1978 Starcraft aluminum vee-hull, Evinrude 48 Special, TeeNee super duty trailer

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Needed a boat for swamp use. The wife is a professional photographer and she has decided we need pics of swamp flora and fauna. We have a 68 Correct Craft Separator and two pocket cruisers so swamp visiting was out with our current inventory.

Got this old thing for almost nothing. It had hideous paint (or lack of paint), no interior (new floor but it's too thin so it's a lot like a dojo floor - nice and springy), a good hull and at least one spot of rot on every panel of wood that I have inspected so far.

Got the engine running but still need to strip and clean the carbs, scraped all the paint from the hullsides and said the heck with the bottom, hung the boat under my carport (broke a 2"x10" lol) and pulled the trailer. Going to paint the hull, paint the trailer, brace the rotted dash and then slowly go from there.

This is not a resto thread - just a "fix what's bad messed up and use it" thread. Being a work boat it doesn't have to be perfect (just functional) but I hate to ride around in a hideous craft.

Oh yeah - the trailer is easily five times as heavy as is needed for this application so if anyone wants to trade a light or medium duty 16' trailer for a good 16' super duty, let me know - I'll be all for it. New paint on the trailer in the next couple of days so if interested you get to choose the color :D

PC080374.jpg

PC080375.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1978 Starcraft aluminum vee-hull, Evinrude 48 Special, TeeNee super duty trailer

nice combo, hull and the 48.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1978 Starcraft aluminum vee-hull, Evinrude 48 Special, TeeNee super duty trailer

nice combo, hull and the 48.

Thanks mate. We were looking for a high ride (skinny water in the swamps), stability, comfort in most weather, durability, light weight and economy. So far, so good. Pics of scraped down and taped up boat tomorrow.

Is there a forum area where people on here sell used boat stuff? We could use a couple plain jane swivel seats. We were thinking a third row van seat for the rear but after seeing your rig - I'm really digging the wood bench. You got any more pics of that setup and did you build it?

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Four days of scraping and an hour taping.
IMGP4134.jpg

The 2"x8" we split when hoisting it - can you say OH SH1T???:D
IMGP4135.jpg

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Four days of scraping and an hour of taping.
IMGP4134.jpg

The 2"x8" we split while hoisting it. :D OOPS!!!!! Repair needed.
IMGP4135.jpg

tashasdaddy

looking good, you can just jack up the middle of that beam, add 1/2 inch ply to both sides, screwed well, and that is all the repair really needed. run the ply the full length of the beam.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looking good, you can just jack up the middle of that beam, add 1/2 inch ply to both sides, screwed well, and that is all the repair really needed. run the ply the full length of the beam.

I'll jack it from the outside with a full length 2"x10", pull and replace the beam. My stepdad bought wood by the tractor trailer load when he was alive so I have tons of lumber in our old horse barn.

Fresh rustoleum marine topside paint. :)
IMGP4138.jpg

IMGP4141.jpg

IMGP4142.jpg

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trailer with rustoleum rusty metal primer. I forgot to get a finished pic as I was dead beat.
IMGP4140.jpg

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just noticed I am a Seaman Apprentice. I was one of those twenty plus years ago for a while. :D

North Beach

Commander

Any idea what the total weight is as she hangs? We have the 21' 66 with the i/o and my book says 1700 lbs. I think you've sold me on hanging it to paint the bottom and the old cox trailer! I spoke to the folks out at starcraft the other day and they told me they hung them by the eyes all the time.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any idea what the total weight is as she hangs? We have the 21' 66 with the i/o and my book says 1700 lbs. I think you've sold me on hanging it to paint the bottom and the old cox trailer! I spoke to the folks out at starcraft the other day and they told me they hung them by the eyes all the time.

I honestly have no idea but I would guess about 800-1000 by the wag method. The eyes should hold - that's part of what they are there for. The front eye will be no problem at all (water is a non-issue as it's all aluminum and quite thick at that) but the rears you would want to look at the wood around them and make sure it's solid before trying to hoist her.

I hung her with ski rope if that says anything. I would get some serious rope to hang a 21 though. I've hung dozens of boats to do work on them over the years - if the eyes are solid they should hold fine.

North Beach

Commander

Yeah the transom is good. Anyhow, since I've seen this post, I can quit fretting on how I'm gonna get it off the trailer. We'll probably use steel cables.Thanks.

reelfishin

Captain

I have a similar 16' close bow starcraft. The weight on those hulls is more like 550 or so plus the motor. When I first got mine it was sitting on three plastic buckets on a stone driveway. A buddy and me just lifted it onto a trailer.
Those older hulls were strong and light. If you got one that hasn't been eaten away with saltwater, it will be a great boat. That 48 is a good choice. I had a 50 on mine and it did fine, I upgraded to a 70hp and it flies. More motor than I'd even need.

tashasdaddy

Getting Boat Off Trailer

you don't need stands.

1/you can lower the tongue to the ground. i would get some 6x6 or old railroad crossties cut the +- 12 inches, now block up the transom. 2/

Raise the tongue of the trailer the back of trailer will drop away from trailer. this is the tricky part. between the cross braces of the trailer block the keel lower trailer, boat will be suspended on the blocks.

3/ pull forward, lift bow again, and reblock i a different place. repeat until trailer is out from under the boat.

4/ to reload, just reverse the procedure.

if you were just working on the bunks, or painting the bottom. you could just do the first 2 steps.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Getting Boat Off Trailer

you don't need stands.

1/you can lower the tongue to the ground. i would get some 6x6 or old railroad crossties cut the +- 12 inches, now block up the transom. 2/

Raise the tongue of the trailer the back of trailer will drop away from trailer. this is the tricky part. between the cross braces of the trailer block the keel lower trailer, boat will be suspended on the blocks.

3/ pull forward, lift bow again, and reblock i a different place. repeat until trailer is out from under the boat.

4/ to reload, just reverse the procedure.

if you were just working on the bunks, or painting the bottom. you could just do the first 2 steps.

This is so simple that you would think everyone would just know. Good job helping out - I realize everyday that not everyone knows.

Some seats. Been searching everyday since we go this craft. You will never buy where they came from or what they set us back. LMAO

IMGP4147.jpg

WalMart. 20 clams on clearance. The pic and description was tan,red and green. We got gray, white and blue!!!!! They match the boat!!!! Woohoo!! Some swivels for 6 bones and 11" stanchions for 9 bones and we may be able to oufit this grand old lady with seating for under 100 dollars. Poking around in the local junk yards for a third row vinyl seat as we speak. That will complete the furniture in this old girl.........

D

DJ

Good job!

Make SURE those seat stands are bolted down securely with back up plates.

You do not want the seat going over while underway!:eek:

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Re: Boat weight - An 18' 91 Starcraft stripped weighs just about 100lbs. My brother and I flipped mine this morning. I can pick it up from the transom with one hand. He took the bow and we just rolled it over.

Re: Seats - Great find!

Re: Trailer, just wondering why you painted a galvanized trailer. We cherrish them here in California. Now you have to maintain it.

Re: Nikon - D200, D300 and just got a new D30 for Christmas. I was hoping for Nikor lenses but I'll take the D30. You've got good taste in boats and camera's, I l like that. Unless that's you wifes, in which case you have good taste in women which beats both camera's and boat's.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good taste in women. Oops. :D

It's back on the trailer after some much needed wetsanding. Wax and buff to follow.

IMGP4169.jpg

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Furniture. Every boat needs some lol.

IMGP4171.jpg

The back seat was less than 50 clams so we furnished her for less than a bill.

Some serious cleaning is in order.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Nice work. Did you paint the hull with a spray gun, or use the roll-n-tip method with roller and brush. Very nice finish. Love the old bench seat...used to have one like that in the shop. My choc lab loved it...thought I was going to have to fight him for it when I decided to haul it off. Should be a nice photo safari rig.