Going to try Rustoleum to paint entire Boat

Wcsweb

Seaman
After seeing the prices of some other paints I have decided to give Rustoleum a shoot. I can get gloss white for $25 a gallon.

I'm going to spray it on with a spray gun.

I have two questions for you guys.

#1 Can I change the color of gloss white? I want like an oyster shell, something so it doesnt look like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

#2 Do I need to thin the paint? If so what to use to thin it, and how much should I use. I have read to cut it 50/50 with Mineral Spirits? Is this a must do?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Going to try Rustoleum to paint entire Boat

Ayuh,...

#1,.. Sure,... You can mix in whatever color you want to dull the white...
Just be sure to use a compatable Rustolium paint...

#2,.. While Mineral Spirits is great for Cleaning up wet Rustolium,...
Using a faster flashing thinner for spraying will work much better,... ei; less Runs...

Btw,... 50/50 is Way too much,... Thin it Only enough to get a Good Spray Pattern from your gun...

fishrdan

Admiral

To thin it use paint thinner (or mineral spirits), same for clean up. I used a cheap ($15) Harbor Freight gravity feed gun with good success, think I thinned the Rustoleum about 10%. If you thin it 50% it's going to be like water, so don't do that, just enough to make the paint spray correctly.

I haven't had it it tinted before, check with the place you're buying the paint, I don't see why it couldn't be tinted though...

Wcsweb

Seaman

Do I really need to use a thinner? Or can I get by with using it right out of the can? Thank You for your help..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

fishrdan

Admiral

You'll need to thin it for spraying, it's too thick out of the can and won't atomize properly unless thinned.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you researched the roll and tip method. I was under impression that its the preferred way to paint a boat now. Plus a lot less masking and detail work than spraying.

Wcsweb

Seaman

No roll and tip for me if I can spray.

I have another question.

When I prep the boat should I use 220 sand paper just dull it up and then wipe down with acetone?

Once I sand it down with 220 do I need to prime the entire boat or can I just get to painting?

Once I get the first coat on what grit sand paper should I use to wet sand it.

Then after the second coat what grit sand paper should I use to wet sand it?

Thank you for everybody's feedback...

jdp8488

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i am interested in the same thing wcsweb just asked, but also, is it necassary or beneficial to spray on a gel coat after you paint it? and im planning to spray on brightside. if its not necassary then that will be great.

fishrdan

Admiral

What type of hull are you working on, fiberglass, aluminum? When I first read your post I though it was an aluminum fishing boat.

With the amount of work you are talking about, (wet sanding between coats) I would use a better paint. It's a small price to pay considering the amount of work you are talking about putting into the finish.

jdp, you would either paint OR gelcoat, not both. Read oops! 's "hull extension" thread and you can see what he did to gelcoat his boat,,, lots of work

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

Rustolium is just an enamal....
If you can shoot the 2nd coat within the time listed on the can,.. No sanding is needed between coats..
And,...
Rustolium Isn't color sanded after the last coat...

jdp, you would either paint OR gelcoat, not both.

Ayuh,... Exactly....

Wcsweb

Seaman

What type of hull are you working on, fiberglass, aluminum? When I first read your post I though it was an aluminum fishing boat.

With the amount of work you are talking about, (wet sanding between coats) I would use a better paint. It's a small price to pay considering the amount of work you are talking about putting into the finish.

jdp, you would either paint OR gelcoat, not both. Read oops! 's "hull extension" thread and you can see what he did to gelcoat his boat,,, lots of work

Fiberglass is the type of hull. Do I need to prime the entire boat first?

Bondo

Staff member

Do I need to prime the entire boat first?

Ayuh,....

It's Not absolutely Necessary,..
But,...
It gives a good base for the top coat to stick to,+ a uniform color to hide, so there'll be no shadows, from differing colors...

Wcsweb

Seaman

I was doing some test spraying today and I can seem to get rid of the orange peel. I have the try adjusting the gun to spray light but still getting orange peel. I also added about a 1/2 onze of acetone do I need to add more?

Thanks

fishrdan

Admiral

1/2 ounce of acetone in how much paint?

Sounds like you need to reduce it more. When I've sprayed Rustoleum I used paint thinner to reduce, allowed more time for the paint to flow out. I don't know how much I reduced the paint, just dumped some in until I got a good spray pattern, it wasn't much though. I should add that I was spraying when it was hot outside 90-100 and the paint thinner would evaporate pretty quickly, the paint was non-tacky within a 1/2 hour.

Wcsweb

Seaman

UPDATE!

I started spaying today. I had some orange peel but I added more acetone and that helped out. This is the first coat. It is not perfect but I'm overall happy with the results so far.

I thought it would be alot more glossy however it is not and thats the way I wanted it to be.

Am I able to wet sand this paint?

Here are a few pics before and after.

bb65.jpg

DSCF4655.jpg

DSCF4653.jpg

JustJason

Vice Admiral

you may want to research rustoleums website and see what they recommend for air pressures and tip size on your gun.
Yes you can wetsand rustoleum enamal. I'd personally wait double the time it says on the can. Then 4-600 wet oughta do ya. After that, follow up with a coat or 2 of clear coat. Then your favorite wax.

trayscool

Seaman Apprentice

that looks really good in the pictures. remember that no paint job is going to look as fresh as factory gel coat

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the clear is what really puts the shine on it.

Wcsweb

Seaman

I got a total of 3 coats on her now and she is really looking awesome. Still a lil bit of orange peel but really not a big deal. Getting the air pressure set correctly and the amount of thinner was the key to a good spray.

I'm now at the point, trying to decide if I should wet sand it down and then clear coat it, or just leave her as is.

Any input? I will be posting some more pics in a little while.....:)