1948 Century Resorter Restoration

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well the fun has begun,

I finally got her home and currently have her on the trailer
Been getting the garage ready for this project

As luck would have it I have run into my first issue on this project.
Seems a earlier owner had decided to start restoring her from the top down
What a mistake that was for a wood plank boat
Seems he tried to replace some of the topside frames on the starboard side
the issue for me is that he never securely attached them to the bottom side frames
He also removed all the top side planking on that side as well (arghhh)
Needless to say, I will be spending the next few days stabilizing the hull prior to getting her off the trailer.
Then it looks like some time spent squaring her up is in order
Looks like a trip to the lumber yard is in store for me tomorrow for some bracing material

Really looking forward to this project

will post some pictures this weekend

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: 1948 Century Resorter Restoration

Hi there bipshoft, and welcome !!!

Sounfs like your in the right place !! there are a great bunch of great guys here !! were all here to help all we can !!

Looking forward to more , and we all love pics !! John

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

document your restore for the complete probjects forum. we don't have any wooden boats there.

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the kind words all

Currently putting away all the pieces that came with the boat
It's kind of like a big jig saw puzzle :)

As soon as I get her emptied I will begin the process of stabilizing the hull so I can get her off the trailer

I really love all the great info I have found on this forum

Pictures to follow later tonight or tomorrow

thanks all

-bips

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just finished clearing up the old wood from the hull
Like I mentioned, this is gonna be a big puzzle putting her back together :)
Been working on getting her as square as possible
I have a few clamps in place and am currently trying to screw as many pieces in place as possible

Hope to have the hull stable and ready to move into the garage sometime tomorrow

Pics to follow tomorrow

-bips

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry for the delay in posting and the lack of pictures
I ordered new memory for my digital camera and of course it came in with issues. New memory is on the way

I have actually got the hull stabilized, but have held off on moving her into the garage. Spent the last few days getting ready for winter up here in NH

The move is scheduled for Friday now, Have been working on getting keel supports ready for her, borrowed a friends digital to grab a few picts

I plan on utilizing these keel support towers with a 6x6 support running the length of the keel

I figure that 3 of these with a 6x6 along the length of the keel ought to work for the short term.

Once she is garaged, its time to finish gutting her and work on getting her flipped

-bips

Attachments

• DSCN1932_small.jpg
    DSCN1932_small.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1930_small.jpg
    DSCN1930_small.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

That's going to be a great project to follow.
I will be glad to help if I can, as I mentioned before I have a couple of great books by Don Danenberg on the subject of Wooden Runabout restoration from that era.

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Maxum

I have the Danenburg books as well. They are full of fantastic info

-bips

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Are you a member of the ACBS (Antique and Classic Boat Society)? I am sure there is a local chapter and I can guarantee the members will be able to provide more help than you could ask for. I'm in Indiana and there are quite a few places that one could turn to for excellent help in restoring a woodie.

http://acbs.org/

www.necacbs.org

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I finally got the boat off the trailer and in the garage
My 21 year old step-son and his friend flew up from the Dallas area so I put them to work
Was quite the experience for the both of them.

As you can see I have the boat temporarily blocked up in the garage
Been working on taking pictures and creating drawings of the boat for future reference

Now that I have her in the garage I am trying to come up with a game plan for this restoration
I have come to the conclusion that it may be best to try and strip her down as far as possible prior to rolling her over
Since it is only me and the wife, I want her as light as possible....then we get to try and roll her before the nasty N.H. winter sets in

Also was able to locate some local sources for white oak lumber as well as mahogany planking materials

Any thoughts regarding my game plan? Any ideas are appreciated

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

Your first concern will be bracing the boat properly, before removing the planking.

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

maxum

Forgot to mention that I am currently working on that

looking for some heavy duty caster wheels as well

I plan on dopping the boat a few feet lower onto a dolly type structure that will include proper keel support

thanks for the input

-bips

maxum247

Lieutenant

Add silicon bronze fastener's and "Clear Penatrating Epoxy Sealer" to your list of materials. Any bolts used should be silicon bronze also. To retain the value of the boat do not use "epoxy resin or fiberglass cloth on this project. Bedding compound is allowed. This info is from Danebergs runabout edition book.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

Home at last.

Looking at the stem and surrounding planks and frames up at the bow it appears you are in for a steam bending class.

this looks interesting and posting the link is much easier than describing the procedure here

http://www.wcha.org/tidbits/steamfaq.html

I should add that my past experience with minor bends(approx. 6") in 12ft mahogany transom planks was accomplished by raising the plank(s) up off the garage floor on each end and placing weight in the middle of the plank(October) and installing the following June without any steaming.

Oh, and save everything you take off to use for a template.

Hows it going picking the plugs out of the countersunk screws ?? There's a couple of months...EZ. lol !

Enjoy

maxum247

Lieutenant

Ice pick! Punch the plug in the center and split it, then remove with the ice pick.

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Maxum,

I read about the ice pick and thats what I have been doing, works great

Seven Up,

Looks to me that the worst of the bending will be the chimes, thanks for the link

-bips

maxum247

Lieutenant

How's the frame work looking? Seems the exposed ends of the frames didn't get a lot of attention during assembly letting moisture and dirt have it's way with the frame ends over the years on some of the older boats.

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Maxum

The frame work looks pretty rough, probably be replacing over 75% of it at least.

Gonna be a interesting experience :)

been toying with the double planked 5200 hull as Danenberg advocates

Any thoughts?

maxum247

Lieutenant

Even with 5200 used in reconstruction today with the compound curve's associated with some of the boat hulls extra care has to be taken to keep from creating air space between the planking layer's. As mentioned in Danenbergs writings I feel 5200 is probably the best sorce for repairing the bottom planking, on a boat that will be used regularly, it appears to allow movement of the bottom planking for a better ride and extends the 6 to 10 year window that would be assoicated with useing canvas and bedding compound. Sounds as though CPES "Clear Penatrating Epoxy Sealer" plays an important roll in the future removal of planking when useing 5200.