Help needed for Spar varnish disaster!

wmgraphics

Seaman Apprentice
Has anyone used man o war spar varnish before. I was told that it was great stuff to clear coat a boat with. Well i applied it to me boat (gloss paint- dark grey strip on white) and the white sections now have a yellow tint to it and even worse looking where it sprayed out a bit heavy. It looks really bad, so I called the tech help and some girl answered. It seemed as though she had no clue but she said it had to cure for 24 hours and then it would turn clear. Did she lie to me cause she really didn't seem very sure of herself. Anyone.... help I am freaking out. :eek:

anyone have a time machine I can borrow?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help needed for Spar varnish disaster!

Almost all clears have some color and if they don't at first, they do after a while, most get a yellow tint to them after prolonged UV exposure.

Using clear over dark colors helps give it depth and the dark color hides the yellowing, but when using clear over white the yellowing can become quite noticeable.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..

Is this a Fiberglass boat,..??

I've Never heard of shooting Varnish over a glass boat....

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

First off exterior grade spar varnish is not clear - !!!
The only clear finish you will find will be for interior wood. The Minwax products look like milk, but dry clear.
There is no spar varnish that will do anything to protect or preserve a finish on a fiberglass boat. An automotive product or clear Awlgrip should of been your choice of material there.
Your choice now is to remove all of your varnish work and either sand and buff or sand and repaint.
All good varnishes will contain amounts of UV stabilizers to maintain its shine and increase it durability ( over wood ). The stabilizers act as a 'shield' against the - you got it - UltraViolet rays of Mr. Sun. Doesn't do anything to help your fiberglass or painted finish - zero !!