fiberglass mat or sheet, which is stronger?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: fiberglass mat or sheet, which is stronger?

Mat is made up of random, fairly short chopped strands of glass held together with a binder.

Continuous strand fabrics are stronger for their weight.

But each has it's place in the laminate.

The sticky at the top of the page covers much of this in more detail.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

chopped strand matt is made to build up bulk and provide some stregnth.

however ...its main function is to be a "filler" between the substraight and the main woven product.

if you lay a woven product directly over a laminate....the bond is weak....the csm will fill the resin rich "weak" boundry layer between the two.

the woven is stronger over larger areas because of the long continious strands of the fabric.

but as said....the helpful hints at the top of this forum has a lot of info.

cheers
oops

erikgreen

Captain

Note that the above replies are completely correct when using poly resin or vinylester, but the rules change a bit when using epoxy.

In any case, know that the strength of a glass composite is directional... as you might expect, when fibers are pulled in such a direction that they stretch out lengthwise, they're the strongest.

So with woven fabrics you need to pay attention to which way the weave goes as you laminate, it'll be strongest in the direction of the fibers. This is why biaxial fabrics are popular, because the weave goes in directions other than 90 degrees, so it's easy to laminate in a way that is strong (but still possible to do wrong).

The strongest possible layup of a composite would be done by pre-calculating all the forces on the eventual part, developing a mold to shape the part, then laying a continual strand of fiber onto the mold in such a way as to oppose those forces most directly... basically rotate the mold plug in the air and use a computer to control winding the fiber onto the mold, then bake the whole thing to cure it. This is how carbon composite aircraft parts are usually made.

For home boat work, you usually rely on overkill... amateur builders and repairers could get by with either mat or cloth, but in case they make a mistake, it pays to build in lots of extra strength, so the boat remains safe and in one piece. So even where we could use mat and poly resin, some of us use cloth or biaxial and epoxy.

Many are the opinions here about which glass is better, or stronger, or more waterproof?(I don't understand that one either) but I think the question isn't which is stronger, it's which fits a given situation.

Erik

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Note that the above replies are completely correct when using poly resin or vinylester, but the rules change a bit when using epoxy.

Erik

oh you crazy epoxy guys :D :D :D

i been takin care of stuff.....so i havent been here much.....how ya doin erik? hows the new project looking?......have you got your plans yet?

been away far too long
cheers
oops

redfury

Commander

Slacker! :p

As far as which one is most water resistant, it's chopped glass since water cannot wick its way very far before finding a dead end, vs. a weave where the water can follow the fiber from one end to the other theoretically due to capillary action. Of course there are other factors to consider, but that's the general rule when it comes to the fiberglass itself.

erikgreen

Captain

Yeah, but it's rare for water to follow glass fibers... the resin usually adheres to the fibers strongly enough to prevent that.

For myself, I use mat where I really need to follow some crazy surface curves, or where I want to not have a weave pattern showing, or when I want to do something as cheaply as I can.

I use cloth pretty much everywhere else, since I mostly use epoxy.

One other thing, I use mat with poly, so when I don't want to paint something I use mat a lot... poly will resist sunlight, epoxy won't.

Erik