Which Clear Coat is Best???

eelaforge

Cadet
I have a 1988 Glasstream fiberglass Bass Boat that has faded and would like to clear coat. I only need to do the deck areas, the hull is still perfect. Does anyone know what kind of clear coat I need to use (laquer, enamel, etc.) that will last? I have an automotive painter who can apply it and I have prepped everything including removing the carpet and scraping off all that damned adhesive. Any help?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Which Clear Coat is Best???

Ayuh,....

What are you Clearcoating,..??

Gelcoat is colorsanded,+ polished/ waxed.....

Clearcoat goes over a Basecoat....

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

who's tommy? And how does he know?

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

also, what type of paint are you clearing. make sure its compatible

are you going to be spraying or roll and tip?

stripers9

Recruit

autobodystore.com forums are a great source for any kind of paint work questions. Some spray bombs are even decent, like Jammin Clear for instance if you are doing a small area. I prefer Dupont products for overall BC/CC projects. Cheap clears typically have more yellow in them. You get what you pay for with clears.

Last edited:

mphy98

Lieutenant

if you are going to keep it, and you want the best available use sikens. good enough for Mercedes and BMW's, good enough for a boat. make sure the painter puts a flex agent in the clear. we use it at our bodyshop and it is clearly the best. use a face mask when applying, respirator would be best. and it ain't cheap. good but not cheap.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,....

What are you Clearcoating,..??

Gelcoat is colorsanded,+ polished/ waxed.....

Clearcoat goes over a Basecoat....

Bond-o always has the right questions.

hanahawaiian

Seaman Apprentice

Por 15 have new Clear Coat it hard like rock but have to leave cure for 3 to 4 days to get solid hard.. it UV protect and wont yellow and faded..

I used PPG Global Clearcoat and now im think abotu Por 15 clear coat

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

BEFORE you clearcoat..... use the search on this forum and read up on what mark42 did to restore the finish on his older MFG.

Bond-o summed it up.

To do the "proper" prep to clearcoat you should try what Mark did on his boat. If it does not work ....... it is a surefire way to be paint ready.