doesn't work, and the other gauges are hard to read!

mark42 said:
Put down a layer or two of construction paper to protect the painted surface, cut the holes for the gauges in the paper and mount the gauges.

Mark42... WOW, a host of great ideas I NEVER would have thought of! I lost you a little bit with the construction paper - is that literally just to protect the paint from getting scratched by the mounting hardware?

What I really like about this idea is something you wouldn't even have known.... I'm planning to ditch the black plexiglass cuddy door (visible to the left in that picture) anyway... How cool would it be if I chopped it up and used it to make my new dash?! Talk about reusing original parts! And I'm pretty sure that's 1/4" plexi too, and black would be perfect. I don't know what's involved in cutting plexiglass, but I'm going to start looking - thanks!

I also like your other ideas as far as plexi/formica, and the vinyl might work, but I'll keep that as a last resort for now.

reelfishin said:
I've done a few with padded vinyl panels, a few with the plexiglass panels as Mark describes, and several finished wood panels with stained veneer.

Any tips for the plexiglass construction? This sounds ideal to me considering my supply! And you're right - my boat is a Wellcraft, but similar gauges and they are hard to read (and reaaaally ghetto looking too!).

erikgreen said:
One easy way to build a new one and make it look good is to do the basic shape (like a box) in thin ply and glass it, then fair it and paint white.

I agree, but having no fiberglass experience, do you think I could do this and make it look good? I'm asking seriously... this would be my ideal finish, but from what I've read it sounds like it's difficult to get a smooth finish right? Any tips if I went this route?

Impotant related question for ANYone to answer... electrically, should I be able to wire new gauges (haven't picked any yet) using existing wiring (Assume all wiring intact)? Or does this typically require all new wiring? If all new wiring is involved, I may cut this off right here, or put it off to later in the season.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I like the look of the panel below, looks like a nice hardwood that the radio gear is sitting in, why not copy that? Should be easy to do with some woodworking tools.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, the paper is just to keep the gauge mounting brackets from scratching the paint.

I think that the wiring that is there will work, might have to lengthen wires some behind the dash depending on your layout. Chances are even the senders are "standard", but you should check to see what is there.

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like the look of the panel below, looks like a nice hardwood that the radio gear is sitting in, why not copy that? Should be easy to do with some woodworking tools.

Thanks! I made that last year. I plan on keeping it, but I'm going to redo that whole lower panel so it's not carpeted (I'm thinking fiberglass and paint). I certainly will consider using Mahogany for the helm, but I think that's a lot of wood and probably a bit overkill. Might be nice to at least trim it out in Mahogany, which would complement that radio console nicely.

striper2101

Seaman Apprentice

You could also try using King Starboard, it is like a cutting board material but better. I think it comes in black and you could use it for the bottom panel as well.

erikgreen

Captain

I don't know what's involved in cutting plexiglass, but I'm going to start looking - thanks!

Any tips for the plexiglass construction? This sounds ideal to me considering my supply! And you're right - my boat is a Wellcraft, but similar gauges and they are hard to read (and reaaaally ghetto looking too!).
Plexi is basically score and snap, and then you can flame polish (partially melt) the edges. It's fairly easy to work with if you can get the hang of snapping it. I personally went to using a fine tooth saw blade and some water for coolant (otherwise the plexi welds itself back together while warm).

I agree, but having no fiberglass experience, do you think I could do this and make it look good? I'm asking seriously... this would be my ideal finish, but from what I've read it sounds like it's difficult to get a smooth finish right? Any tips if I went this route?
It's not too hard actually. A simple geometric shape is probably the easiest thing to glass except a flat board. You just need to practice with a couple pieces of board first, to make sure you have the hang of it.

Getting it smooth is pretty simple... production boats are molded smooth, but for a one-off you can fair it. Just glass it first, then you smooth putty over it made from epoxy and filler or poly and filler. Sand the putty fair (flat) using whatever method you like, and using a guide coat to tell when you're done.

Once it's fair, paint it with a high build primer and sand smooth, follow up with more coats as needed and then the final paint, and you can make it a mirror surface if you take the time. It's not hard, just time consuming.

If you don't care so much about mirror shiny, you still get a surface that looks like most "average" boat finishes by fairing and painting.

Impotant related question for ANYone to answer... electrically, should I be able to wire new gauges (haven't picked any yet) using existing wiring (Assume all wiring intact)? Or does this typically require all new wiring? If all new wiring is involved, I may cut this off right here, or put it off to later in the season.
You can use the old wiring if you understand it, and if it's in good shape. A lot of boats, mine included, had been re-wired a couple times by questionable individuals with three hands.

If your wiring is clean and understandable, use it again. If you buy one of those consoles, it may come pre-wired anyway.

Erik

stephentyler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went from this........
Mark

That looks FANTASTIC... one question - how'd you make the bottom part? Is that vinyl on foam, or fiberglass?

Did you do the vinyl work yourself? Was it difficult? Nice job!!!

kelmar

Cadet

The vinyl was put over 1/4" thick foam to add a little softness. The foam also helps hide existing holes in helm when reconfigured. Step 1. use spray glue to attach foam over helm. Next I covered center section where gauges are positioned with vinyl by using contact cement over the top edge. I covered plywood with vinyl and screwed down to cover the raw edge at the top of gauge section. The lower switch panel was folded back and secured by a thin strip of aluminum and screws. This hid the raw edge from the gauge section. The switch panel lower edge was pulled to the back of helm and stapled. Made wood trim pieces to finish out. Was it easy? Compared to putting insulation, foam, and vinyl all inside the cabin, it was a snap.....lol...
not really, it took many hours of work..
Mark
More project pics.........http://picasaweb.google.com/kelmarray

101_1332-1.JPG

101_1299.JPG

101_1311.JPG

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That is some really excellent work kelmar.