Wellcraft Excel 1992 18sx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: Wellcraft Excel 1992 18sx

Actually just had another thought. The longevity of the stained plywood used for the upholstery is longer than the vinyl. The vinyl will need replacement long before the plywood has rotted. Plus if you already stained the plywood, the epoxy will not soak in as well. If I were to do it again, I would do it the same way as I did.

Have a great day,

Rob.

jonesg

Admiral

the foam in all the compartments was saturated with standing water in bottom of the compartment.

It looks like the fwd foam compartments have limber holes to drain the foam, are they clogged shut ?

On that spider cracking in the corner joint, if you can get underneath the area a glass/resin patch will reinforce it for the future, then do the exterior surface.

Note to self ;
( if you decide to re-do a boat, at least start with a smart looking rig.)

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

It looks like the fwd foam compartments have limber holes to drain the foam, are they clogged shut ?

Only the anchor compartment had a weeping hole into the ski locker area.
None of the foam compartment had limber or weeping holes.. (is there a difference) I will definetly be adding some during the rebuild. I also noticed that the stringers had no way to drain water from the outer areas under deck areas and only water in the middle ski locker would make it to the bilge.
i am going to add weeping holes in the stringers so that water can get to the bilge from anywhere it may need to.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hello,

Been away from the computer for awhile. I will try and check in more often than I have been lately.

mannnnnnnn......where ya been ????? i was getting ready to go down there and look for ya ! :D were missing ya here !....lots has happened round the forums lately......most great.....some really sad :(

hope ya had a great christmas rob

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

If your stringers are shot, which it looks like they are, and you do not have a pattern, I can post the stringer dimensions that I used if you like. Still have them written down somewhere.

That would be great! please do so!

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Ok after three days off, i got a lot of demo done! pretty much ready to start grind out the left over edges.. can't wait...lol

The Bow:
PB060011.jpg

PB070018.jpg

The Stern:
PB070015.jpg

The tools (just thought it was a cool pic)
PB070014.jpg

So I am pretty certain that the best way to do the stringers is to get the engine out of the way.. This is going to be a challenge since my garage ceiling is about 8 foot on the nose.. has anyone ever did a stringer job leaving the engine in? The transom seems solid based on my inspection holes but i can get one drilled at the bottom middle where rot would begin.. soo..
yeah i think the engine is going to have to come out...

Ok the girlfriend says its time to relax so...

Happy New Year!!

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Go rent a engine hoist from a rental shop for around 20 bucks a day and pull the motor, you can drop the transom down a bit by taking the tires off of the trailer, this should be plenty of room. Your boat is not that high so you should be able to just lift it up and out, then set it on a stand of some sort. I pulled the V6 out of my 20 foot Wellcraft Excel this way and it worked like a charm. Also, if you are planning on keeping this boat for any period of time I would take the time while the motor is out and replace all seals including the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket as they are much easier to change while the motor is out. It may cost you a few extra bucks but you will be happy when you have no oil leaks in the future. Also I would paint the motor with motor paint and also paint the bilge area with bilge paint. This makes it so much nicer to work on your boat when you can easily spot leaks and also not get all greasy working on the boat.

Robj

Lieutenant

OK here are the stringer dimensions that I measured. These measurements are fron the top of the floor (deck) to the hull, on the long side of the stringer. I cut my stringer at an angle to better fit the hull. I also reduced the dimensions by 1/2 inch for the deck, and an additional 1/4 inch to allow for the bedding the stringer and glass over the top. All measurements were from the transom.

From 0 to 96 inches 5.25 inches
102'' 5''
108'' 4.75
114'' 4.5
120'' 4.25
126'' 3.5''
132'' 2.5''
138'' 1.5''
144'' 0.5''

The angle was 19 degrees upto 120 inches, afterwards it was 38 Not sure about the very front. These measurements are based on my notes from over a year ago. I would verify them before I started cutting your stringers. I used two pieces of 5/8 inch ply laminated, if I were to do it again I would use two pieces of 1/2 inch ply, laminated.

Good luck and have a great day,

Rob.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

paint the bilge area with bilge paint. This makes it so much nicer to work on your boat when you can easily spot leaks and also not get all greasy working on the boat.

So the bilge and ski locker area and the storage compartments in the bow have about an 1/8 inch thick white substance on them. I assumed this was gelcoat.. In the bow it was applied straight to the hull in some areas and then over glassed wood in other areas.

I definelty want to put somthing back in those areas..so whats the best idea?

What is the difference between bilge paint and gelcoat and the other similar products?

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I think the main difference with Bilge paint is that it is more tolerant of gas and oil spills and exposure. It also went on very think in my bilge and it has been bullet proof for 2 years now, still looks like the day I brushed it on.

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone know around how much this volvo penta weighs?
i found two stands.. one is rated for 750 pounds and the other 1000 pounds.
obviously the first is cheaper.. thanks!!

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

SO i am still trying to figure out the logistics of getting the engine out. i covered it with plastic and started grinding the bow last night..

everything you read on here about how fun grinding is you dont really believe it until you are in the war zone yourself.. lol.. The basement and garage smell like fiberglass from the grinding.. oh well what can you do.. lol..

Prepared for battle:
PB150003a.jpg

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

a small block chevy weighs about 650 pounds with the exhaust manifolds in place, About 500 without them. If you are just talking the stand, the light duty one should work just fine for you 4 banger which is likely 200 pounds lighter or more.

The heavier one MAY have bigger wheels and be easier to move around though

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

The heavier one MAY have bigger wheels and be easier to move around though

Thanks for the response.. i will check the wheels out when i go.. i didnt even think of that.. it would be worth the extra money...

Shelbyb117

Cadet

try to stay away from "T" style engine stands,,they tip over real easily
an "H" style with shorter frt arms is lots more stable

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

try to stay away from "T" style engine stands,,they tip over real easily
an "H" style with shorter frt arms is lots more stable

i was looking at this:
32916.gif

not sure i know what an H style is compared to a T style. are you talking about the base shape?

Shelbyb117

Cadet

yep that will do you fine,,and yes i was talking about the base legs 4 points are much more stable then 3
that'l hold about any thing your ever likely to need it to hold

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Ok so its been a while.. and man it sucks not getting to work on the boat..
My mechanic ( my uncle ) wanted to do all the tuning up now since his busy time of year is spring.. so we havnt pulled the engine yet. Its hard to get him over since he is getting older and works his own job.. I have bought the engine stand and he is getting a cherry picker...but again.. when.. we have to wait and see...he is doing me a favor so i need to be considerate of his time.. now that i am done venting.. what have i been up to?

the hull has been grinded and is ready to do the stringer.
PC190006.jpg

I have taken core samples of the motor mounts:
PC200010.jpg

And Out Came:
PC200009.jpg

With my down time i wanted to take a first run at buffing her.. can you pick the before and after side? I know this will need to be done again but like i said i just want to work on the boat whatever that may be:
PC190005.jpg

I am putting together a list to order my resin and glass. thanks Robj for all your help!

I have read through the manual for the engine and outdrive to get the procedure for engine removal. but any words of advice would be great!
thanks!

jonesg

Admiral

snag a used cherry picker off craigslist , got mine for $125.

Robj

Lieutenant

Pulling the engine is easy. First thing is to remove the outdrive. Loosen the bellows, remove the shift linkage for the drive, remove the pins for the tilt and trim cylinders, let the skeg of the drive rest on a block of wood, in the down position. On the transom shield you will see the two pins, they are held in place with two allen screws, remove the screws. Now you will need a slide hammer, with a 1/4 inch bolt. Thread the bolt into the hinge pin, and slide hammer the pin out. You should now be able to slide the drive back and remove from teh boat. Once you have removed the drive, remove the 6 (I think) bolts that secure the ring/bell housing to the transom shield. Once that is removed, the rest of the work can be done from inside the boat. You will be removing the engine with the bellhousing intact.

Edit
Forgot one part, after you removed the bellows you also need to remove the steering helmet. Remove the two allen bolts, and then thread 2 - 1/4 inch NC bolts into the other two holes and this will pull that piece out and you can push the helmet back.

Good luck and have a great day,

Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.