never used fiberglass mat or poly resin, putting it on floor tomorrow few ?'s

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys I have a new cut ski lift out center board ready to go in my boat, but first I want to put poly resin and fiberglass mat down.

I went to walmart and bought the "bondo" brand poly resin and some of their fiberglass mat. Think the bag said it covers 8ft? anyway..

anyway I am not sure of the correct procedure..do I coat the wood with the poly resin FIRST before I put any fiberglass mat down?

what is the sequence is my main question here.

lets say the proper thing to do is to coat the wood with the poly resin first before putting the fiberglass mat down. Do I allow that first coat to the wood to harden and set BEFORE I put the fiberglass mat down or while that coat is wet then lay down the fiberglass mat.

at that when the mat is down do you allow it and the under coat to dry before putting resin on top of the mat or do you lay the top coat of resin on the mat wihle the under coat is wet or dry or what.

I think you guys understand my question here, it's what is the proper sequence for this :)

thanks

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: never used fiberglass mat or poly resin, putting it on floor tomorrow few ?'s

hi weider.....answer comin right up....dont go away....youll have more questions

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: never used fiberglass mat or poly resin, putting it on floor tomorrow few ?'s

dont forget to follow the mfgr's instructions right to the letter....including the temps you do it in.

normally the wood is coated with resin and let to allmost harden before the next layer of glass is layed........

but....

you have waxed resin......wax is a release agent.... you cant let it harden....

just mix up a small amount of catylised resin...apply it to the board..wait for a little bit......then mix up some more......and before the first layer gets too tacky.....apply the next layer of chopped strand matt......(that is the short hair like kind of fiberglass.....if you have the cloth....you have the wrong stuff.....the csm allways goes first over a surface)....

just apply the matt....add the fresh resin over the tacky one.....take your squeegee or fuzzy roller and take all the air bubbles out of the job.

hope that helps....
cheers
oops

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok so mix up resin to maufactures specs obviously..

ok so with my BARE plywood..apply one coat of mixed resin...allow to become somewhat tacky but not TOO tacky..then apply the FIRST layer of fiberglass mat..then once mat is applied over the tacky resin apply a layer of resin over the mat and push air bubbles out with roller or squeegy

correct?

so:

apply resin to wood
allow to become a little tacky
apply mat
then apply resin over mat then push the air bubbles out with squeegy

then i'm done??

*I was with you until you said apply the "next" layer of mat..at that time in your steps it shoulda been the first layer of mat.

does resin darken the wood? i noticed my original piece with resin on it has a varnish darker apperance to it. any need to apply a varnish before the resin ti seal the wood even more?

Bondo

Staff member

apply resin to wood
apply mat

then i'm done??

Ayuh,... You've got it...

If you're only appling 1 layer of mat, skip the "next" layer part of it...

It'll darken Slightly......

a70eliminator

Captain

Don't skip sealing the edges, you mignt just get by with sealing it up with resin alone without the mat, and make sure you have a loose fit now then after sealing up the edges it will be just right, if you like the fit now then prepare for it to be awfull tight fitting when your done.

You are building the ski locker hatch right?

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks guys the job is done turned out great, might even walk down to my building and take a few pics of it later.

I only put 1 layer of mat on the topside to mainly seal it good, on the bottom I just put resin alone and on the sides I put resin alone.

all I did was this:

apply resin to wood
applied the 1 and only layer of mat

thanks

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you have enough clearance it might not hurt to give the edges one more coat of resin just to make sure they are well sealed. You will have to clean them with acetone or sand to remove the wax but two coats on the edge would be my preference. Just mix up a bit of resin and apply with a chip brush then toss when finished.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Like I said in one of your other posts.

Resin alone doesn't hold up very long, as the wood expands and contracts and/or flexes, the resin will crack letting water in. Glass is needed on all surfaces for it to last a long time.

silvertoy

Recruit

I would like to add to this question if possible. How nany layers of glass would be best to make it strong. For say a boat floor over plywood. And is there a specific type of plywood and does it need to dry for the resin to stick?

redfury

Commander

I would like to add to this question if possible. How many layers of glass would be best to make it strong. For say a boat floor over plywood. And is there a specific type of plywood and does it need to dry for the resin to stick?

No specific type of plywood needed, but a few things to consider when choosing it. You will want to get exterior grade at the minimum, as the glues are designed for the elements...that way the plywood won't delaminate on you. Secondly, if you choose to use pressure treated, you need to make sure it is dried thoroughly before using, and stay away from using stainless steel screws through it as the chemical used in it attacks stainless.

As far as fiberglassing over it for strength, two layers of CSM ( chopped strand mat ) or one layer of 1708 biax would give you plenty of strength.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

R F

(Qoute) and stay away from using stainless steel screws through it as the chemical used in it attacks stainless.

Stainless "is" what's recommended for use with PT ply, along with HDG.

redfury

Commander

Man, I must be tired...thanks for the correction...I should double check myself before I commit to posting...I'm not used to working at my job like I own the company! :redface:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

When I get tired I post things that make no sense, or not even readable.