Respirator and sanding

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here we go again...used a full face respirator and sanded for about a half an hour outside...i was sanding down some areas on the boat..it is a chemical respirator and when I opened up the cartridges etc...there was nothing in the mask or in the cartridge areas that resembled the white fiberglass...clean as a whistle...Am I okay by doing this...or is there another mask I should be using...thanks guys...just being mental again...

divimon2000

Seaman
Re: Respirator and sanding

Hmm, the only time i've seen this, is when a friend did had the same problem only to find it wasnt tight and he was breathing from the sides, not the filters. I use a particle filter, btw for glass and wood.

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i was breathing through the filters...I have a nice tight fit on the respirator...

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was using a chemical respirator but it had a white fiber prefilter. I never really saw any build up until I dropped the mask one day and there was a cloud of very fine dust.

I just figured that the bigger stuff just kind of fell off during the sanding, leaving the small, less visible stuff behind. The filter was also the color of the epoxy dust, and that didn't help show the amount of dust in the filter

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

took off the cartridges and beat them and no dust came out...

i386

Captain

My sander collects most of the dust in the bag. If I connect the shop vac, there's very little dust at all.

When I'm using the grinder, that's a different story. My mask collects plenty of it.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you were using a full face resporator....and the inside of the mask was clean.....it was doing its job.....AND...you were sanding out side....lots of guys dont use masks out side.......

one thing....just make sure your cartridges are for fiberglass....call your local safety supply and ask them what cartridges to use....the will tell you.....

but a full face resporator is the cats meow