76 Hydrostream Vector Restoration

76Vector

Cadet
New to i boats.

I have a 1976 Hydrostream Vector that I got with a friend and we later found out that we shouldn't have gotten it with the problems it has! The floor was half assed repaired once already so it is 75% gutted and waiting for a core and a new floor. Don't know if I want to continue unless I have guidance and the money to complete.

How do I check the transom for rot even if it seems okay? In reality it probably isn't!! I have the resources to get help via my vocational high school to make it easier but I want someone who has done this type of repair before to lend a hand in guidance. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Matt

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 76 Hydrostream Vector Restoration

hi matt..

welcome to i boats......

you can get all the guidance you need right from this forum.....the guys here really know there stuff and can walk you right thru the entire project step by step.......

assuming the motor and drive are good.....(if its not....it will cost you huge)

the first thing you have to do is read ....read...read....

the compleated projects forum is great....see..."skanky beast" by jason j.

there is also a few active restorations going on here right now......

jcserca's pick of work so far...is a re-fit of a tri hull....
erik green's unintentional stringer job.

and some idiot on here cut his boat in half and made it longer :eek::D
there is a lot of detail in that thread....(hull extension in progress)

as far as finding out about the transom.....search "core sample".....use the drill bit method......

its a lot of labor to re fit a boat....but well worth it.

cheers
oops

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

hi matt..

welcome to i boats......

you can get all the guidance you need right from this forum.....the guys here really know there stuff and can walk you right thru the entire project step by step.......

assuming the motor and drive are good.....(if its not....it will cost you huge)

the first thing you have to do is read ....read...read....

the compleated projects forum is great....see..."skanky beast" by jason j.

there is also a few active restorations going on here right now......

jcserca's pick of work so far...is a re-fit of a tri hull....
erik green's unintentional stringer job.

and some idiot on here cut his boat in half and made it longer :eek::D
there is a lot of detail in that thread....(hull extension in progress)

as far as finding out about the transom.....search "core sample".....use the drill bit method......

its a lot of labor to re fit a boat....but well worth it.

cheers
oops
HEY, wasn't that idiot who cut his boat in half YOU :rolleyes::D One of the best restoration threads I've seen so far, excellent work oops!

76Vector

Cadet

Nope, that wasn't me!!!! I like to think that I am smarter than that! Most of the time anyways. I will continue reading the threads and getting ideas because I really don't want to scrap the boat project. Would feel better if I did it myself.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Nope, that wasn't me!!!! I like to think that I am smarter than that! Most of the time anyways. I will continue reading the threads and getting ideas because I really don't want to scrap the boat project. Would feel better if I did it myself.
I was talking about OOPS!, he is the one who cut his boat in half :D As for doing it youself there is nothing like the feeling :cool: when I finish with my resto I will know every detail of my boat personally and will never have to wonder while on the water.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Fix it and post pics.Youll know what you have rather than buying a patch job somebody else did

i386

Captain

I say if you just want a boat, don't restore that one. It's more work than you would ever imagine to restore one. It takes a LOT of time and money.

If you want the satisfaction of restoring one and have the time and money I say go for it. It's hard, nasty, itchy work. You will need to make decisions about details you never knew existed in a boat. It's very rewarding, at least to me, to be able to take something that doesn't work and make it good again. It's also rewarding to take a piece of the past and bring it forward instead of letting it be forgotten. Maybe you want to restore a boat, but not that one. Find one that fits your needs and speaks to you in some way. Restore something you want to keep. It's too much work to just sell off when you're done.

My $.02

76Vector

Cadet

I can't load pictures for some reason? How do I get them to load?

jcsercsa

Captain

I can't load pictures for some reason? How do I get them to load?

Hay man !!! welcome , this is the place for you , we all will help all we can !!

to load pics on here you have to load them in a place like Photo bucket , then after you get them loaded there , under your pic there will be 4 boxs right click the bottom one and hit copy , then come to i boats and post it on your post !! John