Going to try Rustoleum to paint entire Boat

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Going to try Rustoleum to paint entire Boat

leaving her as is makes touch ups a whole lot easier.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Clear coat is not required. Car painters will tell you that a solid color doesn't need clear, only pearls, metallics, etc. need clear. If you want a really smooth finish, let the paint cure fully first. After it is cured, wet sand it with 1500 grit paper just enough to knock the orange peel down, ane then bufff it. It will come out like glass.

I have painted cars solid colors followed by color sanding and buffing and the finish comes out show car quality.

Here is a lnk where a guy painted a car with rustoleum. He rolled the paint on, but the final sand and buff will be the same. You can see the results in the link.

I tried the technique in the link on an old door skin from the car I'm restoring and the results were very good. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. I will also be putting a metallic color on this car so won't be using rustoleum on this one, but may in the future on other projects.

Molaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned adding a hardner to the paint. Would this not be advisable? Or can a hardner be added to Rustoleum enamel?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

There is no catalyst (Hardener) available for standard rustoleum. However, rustoleum industrial coatings can be used with a catalyst.

cnr2003

Seaman

I got a total of 3 coats on her now and she is really looking awesome. Still a lil bit of orange peel but really not a big deal. Getting the air pressure set correctly and the amount of thinner was the key to a good spray.

I'm now at the point, trying to decide if I should wet sand it down and then clear coat it, or just leave her as is.

Any input? I will be posting some more pics in a little while.....:)

I painted mine with white rustoleum paint through a sprayer just like you. I used metal primer first and then one heavy coat of paint. I didn't have any orange peel and it turned out nice and glossy. I did not clear coat it and it has been four years and has held up great.

Wcsweb

Seaman

Hello,

I'm almost complete. Pics coming soon.

Question is how do you apply sand to the floor for an anti slip? My floor is real slippery almost busted my butt on it today.

Thanks

Jason 641

Seaman

Hello,

I'm almost complete. Pics coming soon.

Question is how do you apply sand to the floor for an anti slip? My floor is real slippery almost busted my butt on it today.

Thanks

Add Sand to the bucket of paint, mix it up, and roll it on. Rustoleum has its own type of sand that you can add to the paint, but really any brand will work.

Wcsweb

Seaman

Add Sand to the bucket of paint, mix it up, and roll it on. Rustoleum has its own type of sand that you can add to the paint, but really any brand will work.

Thank you, should I use a certain kind of roller?

Also I have a ton of sand around my home. Think I can use it without any problems?

Last edited:

Wcsweb

Seaman

OK got play sand and a roller. I put about 2 cups of sand in a lil more than a quart of paint. I rolled it on. I went on a little uneven. Some spots have more sand in them than others.

Any suggestions?

jcsercsa

Captain

Its sounds like you needed to mix it better !!! I dont think you can fix it , except sand it again and repaint it !!!!

Pics we want pics !!! I am still thinking, I might use Rustoleum, there is a place in detroit that makes marine paint ,ts 45 mins from here and havent made it that far south !!!! John

Jason 641

Seaman

You really need to keep mixing it after you put the sand in, because it will start to settle and you will get concentrated areas like you are talking about. It is hard to get it perfectly even.

Wcsweb

Seaman

It doesnt look bad it is just heavy in some spots. Its got some good grip now.

So far this paint I think is great paint.

I havnt put it to the full on test yet, only time will tell that one. I put on about 4 light coats and I'm real happy with the results. The orange peel is real minimal.

I will have you some better pics tomorrow.

DSCF4728.jpg

DSCF4730.jpg

DSCF4731.jpg

jcsercsa

Captain

OOOOHHH YEA that does look great !!! cant wait to see it in the full light !!!! great job !!!! john

reelfishin

Captain

There are non skid additives for paint which are lighter than sand and don't tend to settle. I've bought them from the local paint store before.
I've also used glass bead and sand, but like stated above, you have to really keep mixing the sand in to keep in the paint. I find it works better to sift the sand onto the wet paint between coats, then to apply a final light coat over top to seal it in. I did that on the floor of my old garage, it worked great and looked excellent. I just kept a bag of sand in my pocket as I worked my way across the garage. I re-coated it the following day. I was using epoxy paint.

tboss

Seaman Apprentice

If you want a good high gloss on the hull You need to thin the paint just a little more than usual and fan your gon as wide as she will go and raise you air pressure abrt 10psi and hold your gun at a small angle with it abt 12 inches from the hull and make sure you over lap the coat abt 1/2 way over the last pass. move the gun at a moderate speed and be sure to keep the coat wet most paint is very forgiven when it comes to runs just dont stop the gun with the trigger on. Remember to over alp 1/2 way and KEEP THE PAINT WET. Where did I get my information it comes from me spraypainting dump truck bodies for years with sikkins paint. If you wind up with a small sag or run in the finished product take a cigarette filter and bearly touch it to the bottom of the sag and it will suck the sag rite off the hull.let it dry sand it with 2000 grit and polish it right out. and wala you will have a profesional looking job. tboss

Wcsweb

Seaman

Thank you for all the great responses. I'm pretty much done painting now and I'm starting to put her back back together.

Here are a few more pics. You can also check out my link below with even more pics. I'm real happy with the outcome. And it has been more work than I thought. And there is still plenty to go....

http://s457.photobucket.com/albums/qq296/thewhere/

DSCF4744.jpg

DSCF4746.jpg

DSCF4748.jpg

DSCF4763.jpg

DSCF4768.jpg

DSCF4764.jpg

jcsercsa

Captain

Sharp really looks sharp !!!! Great Job !!!! I am going to try the roller and tip method !!! just cause don't want to spray in the attached garage !!!

She does look great !! john

Wcsweb

Seaman

Thank You. I think using the roll and tip method is prolly less of a hassle then spraying. I rolled the lines on the boat and rolled the floor. I was really surprised how good it looked after rolling the lines after 2 coats.

I noticed if you go back over what you just rolled just roll it again to pop the air bubbles you dont even have to use the paint brush.

More pics coming soon as I start putting her back together.

By the way I used almost 3 Gallons of paint.

Recruit

Seaman Apprentice

i have two questions for you. first off, i was looking at the rustoleum marine paints nd they have top side and under coating paints. do i need to use the under coating paint? im just doing a 14' alluminum boat which will be on the trailer unless we are out fishing. it's in minnesota so all fresh water up here. second question i have is about this roll tip method people keep talking about. what is it? i am doing my first rebuild on my first ever boat and have been on this site a few times a day but i still am just learning.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

second question i have is about this roll tip method people keep talking about. what is it?

I had the same question a few years back until I searched Youtube for "roll and tip". That search got me to several videos that are just a couple minutes long. Try searching for something on Youtube. It is much easier to watch the process than it is to describe. After watching you will understand why it is called "roll and tip".