fiberglass crestliner stringers

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer
So on removal of the floor of my boat, It does not seem to have stringers like most other boats have. It looks like it has half round tubes that run the length of the boat. In order to support the floor there are pieces of plywood wood that go width wise. Has anybody seen a boat like this?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: fiberglass crestliner stringers

post pics please....lets see what it looks like

jonesg

Admiral

My chrysler has a half pipe down the keel but stringers on either side of the tank compartment, it looks like they layed it up on pvc pipe then glass it in place afterward, because there is no pipe inside the glasswork.

I wish they had installed half pipes under the foam.:redface:

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

yeah thats exactly how mine is, it looks like PVC pipe cut in half then glassed over, but there is no pipe inside the glass.
There are some very short stringers in the back compartment where the fuel tank used to be.

I'll try and get some pictures up in a couple weeks, for now heres a small drawing I made.

Attachments

• boat underfloor.jpg
    boat underfloor.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner

cant say off hand.....i dont think its stock......if its not stock.....that means someone has been in there........if they have....they may have done a good job.....thet means :)....or.....they may have done a bad job....:mad:

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

well the floor was all stock when I pulled it up, and the foam was definatly original so I don't think anyone has been in there. I'll get some pictures up soon

oops!

Supreme Mariner

have you done a core sample?

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Well all the foam was soaked so it had rotted the wooden floor support so I had repaired them. I did the repair work a year and a half ago. Planning to pick up the floor again and see how its holding up. Floor is still bare plywood, haven't gotten around to covering it with anything yet.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

ok heres a long awaited photo. I was wrong about the back ones being wood. there is just a center wood piece in the back on top of the tube stringer to support the wood in the blige area.
If I remember correctly the tubes run the full length of the hull, haven't pulled up the floor again yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3694.jpg
    IMG_3694.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes they used a mold and made half round stringers to put in place, but it was also common to use the cardboard tubes the glass is wrapped around and cut it in half, then glass over it.

Easy, cheap and no rot.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

yeah no rot is good, they seem to be deteriorationg though. You can see the one on the far left has a hole in it. I'm thinking of covering them with either 1708 or a few layers of mat to beef them back up again.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

ok heres a better picture of the full length. Some of the tubes are solid as a rock, others seem like the factory got cheap on the resin in the first place. What would be the best repair method? Also how should I go about tabbing the floor supports back in? I've cut new ones already.

Attachments

• IMG_3713.jpg
    IMG_3713.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3719.jpg
    IMG_3719.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The bad spots you found can be fixed by grinding down the surface a little and then adding a some glass over the top. Don't worry too much about it because it held up this long with no apparent issues.

The wood should be covered completely with glass for it hold up long term and just use about the same amount of glass as was used in the first place to tab them in place.