Vertical Handrail stanchion project on 36' Trojan

jonnyspeed

Cadet
One of this years projects on our 1986 36' Trojan Tri cabin will be the handrail vertical stanchions. They have become pretty loose. Some of the screws are just spinning and not tightening. The trojan uses SS vertical stanchions that are connected together with coated cables. Each stanchion has 3 screws. I'm not sure how many total there are off hand, but they run around the perimeter of a 36x14 boat so... I'm thinking we may have some soft spots in there. I haven't been able to really get a good look at what I'm in for yet, but I'm thinking there may be a need to clean out, fill, and re-drill mounting holes.

Does anyone have any magic method that I haven't thought of? It needs done, but I dred the thought of doing all of them.

Thanks in advance.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Vertical Handrail stanchion project on 36' Trojan

The best solution would be to through bolt them. In other words, bolts with washers and nuts on the other side. But not knowing the construction of your boat, I have no idea if you can get to the other side to attach a nut.

Sooooo......

If the existing screw design held up for the last 22 years, the proper way to reattach the stanchions is to remove a stanchion, drill out the hole a little larger, fill with epoxy (you may have to force a small wad of paper down the hole to plug the outlet if it drills through) and fill the hole with epoxy. After the epoxy has set, then re-drill a pilot hole for the screw in the epoxy and re-attach the stanchions with the original screws. It should hold as tight as when it was new. A dab of sealer on the screw like boatlife or 3m 4200 wouldn't hurt either.

jonnyspeed

Cadet

The best solution would be to through bolt them. In other words, bolts with washers and nuts on the other side. But not knowing the construction of your boat, I have no idea if you can get to the other side to attach a nut.

Sooooo......

If the existing screw design held up for the last 22 years, the proper way to reattach the stanchions is to remove a stanchion, drill out the hole a little larger, fill with epoxy (you may have to force a small wad of paper down the hole to plug the outlet if it drills through) and fill the hole with epoxy. After the epoxy has set, then re-drill a pilot hole for the screw in the epoxy and re-attach the stanchions with the original screws. It should hold as tight as when it was new. A dab of sealer on the screw like boatlife or 3m 4200 wouldn't hurt either.

I agree... the first thing I checked was if I could through bolt them. That isn't possible unfortunately. Just can't get to them.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I was thinking of using Marine Tex products to fill the holes. Would you recommend the penetrating epoxy? I have a spare tube of 4200 that I'll dip the screws in.

This is going to be interesting because the epoxy requires the temp to remain over 55 degrees for 24 hours to cure. That means the boat will be in the water when this project happens. Watch me drop the screws in the water :eek:

It's -2F :eek: here right now so it will be a while before I actually update this thread. :D But feel free to offer up any other ideas.

D

DJ

I have set screws into Marine Tex or Epoxy BEFORE it cured (no drilling) and when it does cure, they (screws) are REALLY in there.;)

jonnyspeed

Cadet

I have set screws into Marine Tex or Epoxy BEFORE it cured (no drilling) and when it does cure, they (screws) are REALLY in there.;)

I like that idea. That would eliminate a step or two.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

use next size up screw. and seal it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If you have to do this with the boat in the water, get a piece of rigid styrofoam insulation, and when a screw is taken out, press it into the foam. That way, there is less chance of a screw rolling overboard, and if the foam ends up in the water, it will float saving the screws from Davey Jones locker.