• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Removing fiberglass (grinding?)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing fiberglass (grinding?)

I've got about fifteen projects going on at one time in my boat, but my main goal is to make the boat very sturdy and capable to handle chop without rattling apart. So I ordered some AV rivnuts (wellnuts) to attach the deck to the bottom of the boat with. Yesterday I took the deck out of the boat and was exposed to a horrendous site the PO didn't tell me about. The bottom of the boat has tons of fiberglassing around all the welds on the ribs and all the way around the center console. Evidently some ribs broke and instead of just welding them, he welded them and then fiberglassed over them. Well, he did a poor welding job on the ribs and the console and I want to have it all professionally welded but I have to get all the fiberglass pulled up first. Some of it just pulled up in big sections, the rest I tried to grind off with my angle grinder, but I'm not sure that's the best method.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, should welding an aluminum center console to the ribs in the bottom of my boat be sufficient to hold it down?
    2003 G3 1860cc w/ 90hp Yamaha

Re: Removing fiberglass (grinding?)

Before you start grinding away try and use a stiff scraper blade and see what it will remove. Just get a good grip on the bottom of it all and go from there.
    Sanding or grinding on an aluminum hull will produce heat, and it will warp if not awfully careful.
    If there are big chunks coming off now then the chances of the rest being able to be ripped off ( excuse the pun ) are pretty good.
    The left over residue should be tackled with a random orbital sander with something like 80# paper. Again, be really careful with any sanding or grinding on that hull. It can turn to butter really fast.
    There aren't any chemicals that will remove dried gel or epoxy - so you're pretty much stuck with the abrasive way. Easy does it !!!
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance

Comment

Knotted wire cup brush and a 4 -1/2 in grinder for power will eat that fiberglass away..... it will even eat the aluminum if you are not careful.

I would suggest mounting the console to a seperate sheet of aluminum and mount that to cross bracing in the boat. That will distibute the laod and force on the console.

You might as well get a can of gluvit to really seal the new rivets and welds properly too.

Moving this to Restoration Section....... got any pictures?
      This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
      Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

As you can see, there are many that don't know how to prep for fiberglass. There is a prybar that is used for interior trim woodworking, "lowes,home depot", it is thin and may help pry more loose.

Comment

The thing I did not mention is to wear safety equipment..... goggles, mask and long sleeves. That fiberglass dust is nasty stuff...... if you have any young children.... keep them away.

Comment

Ok, sounds like great advice so far. I've got a 4.5 inch angle grinder and I have one of those tough wire brush attachments so I'll try and use that. I had been using one with the regular grinder blade but I think it was a bit much. I'm really bad about taking pictures and uploading them, but I will definitely try.

I got a really good deal on the boat, but it seems like its kind of catching up with me having to do some of this work. It's a welded boat and I noticed several of the ribs had cracked in the middle of the boat. The PO had taken angle aluminum and run it along both sides of the ribs and then run bolts through them to sturdy up the ribs. Then he laid fiberglass over it. I'll probably leave all that fiberglass because I think its structurally ok. My main concern is getting the fiberglass off the console base because I REALLy need it to be solid and I think welding is the way to go. I'll try and find a sheet of aluminum to attach it to first.

Comment

Hey have the welder remove the glass needing to be removed. If they weld they know how to glass. Also he may need to remove more than you did as fiberglass can catch on fire while welding.

Comment

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=235651
                FLORIDA GATORS
                TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by jburn25 View Post
                  ........My main concern is getting the fiberglass off the console base because I REALLy need it to be solid and I think welding is the way to go. I'll try and find a sheet of aluminum to attach it to first.
                  Welding is good.... here is a hint..... visit a construction company or a road maintenence company and see if you can scrounge al old road sign ..... even an old stop sign..... they are anodized aluminum. Just don't steal one

Comment

Dang, TD, I know you're right about the safety equipment stuff, just don't want to pay 60 bones for a respirator. I'll have to see what I can come up with regarding a street sign, don't need any trouble with the po-po right now in school so I definitely won't be stealing one lol. The welder I talked to didn't want to do any removing of the fiberglass. I guess he's busy. speaking of which...is 100 dollars an hour really high for aluminum welding? He's going to have to grind off all the old welds around the ribs and everything first so he quoted me for 30 hours to weld six cracked ribs. We haven't talked price for the console yet.

Comment

[QUOTE=jburn25;1955165]Dang, TD, I know you're right about the safety equipment stuff, just don't want to pay 60 bones for a respirator. QUOTE]

hi.....you can get resporators a little cheaper.....but !

(sorry to be blunt).....if you cant afford to get a resporator...you cant afford to fix your boat.....

those little dust masks wont work...at all...i dont care how careful you are...fiberglass dust NEVER EVER BREAKS DOWN IN YOUR LUNGS....EVER....it is there for life......

all of us that have done glass grinding before.....know....within 1 hr of grinding....you are standing in an inch of fine fine powder.....and the room looks like a clowd......really...there is that much dust.....

get a real resporator.......or cough up a lung....your choice !

......p.s.......i dont mean this post to sound harsh.....but what good is a boat if your dead from lung desease?
                      The Hull Extension Thread
                      great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
                      November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Originally posted by jburn25 View Post
                        Dang, TD, I know you're right about the safety equipment stuff, just don't want to pay 60 bones for a respirator. I'll have to see what I can come up with regarding a street sign, don't need any trouble with the po-po right now in school so I definitely won't be stealing one lol. The welder I talked to didn't want to do any removing of the fiberglass. I guess he's busy. speaking of which...is 100 dollars an hour really high for aluminum welding? He's going to have to grind off all the old welds around the ribs and everything first so he quoted me for 30 hours to weld six cracked ribs. We haven't talked price for the console yet.
                        $3000 in welding charges OMG!

Okay post pictures and stay away from that welder.

Comment

whoops! I mis-typed that part about how many hours he quoted me for. He quoted me for 3 hours, not 30 haha. So he said 300 bucks total to grind and weld six cracked ribs.

oops: Thanks for the response. I think you're totally correct. In fact, I have already made plans to go buy a respirator today. Didn't mean to make it sound like I wasn't going to, just that I was reluctant to add to the expenses of repair lol.

Found some at harbour freight for around 30 bones, think they'll do?

Comment

Here's some pictures of the fiberglass on the ribs of the boat and around the bottom of the console. On the rib in front of the console you may be able to see the pieces of angle aluminum that are running along each side.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	f819e707e5a79545c9bf0318047e71b3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	22416

Name:	1b7809a9792b155db32db419235ba4c2.jpg
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	22417

Name:	876b437c428ee7efc18330c4b8b53cff.jpg
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	22418

Comment

ok, those were a tad bit too small to use for anything so here's some enlarged versions.

Name:	1328bf6eb2333ec5c145703ebea170d2.jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	22419

Name:	81122f6ef954dd5812a0596cf960820d.jpg
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	22420

Name:	f70192ce5882ef0a83fb11a8731add7c.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	22421

You can see in the bottom of one of the pictures where the welds have cracked where the ribs meet at the bottom and side of the boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X