Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now



We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to our Fiberglass section.
See more
See less

Transom paint?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transom paint?

    In the process of replacing my transom and fixing some small damage to the outside of the transom I san ded through the gelcote in a couple places. DO I need to re-gelcote the entimre transom area? Can I leave it? Can I paint it? What type of paint? Does itneed to be antifouling, and if so, can I get it in white? It'll only bein fresh water, maybe 10 times a year, and on a trailer between trips.

  • #2
    Re: Transom paint?

    no you dont need to re gellcoat the entire transom....

    there is a product called patch aid from composits one that is mixed with gellcoat that will work great....the repair can be made invisible.

    you can also use a body filler like poly fair....and sand the area smooth....

    there are a ton of paints on the market for marine use......(and no...you do not need to use anti fouling paint for the hull in fresh water)

    paints called awl grip, and emmeron are famous.......just hit search

    The Hull Extension Thread
    great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.


    IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

    IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
    November 29 2010 RIP


    • #3
      Re: Transom paint?

      I agree with oops on the general principle of his statement however both the Awlgrip and Imron are two part products. Really expensive, hard to apply by a beginner ( both are spray recommended - but not necessary ). Another suggestion would be to use a single part product such as Easypoxy ( pettit paints ) or Briteside ( interlux paint ).
      You're gonna' have some left over ( quarts are the smallest size available ) but at least it will not be so hard on your pocketbook. Another plus is the fact that the shelf life on a single part paint is a little longer that two pacs
      ( not mixed of course ). Just a thought.
      Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance


      • #4
        Sign up today
        Re: Transom paint?

        Thanks for the input, I'll research those products.


        Back to Top