Sanding gelcoat: Dust mask or Respirator or what??

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm sanding the gelcoat on a piece of my boat, and I was just wondering if the dust is harmful to breathe (im sure it's not exactly good for you :)). What kind of mouth/nasal protection do you guys suggest for this type of work?

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: Sanding gelcoat: Dust mask or Respirator or what??

I'm sanding the gelcoat on a piece of my boat, and I was just wondering if the dust is harmful to breathe (im sure it's not exactly good for you :)). What kind of mouth/nasal protection do you guys suggest for this type of work?

respirator all the way !!! dust mask not safe the particles are to small and dont get caught by a dusk mask !! John

maxum247

Lieutenant

Respirator with the proper cartridges and filters for dust!

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kinda figured that, any suggestions on a good brand or certain type, don't really know much about them, will probably just pick up one from wally world. Thanks for the help.:)

jcsercsa

Captain

Kinda figured that, any suggestions on a good brand or certain type, don't really know much about them, will probably just pick up one from wally world. Thanks for the help.:)

I got oe from home depot for 23 , make sure you get the daul filer one !! someone said wally has them also !! john

maxum247

Lieutenant

Respirator's come in small, medium and large sizes so the first step is to find the size that fits snug on your face and is comforatable to wear. Clean shaven or you won't get a good seal from the respirator to your face. Buy a respirator with cartridges and filters rated for fine dust particles.

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool, thanks for the advice guys. I'll go check em out tomorrow.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the safety stickey at the top of the forum has a pic