Grady White Fuel Tank Floor Cover

LX Kid

Ensign
My '82 GW has two fuel tanks in the floor and the foward flooring tank cover was spongy. Removed it and found the underside fiberglass had failed and split open. Cut out damaged f/glass and found wood "wet." Don't even want to think about how water got into it cause you'd think the boat would have to be sitting under water. Question is why did they make the tank cover useing 6x6 inch squares of plywood instead of solid sheet of plywood?

S6001073.jpg

S6001072.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Grady White Fuel Tank Floor Cover

i have no idea, but, i would replace the whole cover.

LX Kid

Ensign

I'm going to rebuild the cover with solid sheet and see how it goes. If it does'nt work out I can always do something else later. This baby needs to get in the water cause I only have 3 more days on my 3-week restoration project! Ha, did I ever misjudge this project. Maybe 4-week project will get it done. This is a pic of the cover on the boats floor. Ron

S6001046.jpg

WizeOne

Commander

My '82 GW has two fuel tanks in the floor and the foward flooring tank cover was spongy. Removed it and found the underside fiberglass had failed and split open. Cut out damaged f/glass and found wood "wet." Don't even want to think about how water got into it cause you'd think the boat would have to be sitting under water. Question is why did they make the tank cover useing 6x6 inch squares of plywood instead of solid sheet of plywood?

S6001073.jpg

S6001072.jpg

Looks to me like they were just using up scrap wood. Too bad there aren't any plywood experts about. That just might redefine the term 'buying cheap'.

Be sure that you saturate your new filler piece in resin, top, bottom and especially all endgrains.

LX Kid

Ensign

I can't even begin to figure out how the covers' "bottom" got saturated in water. Seems like the only way would be if the fuel tank bay filled up with water. I know that this boat sat trailered a long time, uncovered, out in the open. The last registration sticker was from 1999 on the bow.

WizeOne

Commander

Surely the gas tank bays have drains in them? Of course that would have done no good if they never pulled the transom drain plug.

D

DJ

Not what I would expect from "Grady". Disappointing.

Use one sheet of stabilzed (dried) plywood. It might make some sense to add a couple of strips, underneath, to make sure the ply doesn't warp. Ply has a tendency to do that.

I think you've got it. Good job!

LX Kid

Ensign

Here's work progresion in pics. I put in a couple of extra support runners to take a little more weight. My son took care of the demolition and refiberglassing. It turned out solid and just have to see it's serviceablility over time. Ron

S6001086.jpg

S6001089.jpg

S6001090.jpg

S6001092.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If you look at the squares you will notice that the grain of each block is going in a different direction. This is done to help with dimensional stability in an effort to keep the hatches flat over time. As stated earlier, plywood will warp.

You ask how did the moisture get in there, either your deck plates or the hatch seams where leaking. The water wicks up under the hatch and just hangs there. Check to make sure that the glass has not been compromised anywhere

BTW: That's one ugly tank. Obviously the cover was leaking for it to look that bad. Have to taken it out for inspection? The bottom is first to go.

Replace all the hoses while your in there ;)

jonesg

Admiral

Plywood has each layer in alternating directions,

that wood is just parquet flooring, its not marine wood.
Makes no sense to use parquet, no sense at any level.

Its a previous owner mistake.

Btw, the reason parquet alternates the direction of the grain isn't for strength or eye appeal, its to reduce reflected glare from the floor.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Plywood has each layer in alternating directions,

that wood is just parquet flooring, its not marine wood.
Makes no sense to use parquet, no sense at any level.

Its a previous owner mistake.

Btw, the reason parquet alternates the direction of the grain isn't for strength or eye appeal, its to reduce reflected glare from the floor.

That is factory installation.

It's not parquet flooring. It?s the differing grain orientations you?re looking at. They used small squares instead of a single sheet of plywood so they can orient the grain to utilize its strength in relation to the dimensions of the panel.

The smaller blocks will also cause far less stress / warping than a single peice of plywood.

LX Kid

Ensign

Anyone have any ideas on how to test fuel tanks for leaks without removing them. How about putting a couple gallons in and "low" pressure on filler neck? Then smell tank area for possible leaks. Or low tank pressurization, with a guage affixed, to see if it bleeds down. (I REALLY DON'T WANT TO REMOVE THEM!!!!!!) Ron

jonesg

Admiral

That is factory installation.

It's not parquet flooring. It?s the differing grain orientations you?re looking at. They used small squares instead of a single sheet of plywood so they can orient the grain to utilize its strength in relation to the dimensions of the panel.

The smaller blocks will also cause far less stress / warping than a single peice of plywood.

they don't add anything far as I can see except weight, soon as you step on it the seams want to seperate.
Preventing warps is accomplished by the lip, plywood backing prevents dips.

rngale

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The only way i know to test a fuel tank for leaks is to plug off all openings and attach an air fitting and a pressure guage to to ports. fill the tank with 3-5 psi, shut the air valve off and see if it hold air. If it doesnt spray a soap and water solution around the fittings first then in the areas of the tank until you find the leak. DO NOT EXCEED THE 3 TO 5 PSI LIMIT.

scottie3

Recruit

How did this part of the project go? I have a 85 tournament, 19' and am about to try to find out why the main tank is not working right (the after-market aux. tank is working fine).

Did you find out what you thought was the best way to test for leaks? Please share.

Are you done with the entire project?

Thank you.

LX Kid

Ensign

How did this part of the project go? I have a 85 tournament, 19' and am about to try to find out why the main tank is not working right (the after-market aux. tank is working fine).

Did you find out what you thought was the best way to test for leaks? Please share.

Are you done with the entire project?

Thank you.

Well it's been 5 years and still holding strong. No spongy or give in it anywhere. (Guess I'm a little late in my response but after five years it is lasting pretty well.)

LX Kid

Ensign
Forgot to add that after having both tanks leaks repaired we pretty much filled up the fuel bays with foam before squeezing the the covers back on. I'm sure it has helped with tank condensation.