Rolling vs. spraying Awlgrip

gregstukey

Seaman
Anyone had any experience rolling Awlgrip versus spraying it? What type of roller was used and did you tip it with a brush? How was the "orange peeling" intensity with rolling? Did you clear-coat and was that rolled?

Thanks---
-Greg

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Rolling vs. spraying Awlgrip

If I were going to roll it, I would seriously consider por15 hardnose instead. It's very similar chemistry, but can be wetsanded like imron without losing surface hardness / gloss (after buffing on gloss). It's made to be put on even by a brush. I've sprayed and brushed or rolled it as well as their Glisten clear coat and both flow out well and can be thinned. They cure very slowly copared to awlgrip or imron, have great adhesion (glisten can be used on polished mag wheels, etc... it's what I painted my polished aluminum exhaust manifolds with), and are absolutely tough as nails once fully cured. You can also wetsand imperfections out and buff it easily in the first few days before it fully hardens up. I've had such a good experience with some of the test pieces I've done with Glisten - including manifolds, mag wheels, etc.., that I'm going to do the topside of my metalflake / clear boat with it next time I tear it apart. Just some food for thought.

don't spray it without proper safety equipment - same bad actors as imron and awlgrip.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Home depot has both 5 and 7 inch foam rollers in a very tight closed cell foam, i do not remeber the spefic name brand but i do know its called a contractors pack. Just make sure what ever you use that it does not break up in the paint ...

daviscfad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think if i was going to spray it i would get fine roller and definitely tip it or just do it with a brush the whole way

gregstukey

Seaman

Im apprenticing in the paint shop/mechanics shop at a reputable shipyard but so far all I've done is sprayed and repaired Awlgrip. Not tried to roll or brush. If I rolled it would I still apply 3-4 coats of topcoat and would you clearcoat it (after any repairs and 545 of course...)?

also any secrets to minimizing texture? Thinning? without having to wetsand/buff the whole boat?

Thanks,
-Greg