fiber glass boat paint job????

sampler

Seaman
just got my first boat ever and its fiber glass and would like to repaint the boat silver top side and bottom midnight blue. But would like to know what i need to do to get for prework on boat and also what kind of paint do i use on the fiberglass boat and clear coat finish?/? thanks you to respones will really help me get started

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: fiber glass boat paint job????

You need a sound, clean and smooth surface to paint. Make sure any old paint is in good condition. Sand all rough surfaces to 400 grit wet paper. Fill and sand all gouges and holes. Remove or mask all hardware.

Use a one or two part polyurethane marine paint. if the boat is kept on a trailer, you may use topside poly paint. If kept in the water you need a two part poly paint suitable for below waterline. You also may need to overcoat the midnight blue paint with some antifouling paint to keep the marine growth under control.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

warning, silver will blind you. as pure white does also.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I'm doing my boat next month. The folks over a yachpaints.com (Interlux) gave me some great advice.

There are several factors that we don't know.
1. Is the boat going to be berthed or trailered.
2. If trailered does the trailer have bunks or rollers.
3. If trailered is there any time when the boat will not be removed from water daily.

Here's why the question about bunks, most two part paints are not guaranteed to be water proof after 72 hours of submersion. After that, moisture can be expected to cause blistering with fiberglass boats.

If the boat is put on a trailer with bunks, the bunks will be wet and it is very similar to leaving it in the water until they dry out. If you go with a anti-fouling product the bunks will rub it off.

Interulx does make a high performance product that is designed for boats with bunks but is is not antifouling and only comes in white. If your boat is in and out of the water that much, you can easily power wash it.

This is what I will be using for the bottom of my 18' Tinny.

As a side note; If you use a dark color, remember to take into account that dark colors are actually more translucent and will require more coats to achieve the level of color depth that you are probably expecting.