marine grad vs CCA kiln dried pressure treated

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstites

Cadet
I've been looking online for a place to get some marine grade plywood. I came across Homestead Hardwoods. Has anyone ever used them before? Anyway, I am replacing the transom and decking in my bass boat and was wondering if I should use the marine grade untreated or the cca treated stuff. I probably already know the answer but just cant take my own thoughts for an answer. I'll probably paint which ever i get with epoxy before i do anything with them anyway. Let me know what you guys think. thanks

brad

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: marine grad vs CCA kiln dried pressure treated

If your budget is a real issue go with the kiln dried lumber. It will accept resin if completely dry ( 20% or less ). The marine grade ( Okume ) or similiar is exceptional lumber but it is costly. And no - I've never used that company but from the looks of their website they appear to be a very strong organization. I don't think I'd hesitate one second ordering from them.

maxum247

Lieutenant

If the budget's strong go with marine grade plywood with two coats of epoxy resin on the underside and all edges and a layer of 6 oz. fiberglass cloth on the deck side with a second coat of epoxy resin. Marine grade is void free and use's higher quality inner layers to build the thickness of plywood.
If the budget won't allow marine grade plywood go with the best exterior grade plywood you can find.
Try to find exterior grade plywood with as little voids as possible along the edges of the plywood. Hope this helps! max!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi....welcome to i boats.....

i think you will find opinions vary greatly here in reguards to plywood.....

the traditionlaists like marine grade....it is a really good plywood with water proof glue....more plys...and less or no voids.....but that doesnt mean it cant rot.

pressure treated ply....(i dont know if kiln dryed means dry to you) needs to be dryed for a month under good conditions before it can take resin....it also tends to warp when drying......it has voids between the plys. obviously it has waterproof glue.

standard exterior grade plywood is good espically if you are woking with a lower budget.....it has waterproof glue....it has a few voids in it...but over all a good boat building wood.

it all depends on your budget and time line.
once the wood (any of the grades) is covered in glass....the various grades of wood can and will last for over 20 years with minimal care.

so the choice is yours !

cheers
oops

salty87

Commander

call a local lumber yard. most won't stock it, no big box places will carry it. any lumber yard can get just about any wood, no big deal.

lots of people use pressure treated or exterior grade. unless you try to glass wet wood, i doubt it matters that much. a shoddy glass job on marine ply isn't any better than a good glassing job on dried regular ply....imo

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

fasteners do not like treated wood, there is a chemical reaction, and eats metal.

BillP

Captain

i keep forgetting to mention that....:confused: :confused: :confused:

CCA is no problem with coated, galv or ss fasteners. ACQ is speced for SS or coated fasteners.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the grade of exterior, marine or if cca pt. The voids found today in cheap ply are miniscule (in size and numbers) in comparision to those 10-15 yrs ago. Not even close. 30yrs ago you would commonly find several 1/2" wide by 3" voids in on sheet of AB exterior ply. Today you find one or two the size of a quarter...maybe.

Besides, all of them will last 30+ yrs if glassed properly and kept dry. Most production boats (high $ brands & budget brands) use ac exterior ply in their construction and it rots 99.99% of the time only where water gets in. They aren't rotting where voids are. Many, many production boats use cca pt and they show no problems in 20+ yrs. Take your pick...but pt never rots, even if wet...and the others will rot if wet.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Please don't resurrect old dead threads. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.