Will this respirator work?

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, so moms works for fords... She got me a respirator is this what I need to use? Yes, I play the guitar and thats my other child.. Just thought I would throw it in there..

1017080047.jpg

1017080048.jpg

Its a 3m...

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Will this respirator work?

If you are talking about spraying 2 part poly with isocyanates then the legal technical answer is, no. Every paint manufacturer recommend full face positive pressure air fed mask.

From a practical perspective, the answer is yes, it will do the job. Get the best organic/pesticide filters you can find (P100 rating) and get the mask adjustments nice and snug (clean shaven is best). Paint in a well ventilated area but be mindful of wind direction and neighbors. Walk away from the job every so often (between coats) and test the mask against fresh air. Change filters if required. Don't forget to cover all skin and eyes.

i386

Captain

That's the same one I have. Mine works great. Are you spraying or rolling?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

What type of work are you using it for? Sanding, glassing, painting?

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Grinding fiberglass. Im out in the garage with the doors open for now.

erikgreen

Captain

That's the type I use for things. Note that I don't work at all with any particularly toxic paints, and I use a different respirator if I weld things.

It's a standard 3m design, and you can get replacement cartridges for it at most home improvement places. The cartridges use activated carbon filters plus an over filter of white fabric held on with a clip (which you don't have).

NOTE: The carbon part of the filter WEARS OUT IF EXPOSED TO AIR. Once it's open, it's wearing out by absorbing ambient chemicals. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for replacement on schedule.

If the one you got has been open a while, it may be useless for filtering anything but dust at the moment...

Erik

1970kayhydro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got it sealed in the bag and the next one will be the same way tonight because the stupid puppy climbed up and chewed that one all up! Talk about getting up to a bad note, first thing I find! Used it for 1 hour last nite!! I guess I should take the cartridges and put them in a ziplock thats about all that is left. Well thanks for all the info. I won't be painting till early spring and that will probably be done out side.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not a musician, but I don't think you need a respirator to play .... :)
That one will work fine. Don't cheat or work without it and wait for the air to clear before you remove it. A fan or water will help a bunch.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

BE CAREFU!!!

for dust and regular organic vapors that will work fine if you keep it in a plastic bag between uses, etc...

However, the ONLY cartridge filter that has been tested with success against isocyanate-based sprayed paint is the 3m combination particulate and carbon cartridge set-up. The others that were tested against HMDI, TDI and MDI based paints ALL let some through, especially the carbon only filters (the aerosolized droplets of isocyanate make it through the carbon only filters).

Also, for isocyanayte based paints, if you can start to smell it, the cartridges are saturated and you are already WAY over the recommended exposure limits. The ONLY way to safely use filter cartridge-ased respirators for spraying isocyanate-based urethane paints is to use the cartridges once and then throw them away. This is the reason that they will never be recommended - people will get lazy and tight and not replace them... and potentially even die because of it...

rolling the above paints is not very risky at all... the vapor pressure of the isocyanates is very low in general...

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used that one for some inside resin work and did not smell a thing.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

for grinding and glassing you will be just fine.....just make sure the seal is good around your face........

i have found all resporators work very poorly when they are hanging around your neck instead of being on your face. a poor one will not fit right, and it will be on the bench or around your neck